Manager Background/History

Does anyone else sort of give themselves an imaginary manager history/background when they start a save on Football Manager?

I tend to imagine myself as a former Non-League player; a full-back or defensive-minded central midfield player. I imagine myself as not having had a particularly illustrious career, having remained loyal to one or maybe two clubs during my playing career, and having won very little. I begin my managerial career as a relatively young manager set on making up for his rather ordinary playing career, much like Mourinho, Benitez & Hodgson, for instance.

As a result of this, I nearly always start with the lowest reputation at the bottom of the league structure. On the very rare occasions that I start any higher, I imagine that I was actually a Football League player, but the same principles apply. I never excelled as a player and I am out to prove to the world that I can be a World Class manager.

Due to the fact that I was basically a defensive-minded player, I tend towards a more rigid and more controlling tactical philosophy. This is reflected in my use of a slightly more rigid mentality structure and the fact that I use creative freedom quite sparingly. My manager does believe in the power of individual brilliance though and tends to employ a playmaker and to build his teams around one outstanding talent where possible. In general, as a result of his playing days, he likes to play precise and controlled football, and although his sides can play in quite an attacking way, he is generally quite cautious in his approach to the game. He does also play the game in the right kind of way, looking for his players to get the ball down and to play good passing football, but he isn't afraid to 'mix it up' when needed. I like to think of my manager as being English but very much influenced by European, and particularly, Italian football.

In terms of formations, my manager likes to generally play with two strikers (at the very least, he prefers to have a striker supported by a central attacking midfielder behind him) so 4-4-2 variations are generally preferred.

So that's my manager. How about yours?

And there is also a point to this thread (well, sort of) because I would really love to have the ability to specify some aspects of my managerial background when adding a manager to FM. It would be great to be able to give a flavour of my background and my starting personality to be reflected in the game.

Let me know what you think and also post up how you imagine your manager background to be when starting a new FM save!

Nah you're not the only one mate, I've done this sorta thing before in me own head.

I've also done one where I put me as a player into the game (with a few mates actually) and then holidayed through my entire career (checking up on how I'm doing along the way ofcourse). Then, when the player retires, I add a manager, same name, DOB etc. and pretend I'm carrying on the same career. It's quite enjoyable, trying to get jobs at clubs that my player played for and hiring former team mates as coaches etc. Give it a go, it's a good laugh.

No mate your not alone....

I have asked on here for abt 3 years, if FM would allow us to add a playing career into the game.. If they done this it could maybe help you get certain jobs, or stay clear of some..

Like if you played for Man Utd in your playing career then the chance of getting the Liverpool job would be slim etc..

Im 27, so i always add on 10years to my real age, as its un realistic that a 27yr old would run a proper team (althou i run my sunday league team lol)

I always pick former international as my history, but tend to go for lower jobs at the start as i like the idea of developing and earning a bigger job

Nah you're not the only one mate, I've done this sorta thing before in me own head.

I've also done one where I put me as a player into the game (with a few mates actually) and then holidayed through my entire career (checking up on how I'm doing along the way ofcourse). Then, when the player retires, I add a manager, same name, DOB etc. and pretend I'm carrying on the same career. It's quite enjoyable, trying to get jobs at clubs that my player played for and hiring former team mates as coaches etc. Give it a go, it's a good laugh.

Thats quite cool mate, do your mates always stay in football after they retire thou?

Don't seriously tell me that I'm the only one who does this! :o

Well you have given me food for thought. I have a deep down desire to manage Newcastle in rl and see myself as the guy who finally comes in and gives the club stability.

I pick as my experience a fairly low reputational one as I think it adds a bit more spice in winning over fans and players.

Always pick nufc as my team and my mentality is one of an attacking style of management but able to adapt to circumstance. So my philosophy centres on fluid and controlled play. I encourage the short pass but not averse to switching to direct depending on the opposition. I like my team to press and be a hard "northern" outfit.

My formation is always 442 as I have a need for 2 strikers and it fits in with the history of nufc and the style of play the fans expect, which dovetails into the overall type of football that I like to see.

Will need to think a bit more about my overall style and approach but do like the idea of adding your unique flavour into the game

Thats quite cool mate, do your mates always stay in football after they retire thou?

Yeah usually, I set their preferences in the editor to become coaches. The only problem with it is when they're 18-19 at the start, it'll say "Is seriously considering becoming a coach when he retires", even though they're young lol. That was FM10 though, haven't tried this on FM11 yet.

I always think of myself as a fan, but not anyone who is directly connected with the club. Usually I take over clubs close to where I am from so I can play the "local boy come good" card or I'll pick a team from near my Uni towns to play the "adopted son" card.

As far as my manager profile is concerned during my very amatuer (as in played at school under duress never else) career I was a defender so I always look to defend well. It definitely comes more from my cricket personality where I am a bowler who absolutely hates going for runs. I am always about stopping the run scoring then taking the wicket (or stopping the scoring and scoring a goal).

Archived