It's my tactics...

...I'm sure, but do others also find that too many shots bounce off the woodwork in every game? I'm not talking just MY shots, indeed it's mostly the opposition who seem to be hitting the post and (mostly) the bar. The AI's tactics perhaps?

I make it about 2-3 times per match on average halfway through the seaspn. Yeah, yeah so it's not a proper statistical sample and all that, but it still seems odd. I'm playing in the German 3rd division so players are generally crap, but hitting the post so regularly is actually rather skilful.

I'm not going to do this after each match but as soon as I posted the above: Cup tie at home vs Bundesliga powerhouse. I lost, naturally, after playing actually rather well. No probs with that, of course, despite the boneheaded error that gave up their opener in the 80th minute. What was notable was another FIVE hits on the woodwork. Mine were a bit tangential actually, a well-challenged header from a corner off the bar and a mishit cross hitting the side of the post (both annoyingly at 0-0, just to get me hoping for the miracle), but the superstars of the opposition absolutely pummeled by poor goalframe from excellent positions. The bar is still shaking.

Perhaps the ME thinks this sort of counts on the scoring, something like awarding one-third of a goal for every hit on the post

are you running the new patch? as I think this had been fixed, at least I havnt had that problem

I've got Steam, so it was automatic. It also destroyed my previous save due to the unmentionable thing specific to Germany (wink, wink) which this year is also destroying existing saves which were created with the unmentionable workaround. And then proceeded to re-do it with the hotfix. I'm sure that for many people who play German teams, patches are actually something you DON'T wish to see :-)

But, way-hey! My last game was a ghastly 0-0 at home where the opposition parked the bus, their cars, and their mates' cars in front of their goal. So, I didn't even get to hit the post while they only did so once. And we only got to shoot straight at their keeper on a one-on-one twice, simply because we could not get past the fifteen players they seemed to get behind the ball on every attack of ours. So, things are improving in a way, we're down from the average 3 woodwork strikes and nine 1-on-1 passes to the opposing keeper (I'm not dignifying them with the term "shots"). That includes the opposition, as always.

I don't like to use silly terms like "broken" and "unplayable". For me FM11 is definitely the "least fun" game of the series. In fact, ever since they emphasized the media and personal happiness aspects of the simulation I never got the buzz I used to get with iterations up to FM 06, or perhaps 07. It still says "Football MANAGER" at the box and not "Shrink for imaginary 21-year old big babies". And 3-D if anything has completely destroyed immersion for me, simply because it's so poor and unrealistic, and I can't compensate with my imagination as I used to do with the dots. Before you ask, I immediately switched back to the dots of course, but the magic is still sort of lost. Possibly because after the game one of the dots will get a paranoid episode due the opposition manager declaring that He Must Be Stopped .

OK, I said I wouldn't do it, but I think this is kind of exceptional. Next game away vs the rather useless "B" team of a Bundesliga major. I easily win 3-0, mind you, so this is not a frustration rant. SEVEN hits on the woodwork, three for me, four for the opposition (I was playing very open football since these guys were useless).

It's definitely my tactics.

It's also led me to uninstall the game from my HD. Back to FM 06, I think. I play LLM anyway.

Archived