Roberto Mancini

First off, not complaining of a bug, just an unrealistic situation in my game.

It is now 2017.

Mancini got fired from City, his next job was Chelsea. He got fired again and ended up at Man Utd. Now Arsenal have poached him.

I find it silly that he has managed 4 big clubs, getting fired from 2 of them.

He hasn't managed outside England at all, whereas IRL I'd expect him to go back to Italy after he finishes with City.

Other managers that have silly career records are Quique Flores and Ancellotti.

Flores came to the UK to take over from Mancini. He then went to Arsenal, now he is at Liverpool.

Ancellotti went from Chelsea to United (not fired).

They all seem to be exchanging jobs, possibly because I refuse to accept any of them (have been offered City job twice).

What you've said there does seem a bit unrealistic, but it's impossible to predict real-life. You do get bizarre managerial appointments on FM and in real-life. I do see your point though

I'm sure if i saw Pardew appointed Newcastle manager on my save a month ago I would have thought that was very unrealistic!

Actually, this is a basic feature that certainly used to exist.

If a manager manages a certain club, he was added to disliked personel for their rival clubs.

On this basis the game wouldn't allow things like Benitez ending up at Man Utd.

Am I expecting too much? I don't think so. For me, this is up there with Messi going to Real Madrid or Ronaldo being sold to Barcelona. It would never happen.

Mourinho won't take the Man City job because he wants the United one in the future. On FM he could go from Real to Barca to City to United to Liverpool.

If a manager manages a certain club, he was added to disliked personel for their rival clubs.

Hmmn, that sounds good but maybe only if after a while you were taken off it or something. I wouldn't like to have had a couple of average seasons at say 'Spurs, get sacked and maybe like 5/6 years later not get the Arsenal job as they now hate me.

Hmmn, that sounds good but maybe only if after a while you were taken off it or something. I wouldn't like to have had a couple of average seasons at say 'Spurs, get sacked and maybe like 5/6 years later not get the Arsenal job as they now hate me.

But that's pretty much how it is.

When George Graham made the opposite move, it was not met with delight.

Is it a realistic game if you manage 2 rivals? Boca and River, Everton and Liverpool, Rangers and Celtic?

One thing that's been suggested as a problem in the Man City data issues thread is that Mancini has high defensive stats which may not work out too well in the game. City regularly underachieve on the game and Mancini is fired quite often so this could be the reason.

Happened on all my saves if he gets sacked from City then Mancini will always end up at one of the big clubs in England. I have seen him got from City to Chelsea to Man United and then Arsenal. On my current save City sacked him and he got the Liverpool job. I am not sure if he is over rated but his stats are amazing along with his reputation it is no wonder he keeps getting big jobs.

I think that the game has a very limited range of coaches to big teams. It's always the same 5 or 6 coaches that manage Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc. It would be nice if sometimes they hired a manager who isn't that famous but had a good season with another team (like Domingos did with Braga).

Bigdano - Am I expecting too much? I don't think so. For me, this is up there with Messi going to Real Madrid or Ronaldo being sold to Barcelona. It would never happen.

If you cast your mind back a number of years ago - there were some transfers like this. Figo and Michael Laudrup are probably the biggest ones. It has happened but i do agree though that the two you quote will probably not happen.

On this basis the game wouldn't allow things like Benitez ending up at Man Utd.

Am I expecting too much? I don't think so. For me, this is up there with Messi going to Real Madrid or Ronaldo being sold to Barcelona. It would never happen.

Mourinho won't take the Man City job because he wants the United one in the future. On FM he could go from Real to Barca to City to United to Liverpool.

This should be unnecessary, to be honest. Relationships simply need to be transitive.

For example: The game decides it would be a good idea for a Manchester United legend to become a Liverpool manager. However, another part of the code discovers that:

Liverpool consider Manchester United a fierce rival

Manchester United consider this person a legend

This is transitivity - there is a common theme (Manchester United) between the two relationships of the manager and Liverpool - and they are not compatible.

So an algorithm would be: Make a list of all relationships of a manager, and make a list of relationships of the club. If any are incompatible, then reject (with some probability?).

It doesn't have to be clubs. If a person hated Steven Gerrard, he would be unlikely to become Liverpool manager as they probably wouldn't like him hating a legend of theirs. Liverpool - Gerrard - Manager - another relationship triad.

And it doesn't have to be hate, although we have to be careful of the order of things. If Manchester United favour Ryan Giggs who favours someone else, then Manchester United may favour that other person, although possibly only slightly.

And is the enemy of your enemy your friend? It largely depends but if two managers hate a common foe, they could well start ganging-up on him in the media.

This could help build a "pool" of favourites where a club that has lots of players favouring each other leads to a very harmonious club because everyone is friends with everyone else and if not, they know a common friend. The same goes for backroom staff. And it helps to identify outsiders - if a player at Manchester United likes Liverpool, he could be shunned by less-professional and loyal players, or the fans could never accept him as a legend (unless he scores a hat-trick against them, perhaps).

And of course it shouldn't always be set in stone - Sir Matt Busby played for Manchester City, but managed Manchester United.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

Mancini got fired from City, his next job was Chelsea. He got fired again and ended up at Man Utd. Now Arsenal have poached him.

Now: he has gone to Liverpool, then Inter Milan, then Manchester City, now unemployed. Waiting for him to get a job at United again, just to make it super unrealistic.

Mancini has had several big jobs in my save (including Italy and being re-appointed at Man City before being sacked again) without ever being successful. But I suppose it happens in real life too - look at the clubs Ranieri has had without being hugely successful.

Ranieri has managed a few clubs in Italy, but outside that? An average Valencia and a mid table Chelsea?

There are no examples of managers going round the european elite twice over.

I accept that the odd strange decision does happen in real life - like Leonardo (no experience, arch rival) managing Inter.

The EPL is also inundated with Italian managers. There is a big 7 now: Man City, Derby, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Man Utd and 6 of these clubs have Italian managers.

Archived