Poor youth players promoted.

Hi, I really like the idea of regens coming through your ranks every year although they all seem to be very bad.

I completed a brilliant season with Arsenal, causing the board to like me. Then I told them they should improve the youth facilities, which they did, giving me 'Superb' youth facilities.

I just don't think it makes sense that despite having superb youth facilities, the only players that get promoted have CA/PAs of 1-2 stars. :confused:

• SI Staff

The way it works sometimes players will be better than others - also sometimes someone who looks bad initially might 'come good' over time, don't just discard someone straight away unless you want to risk him returning to score against you in a later season ....

Perhaps demote them to the reserves and loan them out for a season, see if any of them start to improve and make the grade? - remember that quite a few big players irl were released as youngsters by one club or another and a coaches opinion on a player can evolve and change in the game; the view you see initially is their 'gut instinct' ... it might alter for good or ill over time (normally +/- 2* as the player matures or doesn't).

Finally remember you're at Arsenal they're a BIG club ... its hard to make the grade fully there, the ones that do will be worth 10-15m - even those who become 'squad' players are a 5-8m bonus that you've saved on your transfer budget.

(you seriously can't expect to pick 2-3 of those up each season, not even with Arsenal (there's a reason why Mr. Wenger has to buy some of the kids who make it at Arsenal from other clubs).

Thanks for the reply Marc.

I have noticed that CA/PAs can vary more frequently now, especially with Diego Lugano, who had 4* CA/PA and went up to 5*.

I'll trust you on this one Marc :D

Thanks

I was going to say...the scouting this year is odd. It seems like the star ratings for each player really doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is attributes. It seems like the star ratings just tell you their form.

I was going to say...the scouting this year is odd. It seems like the star ratings for each player really doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is attributes. It seems like the star ratings just tell you their form.

Exactly. Believe it or not, Nicklas Bendtner, Marouane Chamakh, Carlos Vela and Theo Walcott are all currently 6 to 7 stars for CA/PA. That's because they have all been on fire, especially Bendtner, who scored 52 goals in 48 appearances, with an average rating of 8.62.

Exactly. Believe it or not, Nicklas Bendtner, Marouane Chamakh, Carlos Vela and Theo Walcott are all currently 6 to 7 stars for CA/PA. That's because they have all been on fire, especially Bendtner, who scored 52 goals in 48 appearances, with an average rating of 8.62.

Yup, that's their form. I was more refering to all young players seem to have 1-3 stars for PA. And 9/10 their CA equals their PA. I'm just confused at this point on how to actually find players that have potential. The only way I've been able to distinguish is to look at their attributes.

• SI Staff
Yup, that's their form. I was more refering to all young players seem to have 1-3 stars for PA. And 9/10 their CA equals their PA. I'm just confused at this point on how to actually find players that have potential. The only way I've been able to distinguish is to look at their attributes.

I'll look into this - shouldn't always be the case at all.

I'll look into this - shouldn't always be the case at all.

While you're looking into it, you might want to notice that when you sort players by their PA, it will include all players who haven't been scouted in their proper order. So basically, if you sort the list of players by PA and then scout the top 20 or whatever, you will have already scouted the top 20 prospects. Basically, you can tell who has the highest potential without even scouting...and the only thing that scouting would be used for is to find where the drop off is. Does that make sense?

• SI Staff
While you're looking into it, you might want to notice that when you sort players by their PA, it will include all players who haven't been scouted in their proper order. So basically, if you sort the list of players by PA and then scout the top 20 or whatever, you will have already scouted the top 20 prospects. Basically, you can tell who has the highest potential without even scouting...and the only thing that scouting would be used for is to find where the drop off is. Does that make sense?

I don't think this was 100% accurate (it was down to a sorted list then being used later on in code and inadvertantly still retaining some of its later sorted ordering when used for displaying potentials in this manner) - but it definitely does give you an advantage ... and will be removed in the first update (will now sort by player name if unscouted).

The update will be available during January - as the iTunes store isn't taking submissions over the xmas period (just in case people aren't aware).

Archived