Going in hard on an opposition Centre Back

Sammy Lee's hidden stats indicates he has a preference for hard tackling - the advice you get from assistants are just that; their preferred way of approaching the game.

It can be useful to put hard tackling on central defenders who are "short tempered" or "volatile" in hope that they'll lose their discipline in the heat of the battle. Uruguay's Lugano springs to mind. You can check the player's motivation during match to see if he's getting wound up.

If a player is lacking bravery, going in hard can make them hesitate to challenge for the ball subsequently.

In-game if a DC gets 'nervous', I go in hard and have a very good chance of winning the ball and having a goal scoring opportunity.

I have an excellent assman and do follow his advice re. marking, closing down and weaker foot, but with hard tackling I ignore his advice and consider the oppo player and the referee.

Is there any point in going in hard on someone like John Terry or Essien though?

My assistant seems to think it is a great idea, but I'm just imagining my young lads getting absolutely crunched. I only go in hard on people like Arteta. Technical players that are a bit slow or not too good at dribbling. I'm not going hard on a nutcase like Walter Samuel and I'm not going hard on tricky winger cos they'll just skip over the challenge (unless they are VERY low on bravey).

I also go hard on people like Torres who have a 99% chance of picking up a knock.

I'm very liberal with going in hard. In terms of having my own players going in hard, and targetting specific opposition players. But I do find it baffling how many assistants recommend going in hard on just about everyone and their grandmas. I think having it set to go in hard on a central defender can be very silly too if your forwards are poor tacklers, as I imagine that could lead to some needless bookings. I also think it's silly to go in hard on a centre back, as almost never dwell on the ball, as being in the centre they'll always have plenty of passing options, and also their instructions would usually be to punt it long if under pressure. I'd recommend the opposition instruction of always closing centre backs down, particularly if they have a poor touch, as I find that's the most effective way to regain possession high up the field as opposed to going in hard on them.

Archived