An attribute for Keeper's blunders?

I've been wondering which attribute/combination of attributes defined the chance of a keeper conceding silly goals...

Like failing to cover the near post, or the infamous "Green" and "Taibi"...

I guess it's a mix of Consistency, low Handlig/Positioning, but wouldn't it be easier having a "Howler Proneness", as often said horrors come from keepers who normally are quite good?

Also, how does Eccentricity really work?

I take a 20 can be Higuita (or Pfaff?), with all his crazy style and sweeper-keeper antics. But a 1? And how does it affect the chance of producing one of the aforementioned blunders?

You never know which keeper is going to do a howler until it happens though.

In FM probably.

But in real life there are keepers who are national team material BUT who are also known (and "feared") for their tendency to ruin a flawless performance with amateurish mistakes.

"Calamity" James is a good example, Van der Sar was like that (and didn't he have one just a few weeks ago?), Dida in his early and late days had very soapy hands [he wasn't called "Didaster" for nothing], Eduardo has been doing a lot of weird stuff, Muslera is the poster boy of the "89 minutes of goodness, 1 of madness. we lost" category.

The Norwegian league provides blunders on a weekly basis even from international keepers...

All those keepers aren't really poor though, not to the point, IMO, of deserving low/average attributes to successfully replicate their blunders in real life. That's why I think there should be an easier "formula" to determine how often a generally speaking GOOD keeper can concede a facepalm-worth goal.

I don't believe that really. I think its more of a combination of low concentration, low consistency and low handling, and the keeper generally being overrated sometimes.

I wouldn't say that IRL there is actually a howler factor. I think its a combination of their bad rep sticking, them being a bit overrated initally, and coincidence.

Its all a factor that the press tend to overplay a mistake to death with repeated mentions and replays. I wonder how many howlers Gordan Banks made irl

Completely agree. The English press in particular seem to judge keepers purely on number of howlers, number of superb saves (like the Gordon one which had the pundits screaming), and whether they punch or catch crosses (punching =bad, catching = good).

That in turn suggests that both Friedel and Given are the best keepers in the league, when they're actually both average keepers, are have rightfully never played regularly for a big club (as I believe Friedel was back-up at Liverpool). At the moment the best keeper in the Premier League is easily Reina, but because he occasionally makes blunders in big games, apparently he's ****. Same with Spurs' Gomes, who I'd rate as second to Reina.

Having a 'howler proneness' attribute in FM would be stupid. I already dislike the Eccentricity attribute enough as it is, but I suppose when you have keepers like Barthez and Higuita around, perhaps it's understandable. It just annoys me that the best keeper of this generation in Buffon supposedly has high eccentricity. Maybe he is an eccentric person, but he is still a superb goalkeeper, and his eccentricity effects his goalkeeping in no way. However in FM he'll stand unnecessarily far off his line and get chipped every so often which is completely unrealistic for Buffon.

Archived