How to increase GK Reflexes?

I have a promising 19 yr. old GK in my squad who's actually getting plenty of playing time, and is also improving his stats consistently. Except, there is one problem. His Reflexes attribute won't increase! At this point, he is over 16 in all the essential physical attributes as well as all tactical ones. Only his technical attributes are between 8-13. While his technical stats are slowly increasing, his Reflexes have stayed at 9 since over 2 years.

I've had his GK-Shot stopping training on intensive all this time, while lowering the intensities for all other categories. Still, all the improvement he's making is in everything other than reflexes. I also can't find anything relevant in the Individual focus training, except for Penalty saving, which, again, is set since 2 years.

Is there something I can do, coz I know it can be increased, I've seen it increase quite a bit for many GKs on my save...

Reflexes is in the Aerobic category. Whenever I have a keeper with room for improvement, I always have them on a very intensive aerobic schedule, usually around 18-20 notches for it. Agility, Reflexes, Jumping are all key attributes for keepers, and pace and acceleration can be great for sweeper keepers too. I also have a suspicion that balance is handy for keepers too, but I'm still unsure to where or how it benefits them, but most top keepers on the game have >14 for balance. So my advice would be train young keepers hard aerobically, but maybe not older keepers, as they won't improve anyway, and it just leads to more injuries for them.

Ibrahimagic, while I appreciate the reply, I think you've made a mistake there. Reflexes are Not included in Aerobic training. They are part of the GK-Shot Stopping category. You can check the attributes in each category by hovering the mouse pointer over a training slider in the Training screen.

Apart from the obvious "Goalkeeping Attributes", other important ones for a GK are:

1. Physical attributes like Acceleration, Agility, Balance, Jumping and, to lesser extent, Pace and Strength

2. Tactical attributes like Anticipation, Composure, Concentration, Decisions, Positioning and, to lesser extent, Bravery

The player I'm talking about is this:

ibrahimbizagwiraprofile.png

As you can see, except for the Goalkeeping attributes, I have nearly "The Perfect Keeper", which is why it is so worrying that his GK attribs, especially Reflexes, are not increasing at all. I have checked in the editor, and he still has about 45 ability points remaining, so shouldn't some of that go towards Reflexes?

Apart from being unable to walk, my disabled mate is "The perfect striker"

Hahaha... :D

Well, without reflexes, it would seem a GK is worthless. But, interestingly, this fellow was named the league's best goalie last season, and has been performing pretty well this time around too. I guess GK attributes can only do so much for a goalie. Maybe 9 in reflexes, combined with 16 and above in jumping, agility, and anticipation are good enough to save most shots...

Sounds like you're doing what you can. Maybe let someone tutor him? If that goes well it can boost development quite a bit.

Already done. Got my senior goalie to tutor him, and his determination went up. He also gained a PPM to avoid using weaker foot, but still waiting for any change in reflexes... :(

I'm not sure you should expect "reflexes" to improve much, if at all. That's a function of your basic physiology, dependant upon how fast your body's nerves work and how fast your brain responds to stimulae with voluntary/involuntary muscle motion.

rubbish, ignore, training improves all things stated above

Ok, after 2 yrs of training, finally got the reflexes to increase by 1. While, it seems realistic, I'm sure I've seen AI goalies improve much faster... Anything else I can do guys?

Get a better GK SS coach? Tell the kid to work harder in training? I dunno?

He's 19 and he has pretty much maxed out on GK Physical and Mental attributes... just playing him regularly should increase his Technicals - don't forget Keepers mature later than outfield players and play at a high level for longer...

Hahaha... :D

Well, without reflexes, it would seem a GK is worthless. But, interestingly, this fellow was named the league's best goalie last season, and has been performing pretty well this time around too. I guess GK attributes can only do so much for a goalie. Maybe 9 in reflexes, combined with 16 and above in jumping, agility, and anticipation are good enough to save most shots...

To be honest, his agility, composure, positioning, jumping and anticipation should pretty much balance it out, if not make him a great shot-stopper anyway. The only problem he could have in terms of that is if the ball is deflected right in front of him or blasted at him when he isn't expecting it. Ochoa is one of the best shot-stoppers I've ever had on any FM, despite the fact his reflexes never managed to go above 14 for me.

Get a better GK SS coach? Tell the kid to work harder in training? I dunno?

He's 19 and he has pretty much maxed out on GK Physical and Mental attributes... just playing him regularly should increase his Technicals - don't forget Keepers mature later than outfield players and play at a high level for longer...

My current GK SS coach is 4.5 stars with a 20 in GK coaching. Also, I have Top Training Facilities. The only explanation seems to be, that he will only max out on his Technical stats once he grows older. But, I find it really frustrating when, despite setting tactical and aerobic training to 'Light', he still gains a point in those attributes taking them from say 17 to 18!!!

To be honest, his agility, composure, positioning, jumping and anticipation should pretty much balance it out, if not make him a great shot-stopper anyway. The only problem he could have in terms of that is if the ball is deflected right in front of him or blasted at him when he isn't expecting it. Ochoa is one of the best shot-stoppers I've ever had on any FM, despite the fact his reflexes never managed to go above 14 for me.

Yes, actually, he's been performaing fantastically, except for situations where only high reflexes can save you, like a deflected shot, or close range shot/header. Hopefully the reflexes at least reach a respectable 12-13 by the time he fulfills his potential.

I'm not sure you should expect "reflexes" to improve much, if at all. That's a function of your basic physiology, dependant upon how fast your body's nerves work and how fast your brain responds to stimulae with voluntary/involuntary muscle motion.

Thats true, but the physiology governs the players "potential"..... You train players to reach their potential. So the players actual reflexes at any given time are a result of his physiology and training.

Archived