If an alien civilization bought a PC and want to learn football....

CM 01/02 - Pure simplicity at its best :) I managed to win back to back promotions as a 7 year old with Luton!

That wouldn't teach them about football though, would it? They wouldn't be able to see the matches, and wouldn't have the benefit of imagination.

Definitely FM11 for me. 3D ME representation, most realistic underlying match engine for half a decade and more information about the game than ever before.

Depending on the physics on the planet this alien civilization comes from they might need to adjust the shape of football rules etc to their circumstances, thus they might as well learn as much about it before actually acquiring a football.

For example, imagine that friction is not as strong as it is on this planet and a round football bounces off/slides much faster on their pitch, then maybe a square football (which has more of its surface touching the ground) could be the solution to that problem.

So, if you just gave them the football, without the rulebook or a glimpse of football action, they might not appreciate the sport and get bored watching a football shoot past them so fast that they can't control it, but if they came to appreciate the sport for what they have understood it to be then they will certainly go to any extremes to try to recreate it. Even square footballs!

That wouldn't teach them about football though, would it? They wouldn't be able to see the matches, and wouldn't have the benefit of imagination.

Definitely FM11 for me. 3D ME representation, most realistic underlying match engine for half a decade and more information about the game than ever before.

Can see the headlines now...

"SI MOD IN FM11 ENDORSEMENT SHOCKER"

xD

For me, FM10 10.3 by a long way. Streets ahead of the current incarnation of FM11, and FM09 was simply dreadful.

Depending on the physics on the planet this alien civilization comes from they might need to adjust the shape of football rules etc to their circumstances, thus they might as well learn as much about it before actually acquiring a football.

For example, imagine that friction is not as strong as it is on this planet and a round football bounces off/slides much faster on their pitch, then maybe a square football (which has more of its surface touching the ground) could be the solution to that problem.

So, if you just gave them the football, without the rulebook or a glimpse of football action, they might not appreciate the sport and get bored watching a football shoot past them so fast that they can't control it, but if they came to appreciate the sport for what they have understood it to be then they will certainly go to any extremes to try to recreate it. Even square footballs!

<caveat> Ancient Civilization resides now on earth a.k.a District 9 :p </caveat>

Archived