I want to tell a player to retire...

Why can't we tell a player that it might just be time to hang up their boots once and for all. I'm sick of seeing great players rotting in reserve leagues so they can extend their careers in this game. Right now, 33 year old Andy Carroll, on an ever more rapid decline has now served pretty much his entire purpose for the club (he just passed Bloomer's goal scoring record) and is most probably going to rot in a reserve league somewhere next season if he doesn't call it quits. Why if we can tell a player to reconsider retirement can't we tell them to consider it? Ochoa is another great example in my team. He's well beyond his prime, declining rapidly and at the end of this season his contract here will expire, no team in the game will sign him for anything more than a squad player and so like so many others will just rot in the reserves for the last few seasons of their career.

Why can't we jsut talk to players 1-on-1? Why does everything have to be done throught he media? The current player interaction screen should be divided up into two sections - Player interaction and media interaction.

Player interaction should be related to personal/private chat with a should include features along the lines of:-

1) "tapping up" a transfer targets. You could do this by telling a player how much you want him to play for you and a a player of his talent should be earning twice his wages etc. I now this isn't strictly legal but it happens and its a big part of the game now at big clubs.

2) Critising/praising form privately

3) Suggestiong players/staff, as is already in the game. Nice feature but has more potential.

4) Discuss personal requests, like squad position (this should be more flexible and based on current form and a player should understand they aren't considered "first team" anymore because their performances have dropped), squad numbering (more requests over traditional club and fan favorite numbers, plus media interaction surrounding this)

5) Player rest explanation as is int he game now

6) Better means of identifying your targets and plans for the club to a player and what role they play in your future plans.

Media interaction need throwing out the window and starting fresh.

I don't think we should be able to tell someone to retire, perhaps if we had the option to offer a player them a coaching contract, so they would technically be retiring, but we wouldn't be forcing them into it.

Box

1. I don't think it could be implemented because it wouldn't look good for SI to have real life pros sometimes accept the tapping up, they would object to this surely.

2. icon14.gif Doing it in a team talk just isn't enough.

3. icon14.gif

4. The only issue I see is it maybe going to pot a bit and ending up with it happening too often e.g. "player returning to club" and could get really irritating.

5. I find the current feature a player is never happy to told he is going to be rested.

6. icon14.gif

it would be a nice addition the tapping up option, for example if you tried tapping up a loyal player like John Terry he may report you to the FA extra. If you tapped up a greedy player like Nicholas Anelka if you were a big club he wud jump to you. give you two diff dimentions to the game

Originally posted by Gerry-Atric:

it would be a nice addition the tapping up option, for example if you tried tapping up a loyal player like John Terry he may report you to the FA extra. If you tapped up a greedy player like Nicholas Anelka if you were a big club he wud jump to you. give you two diff dimentions to the game

This illustrates the problem. Is this comment not illegal? It would lead to people believing that Anelka would be accepting of an illegal approach. As far as i'm aware he never has and for you to say that or the game to portray it would be defamation of character surely!?

PS not actually accusing you just pointing out the pitfalls icon_razz.gif

Of the ideas listed above i really like the idea of being able to outline future plans to a player.

There have been countless times when i have had a player saying he wants to leave to play european football or to win titles. In these situations i really want to be able to say something like i expect this team to be playing champions league football next season, if i pull it off then the player should be more likely to want to stick around, if i don't he may hand in a transfer request. just think we need more options to explain things to the team.

Originally posted by Nomis07:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerry-Atric:

This illustrates the problem. Is this comment not illegal? It would lead to people believing that Anelka would be accepting of an illegal approach. As far as i'm aware he never has and for you to say that or the game to portray it would be defamation of character surely!?

PS not actually accusing you just pointing out the pitfalls icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speaking personally to the player or his agent would be illegal so yea, perhaps it's best leaving this as a media feature, but there should be more options of publically praising a player in order to "leagally" tap him!

Originally posted by Box:

Speaking personally to the player or his agent would be illegal so yea, perhaps it's best leaving this as a media feature, but there should be more options of publically praising a player in order to "leagally" tap him!

Definately I had a midfielder at Bayern who was immense and I praised him every other week when I moved to Barca, he accepted my praise and said it was nice to receive praise from some managers, but he showed no signs of wanting to join me.

yes i agree that the whol talking to playes and staff should be completely overhauled...

also, im pretty sure in earlier versions of the game that it was possible to offer a player a player/coach contract. havent seen it in 08, correct me if im wrong!

Archived