Lower League Teams - Share your cup competition stories

I started a save with Alfreton Town in the Conference North (England) with the new patch and I had a great cup run in my first season. I got very lucky with the draws in the FA Cup not playing a league team until the 2nd round which was an underachieveing Accrington Stanley from League 2, I managed to beat them failry comfortably by a 3-2 scoreline.

Then I had the pinnacle of LLM in England to look forward to, the FA Cup 3rd Round draw. Obviously wanting a Premiership team away, I was ecstatic when I got Chelsea away! I only lost a very respectalbe 2-0 (could have been 6 or 7 on another day) in front of just under 35,000 people (compared to the 300-400 I normally get), it was great and one of my favourite moments in 12 years of playing CM/FM. My bank balance shot up from (£7,000) to an incredable £780,000 which will obviously see me through a few seasons.

I often do LLM games and I've only ever reached the 3rd round twice while a non league team but got compartively poor ties against lower league teams and lost. The best I did was in about 2005 when I got a non league Dag & Red to the 4th round but again didn't play a big boy and got knocked out.

This has put a whole new dimension on my save that I have never experienced before (it will probably make it a lot easier but sod it, I've never had this before, I'm going to enjoy it!). I thought I would share it and see if anybody else had any great cup stories with lower league teams, it doesn't have to be as low as the mightly Alf but from this version and from any nation but it would be great to hear any cup stories you may have?

I've just finished my first season with level 9 Bedlington Terriers. We had some fairly easy draws in the 6 qualifying rounds of the FA Cup. Then we hit league opposition.

In the First Round proper it was Barnet, five levels above us. I went for a ruthless 'park the bus' tactic, grinding out a 0-0 draw. We repeated the same in the replay until I lured a defender into getting a red card late on. Then I hit them on the counter: 1-0.

Second round it was Shrewsbury. Same story in the first game: backs to the wall, 0-0. Replay - 20 mins in they also got a player red carded. I played more boldly but we finished 0-0. With extra time finished I feared my lads would have nothing in the locker for the penalty shoot-out, and that was besides the fact that of the players on the pitch, the best penalty attribute was 5. And we won it!

My heart was thumping as the automated draw for the third round commenced. And it happened. We got Manchester United, away!!!

I was all set up for 0-20 or something, but was already counting the cash. As it happened, Fergie sent out his kids (Park and Fletcher being the only senior players). Joshua King scored early doors and I was awaiting the avalanche. But my boys dug in deep and kept the score down to just that one goal. Manchester United 1 Bedlington Terriers 0 must go down as the greatest victory in my 12 year CM/FM career!

We banked 1.8 million, of which the tax man took half a million. I was a bit crestfallen a few days later when Fergie called to poach my star 14 year old fullback, leaving a paltry 5 thousand. However, at the end of the season my chairman pointed out a couple of clauses I could cash in, which I did to the tune of just shy of half a million.

So thanks to the luck of the draw, I ended the season 1.5 million in profit, which I am confident will fund me a drive right up into the Football League.

Thank you for asking!

I'm chuffed to bits that thanks to Uncle Ron's sterling work I can now play in a full FA Cup. I lost at Ossett Town in the Preliminary Round in my current season, but even that is better than not playing in it at all when it started in the Second Qualifying Round.

Managing Woodford United in the Zamaretto League Division One Central (thanks to uncle ron), I won the prelim round against Leighton 3:0 at home, the 1st Qualifing round 3:0 at home against Harrow and expect to lose away against Solihull Moors in the next round.

Archived