Journeyman career starting with a big team

For discussion

1). Do you start with a big team ie Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Ajax, Barcelona etc.

2) If you win the league in your first season do you consider it cheating as generally you havent had to build the club up from scratch and generally have had to work with other managers players as there hasnt been that much to change.

3) How long is it before you move on to another club.

4) Do you go for a similar club in another country or try a smaller one. ie Sven going to Notts County

Unemployed, Sunday League, and work my way up to my home town team !:o

In my recent game i played 5-6 season until i realized that there was a bug and could change clubs. Just a waiste of time ! :(

Ouch, that must have been very annoying.

I usually just start with automatic rep and just take one of the first jobs I'm offered.

Start unemployed automatic experience. Only get job at lowest of the lowest of clubs and lowest of the lowest of leagues and try to get them up. I'm picky in my club choice as I have to like te club colours, crest and kit, as I have to look at them for some time. But the choices arent many so mostly I take the first that offer me a job.

After 2 or 3 seasons I try my luck elsewhere, preferably abroad and not nescessarily at higher rep club. I always hope I get spontaneous offers, but havent had one since FM09.

I also had the "get job bug" ruining my game.

For discussion

1). Do you start with a big team ie Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Ajax, Barcelona etc.

No. Always Sunday League rep and start at the bottom.

2) If you win the league in your first season do you consider it cheating as generally you havent had to build the club up from scratch and generally have had to work with other managers players as there hasnt been that much to change.

No.

3) How long is it before you move on to another club.

It really depends on what I am trying to achieve with the current club and the opportunities that come up, and so on and so forth.

4) Do you go for a similar club in another country or try a smaller one. ie Sven going to Notts County

I try to move upwards where possible, although sometimes you have to go down in order to move up, if that makes any sense (bigger club at the same or lower level).

As I understand it, Sunday League is the lowest.

Automatic seems to be broken as far as I am concerned. It used to give you a reputation to match the lowest division loaded in your game-world (I believe). It now seems to give you some kind of random reputation. I think this has been happening since FM09. I've no idea why they changed it. :confused:

All of the main CSE challenges recommend Sunday League as the lowest starting reputation.

Actually, you can't have a career game in FM11. Not across multiple countries anyway.

For example, if you start Sunday League rep and get a job in South Africa, you're stuck in South Africa as you can't get a job anywhere else.

Cheers, 11.2.1!

I hadn't played FM (or CM) since 2002 before this version, so I found it easier to just go with Barca my first try. Just to kinda have a self-playing piano while I re-learned the game. In my 2nd season now, and I'm deliberately trying to make it harder, offloading Xavi, Iniesta etc just to try to build my own team.

start unemployed, holiday till December, try and get a job at a club in trouble, try and save them... that's the way I start a journeyman career. It's usually the way managers start their careers anyway.

Although, this year I've started at Blackpool, lost that job (thanks to Charlie Adam), now at Osasuna.

If I start in the lower leagues, and I normally do a new journeyman after the Feb patch I join a Blue Square South team. It's normally Eastbourne as they're closest to me irl. I'll stay there until I get into League 2 (or am sacked)

I then normally move to a same country team, someone like Gillingham, Charlton, Brentford etc.

• 2 weeks later...
As I understand it, Sunday League is the lowest.

Automatic seems to be broken as far as I am concerned. It used to give you a reputation to match the lowest division loaded in your game-world (I believe). It now seems to give you some kind of random reputation. I think this has been happening since FM09. I've no idea why they changed it. :confused:

All of the main CSE challenges recommend Sunday League as the lowest starting reputation.

I allways thought automatic was the lowest possible. Made sense as only the lowest clubs of my home country (dutch 4th tier) were willing to take me, after a long wait that was. Obscure rep I had then. Winning some (champions and amateur cup winners) I went to Regional rep, resigned and tried for greener pastures abroad. But then the cantgetjob-bug caught me and I had to settle for the lowest of the low (in my save); english 8th tier. Had a dramatic season (which was excellent as I often find FM way to easy), finished 19th and got the boot for showing interest in a swedish 4th tier job (the first boot I can remember after only one unloyal act). My rep instantly turned back to Obscure. Applied to all jobs again and eventually had to settle for english 8th tier again, but a different league now, and my rep is up to Local after a dissapointing 1st season (14th).

Maybe I got Sunday league as random (automatic) experience, but it is clear that my experience isnt giving me unusually high jobs, thats for sure.

Funny thing is that I am linked to some dutch 2nd and 3rd tier clubs once in a while (they seem to remember my success at dutch 4th tier, isnt that excellent!), no spontaneous job offers until now though.

I like tol stay at a team for as long as possible. I like to put my stamp on the team from top to bottom, the players, youth players, back room staff etc, and unless I have to leave the club for a certain reason, I don't like walking away on something I've built up for it to be potentially decimated. After dominating with Sporting Lisbon for 8 years on FM10 I decided to save the game and take the Sampdoria job, and despite it being a change of scenery and having some very good players I didn't enjoy the game one bit as I felt as though I should still be at Lisbon where I pretty much had freedom of the city, so deleted the Sampdoria save and resumed by Sporting game.

My aim is always to build up a squad of players capable of being the dominant force, whether it takes 12 months or 5 years. I particularly enjoyed bringing Newcastle back into the PL on FM10 and turning them into the most exciting team to watch in the league, with a PL title win and FA Cup double thrown in there, generally being in the top three every year apart from the first year back in the PL. Even when Ashley stood aside, we didn't have a rich oil baron takeover, was a local businessman so felt we did well to be established against much bigger spending clubs.

Going to start a game unemployed though and see what country it leads to. Maybe try it in Spain and try and eventually land one of the top La Liga jobs.

Actually, you can't have a career game in FM11. Not across multiple countries anyway.

For example, if you start Sunday League rep and get a job in South Africa, you're stuck in South Africa as you can't get a job anywhere else.

Cheers, 11.2.1!

And what if you haven't patched yet? Cause I've been playing in 1 country right now, but I'd like to start a journeyman career later on.

Being a Klinsmann fan, I like to start my coaching career as national manager, win a tournament, then take a job at a top division club. I've tried lower division management many times but disliked the lack of youth development and inability to compete against top division clubs for good players. It's like the top clubs stalk my scouts and steal the players whenever I try to sign them.

I do move clubs quite a bit, after every time I win the Champions League.

how the **** is it cheating ? :L as my beloved Manchester City its always an achievment to do it first year because ive done it on every fm first year after many tries i might add since 2007. i consider playing fm like real life if i took over manchester city in real life so i just feel completly offended that youve called it cheating. did carlo anccelotti cheat because apart from 1 year hes always managed big clubs does that make him a cheat of the highest order ? i think not. im sorry mate youve really ****ed me off with that because i know ive done it with manchester city since fm 2007 and im not changing now just because the team is great it makes my fm more enjoyable/boring at the same time.

Cheers, 11.2.1!

Is it an acknowledged bug?

Cheers, 11.2.1!

I'm currently having a career game and started in South Africa in the 2nd tier with F.C.A.K. Then resigned and moved to Carlisle. Now I'm currently managing Trelleborgs FF in Swedish Premier Division. Started with Automatic Reputation.

Archived