Football Manager 2011 is running dangerously low on memory

Hi all,

I installed FM2011 a while ago and have been playing fine. Today, I wanted to start playing again and I got the error:

"Football Manager 2011 is running dangerously low on memory" at the startup.

To avoid wasting time:

* The game was running fine until today

* I regularly install the patches

* I have 4GB of RAM on a Windows XP box

* The system shows to have more than 2GB free memory when I start the game

Any ideas? Thanks.

Windows XP running on a dual core Intel laptop with 4GB RAM and 4GB Virtual Memory. Increasing virtual memory doesn't help. On task manager I can see that fm.exe memory usage increases upto 266MB and the error message pops up and the game crashes.

I'm guessing that is the 1st thing he tried, I would do a reinstall and run some scans. If your still having problems it rules out other things. Has you lappy had any updates for drivers and things...you could try them as well.

Was it working before the patch?

Have you installed anything new?

Are you having problems with other games/programs?

I uninstalled and reinstalled and nothing changed. I installed the latest 11.2.1 patch and it didn't help either but as I said, it used to work fine before. My Windows XP did a regular update when I was shutting down and the next day FM started giving that error. I am not able to play the game anymore.

I'm suffering from the same problem, my game also refuses to load my saved game due to "dangerously low memory".

The specs of my computer are:

Processor Speed: 2.8Ghz

RAM: 4GB, 3GB useable

System Type: 32-bit

S3 Chrome Graphics Card

I've got a large database on with quite a number of leagues open (can't remember exactly)

The game had no previous problems and I could run it with (several) other programs at the same time with no trouble at all. I believe this only occured after patching the game 2 days ago. May I ask if there is anything I could do?

Best regards,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I've the same problem. I've a laptop with 4gb ram, 2ghz (4threaded) processor, and the game usually uses 1,5GB RAM. So I think, I've enough ram, but it crashes, with the messages:

"football manager 2011 is running dangerously low on memory. Please quit and free up some memory." after playing a while.

• 4 months later...

there are 2 other threads with the exact same topic on the 1st page of this section

the computer had automatically only allocated 2.8gb for virtual memory so I increased it to the maximum available which is 4.219gb so by doing that, I certainly hope I wont be getting this error anytime soon. It was the 1st time it ever happened to me in CM/FM history and I started playing it when cm01/02 was out

I would advise you all that are having this problem to adjust the virtual memory settings as explained above and type in the maximum recommended which is usually a tiny bit OVER the amount of RAM you have. Use the same number in the minimum and maximum box. You may need to restart your computer for those new setting to take effect.

Also if you have a ram/memory hogging anti-virus program like AVG then uninstall it, totally remove it from your computer and install a low memory using anti-virus program like Avast!.

That should make enough difference for you not to worry about FM running dangerously low on memory ever again.

That is all I have done to fix my computer since last night. I have also edited a couple of numerical values in my registry editor to allow my computer/laptop to startup & shutdown quicker. Have also uninstalled programmes I do not use nor need anymore.

Hopefully by spending half a day doing all this, it will mean I wont have anymore LOW MEMORY issues. And most certainly little to no more of the dreaded (Not Responding) browser issues I seem to be getting dozens of times daily before today.

• 3 months later...

Archived