An idea for FM 9 - International Attributes

I was sat last night watching the Germany V Poland game, and noticing the huge difference between international and league matches. So that got me thinking, if each player had "international attributes" that only applied when he played for his country, it may solve some arguments. Teams like Scotland who may be lacking quality on paper but still perform very well, could have players who have higher international attributes, whereas teams like England, who have the quality on paper but are just rubbish in competitive matches, their international attributes could be lower.

Anyway, just an idea, i'm keen to hear your thoughts icon_smile.gif

Surely stats like Important matches, work-rate, teamwork, determination would contribute to this? So that players who may not have the best natural ability can still turn it on in big games.

The players are no different playing for club or country, it's all tactics and ability to play in a team. I don't think assigning them attributes for this is a good idea, it should remain tactics based and the fact remains that had England been more tactically sound then they would have qualified regardless of player international attributes.

It's not a case of players losing/gaining ability when they play for their country, they are still the same person with the same skill level. As has been said it's the mental attributes and some of the hidden ones (Important matches etc.) that influence international performances

actually the op might not be totally wrong. Since there is a Important matches attributes (as stinger pointed out), maybe there should be an hidden attribute about "Intenational match confidence" or something which affect player's performance in international games.

David Healy for example will be very high since he performed a lot better in international games than clubs games.

Also it would be an attribute which goes up and down quite a bit. we've seen a few england players like scholes and lampard who started off their england career with a bang and then slowly drifting out.

Originally posted by andyinuk:

David Healy for example will be very high since he performed a lot better in international games than clubs games.

Also it would be an attribute which goes up and down quite a bit. we've seen a few england players like scholes and lampard who started off their england career with a bang and then slowly drifting out.

I don't think that's necessarily anything to do with attributes though.

I'm Northern Irish and David Healy is god to me, but the basis of his success is that the team plays to his abilities and it's often a long ball game, this seems to suit him. This style of football isn't played at Fulham, IMO rather than it being Healy is better at international level it's actually that the tactics played by Northern Ireland suit him better than Fulham.

Similarly, Scholes was played on the elft wing for nearly 4 years by England, it's not that he performs better for Manchester United it's that their tactics suit him and he is played properly.

Essentially these players are exactly the same when they play for their club and their nationalteam, but the differences are going to be obvious because of the differing tactics and instructions.

Originally posted by andyinuk:

we've seen a few england players like scholes and lampard who started off their england career with a bang and then slowly drifting out.

Those are ironically classic examples of why there should NOT be seperate attributes. Scholes retired when Sven resorted to the appalling tactic of hoofing aimless balls from defence to attack, thus making the role of the intelligent passing midfield maestro redundant.

Lampard and Gerrard get in each other's way. In both cases therefore it is poor management/tactics that affect the players, not the players' ability.

What SI COULD do is have international managers have a far greater effect on their teams' performances than is currently the case.

Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andyinuk:

we've seen a few england players like scholes and lampard who started off their england career with a bang and then slowly drifting out.

Those are ironically classic examples of why there should NOT be seperate attributes. Scholes retired when Sven resorted to the appalling tactic of hoofing aimless balls from defence to attack, thus making the role of the intelligent passing midfield maestro redundant.

Lampard and Gerrard get in each other's way. In both cases therefore it is poor management/tactics that affect the players, not the players' ability.

What SI COULD do is have international managers have a far greater effect on their teams' performances than is currently the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem with this is that the manager AI is not as intelligent as we would like them to be.

I've also suggested a pressure stat for national team jobs before, measuring press and supporter pressure and the ability of the manager to resist pressure being important for them to do a good job.

Archived