How many processors can FM utilise?

I'm going to build a new computer in the new year and am currently researching processors. At the minute there are 6 core processors on the market but are quite expensive.

I am happy to pay, but was wondering if there is any point going for 6 core rather than quad.

Can anyone confirm if FM will utilize 6 processors currently, and if not whether future versions will? I'm hoping when built the computer will last a few years.

To note before anyone starts I did a search first and did find out that FM utilizes quad core processors, but could find no threads discussing 6 cores.

There is no reason why the game wouldn't utilise 6 or more cores so long as threading is enabled.

As far as I recall the game only really utilises threading to its full potential when processing matches, particularly in full detail.

So unless you are planning to run an awful lot of leagues in full detail then I don't see the point in paying over the odds for 6 core processors at this point.

FM does not utilize more than 1 core even with threading enabled, it never has done. It will "use" the other cores, but it will not distribute different work between them, so in other words the game runs at the same speed if you have a quad core than if you have a 1 core.

:)

Download a cpu monitoring tool and you will see that the cpu usage never goes above "25-30%" on a quad core, or 20% on a 6xore cpu.

This has never changed. SI need to impliment proper support for multicore CPUs and divide processing dutys equaly between cores to be processed individualy.

Fo instance give core 1 100 fixtures to proc and core 2 a different 100 to proc etc etc ..............

Another misconception id that this game acctually uses more than 1200-1300mb of ram. It does not, its a 32bit game.. and is coded not to use more. so you will see no difference from using 3gb to using 12gb on a windows 7 machine for instance.

FM does not utilize more than 1 core even with threading enabled, it never has done. It will "use" the other cores, but it will not distribute different work between them, so in other words the game runs at the same speed if you have a quad core than if you have a 1 core.

Download a cpu monitoring tool and you will see that the cpu usage never goes above "25-30%" on a quad core, or 20% on a 6xore cpu.

This has never changed. SI need to impliment proper support for multicore CPUs and divide processing dutys equaly between cores to be processed individualy.

Fo instance give core 1 100 fixtures to proc and core 2 a different 100 to proc etc etc ..............

Another misconception id that this game acctually uses more than 1200-1300mb of ram. It does not, its a 32bit game.. and is coded not to use more. so you will see no difference from using 3gb to using 12gb on a windows 7 machine for instance.

Is SI reading this? A couple of weeks ago, I asked SI when Football Manager would be a 64 bit game and their response was that "we shall wait and see".

• SI Staff

That isn't true, the game can use as many cores as you have to play matches on.

The game can use 2GB of memory on a 32bit OS and 4GB on a 64bit OS

I can see all 4 cores here running at 90-100% when processing matches....

wow how can i fix mine then ? when procesing results from other matches.fixturres it runs at 30%

I run q6600 @ 3.75ghz and win7 64bit. Please help.

The only time it uses 100% is when heading into a match, and it calculates it. But that is only for like 2 seconds. When procesing fixtures is never goes above 30%

That isn't true, the game can use as many cores as you have to play matches on.

The game can use 2GB of memory on a 32bit OS and 4GB on a 64bit OS

?Yeah im not talkign about playing matches, im talking about processing fixures, you know when you hit continue..... it does not use 100% of all cpu cores. The game would be so much fater if it did

• SI Staff
?Yeah im not talkign about playing matches, im talking about processing fixures, you know when you hit continue..... it does not use 100% of all cpu cores. The game would be so much fater if it did

When I say playing matches, I mean processing all the results as the game continues.

wow how can i fix mine then ? when procesing results from other matches.fixturres it runs at 30%

I run q6600 @ 3.75ghz and win7 64bit. Please help.

The only time it uses 100% is when heading into a match, and it calculates it. But that is only for like 2 seconds. When procesing fixtures is never goes above 30%

You're thinking about it in the wrong way my man :) There is nothing wrong with your machine.

It's not using 100% of ALL your cores... because it doesn't NEED to! That's the beauty of having a quad core processor. Let's say for example, you only had a dual core processor (everything else equal, so let's say we're splitting your quad in half). Your dual would then be running at maybe 60% each core. But since you have a quad, the game is able to run tasks more efficiently running them on 30% each over the 4. It doesn't run at 100% because it simply doesn't have enough tasks to make the cores run that hard all the time.

You seeing 30% over all the cores is actually a sign of the game running efficiently over your cores. And you should be thankful for that! It's going to be a long time before game code runs enough tasks to actually max out a quad core processor, trust me on that :)

Another thing that proves the point: I have a newer generation quad with a similar OC going. I have a i5 750 OC'd to about 3.8. I see my machine never going over 25% per core. Against, that's a sign of efficiency on the part of the the processor, and the game code.

The game is running as intended on your CPU, and you should be happy! Not all games are designed to run as good on quads as this game :)

Xenon Processor, Luckz?

Regular old i7 (920), just OC'd to 3.2ghz.

After the by comparison quite slow game startup with the 'annoying intro', it also only takes about four seconds to load my savegame from the main menu and between one and three seconds to save with ctrl-s. Can't say that the 5.5gb of faces & club logos affected performance much, either.

Multiplayer over the internet really hurts performance & fluidity though. :p

Archived