Running multiple leagues

So after mulling over the purchase of FM2011 for the iPhone, I went ahead and bought it with the prospect of being able to playing in multiple leagues. It's something I used to do in the desktop version of FM, to move from one continent to another and all.

I decided to start off with Australia and wanted to add the other continents, pretty much Brazil for South America and Spain for Europe, but all I could see were the European nations (and not all of them too) and when I tried to start it off with Brazil, Australia wasn't in the list. When trying to start off with Spain or England, neither Australia or Brazil were available.

Basically, any league you select, you can only add the European leagues to add in the next screen. Why is this? Is having 3 continental setup too much for the iPhone to handle? I just want to be able to play Australia, Brazil, England and/or Spain.

I voiced my hesitancy to buy this considering I recently bought the 2010 version, but trusted SI to deliver a worthwhile game. I really hope there is a fix for this especially since this is the main reason I bought the game.

• SI Staff

I'm afraid that this is something which is done to reduce the memory overhead in the game - the Brazillian and Australian leagues are in continents which are removed from the other leagues modelled in the game, because of this (and their tertiary continental competitions) they pull in a LOT of players to the game which aren't loaded in other leagues.

Its for this reason that they aren't available as secondary leagues in this version - unfortunately allowing this would overload the database size and potentially make the game unstable on older devices.

Apologies if this wasn't clear in the advertising of the game (its the same on the PSP version of the game incidentally - however obviously thats no excuse) - I'll see if there is anything I can do to improve this via. the updates, but obviously I don't want to risk preventing anyone from playing the game on their device either so its a balancing act.

Erm... Also, another thing I noticed in the Brazilian league... Is there only one state championship league you can play in? What about the others? If I were to manage Fluminense or Internacional who do not play in Sao Paulo State Championship, does that mean they're pretty much on break domestically for half the year while they try to play in Copa Libertadores or Sudamericana?

• SI Staff
Erm... Also, another thing I noticed in the Brazilian league... Is there only one state championship league you can play in? What about the others? If I were to manage Fluminense or Internacional who do not play in Sao Paulo State Championship, does that mean they're pretty much on break domestically for half the year while they try to play in Copa Libertadores or Sudamericana?

Right first off - Rich does all the competitions updates in the handheld games (updates the rulegroups which is the competition rules etc.) and I'm lucky enough to 'steal' these for the iPhone game from the PSP game.

I don't know the full structure of the Brazilian leagues or how they operate (end confession ;) ).

I have however checked and both teams you mentioned are correct and present and manageable (with fully active fixture lists) ... if that helps (but according to Rich yes there is only the largest state Championship active - not certain how this all hangs together, hopefully we can entice him to explain).

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately we were unable to include all the State Championsips in the game as it would vastly increase the number of teams and players in the database, which wasn't an option due to memory and speed contraints like Marc suggested.

However, we didn't want to completely ignore the State Championships altogether and therefore decided to include one so it was possible to exprerince playing in it at some level.

We do spend a lot of time investigating the combinations of leagues that the handheld devices can process as well as the number of players that we can have in the database, so rest assured that we dont put these constraints in unless it's absolutely necessary.

The latest iPhone game is the first to have the option of managing in more than one nation during a single career so we think it's a big improvment compared to the previous version, but we are always looking to improve the game and push the hardware to it's limits and this area of the game is no exception.

Archived