When can substitutions be made?

I have been trying to figure out when substitutions can be made in the game. But I haven't been able to figure it out just by watching the games. Can someone please explain the rules to me? And if they work differently in the game from real life, please let me know also.

Sometimes there's a goal kick, but my players don't get subbed. Sometimes it seems they get subbed on a thrown in, but other times not. I really can't figure it out.

from what i've been able to tell watching matches, first you make your changes (tactics/subs, whatever)

then the game runs on for a bit, and at some point the match pauses for a second or two and you see the message that tactics are being changed, and then at the next stoppage in the match after that pause happens is typically when i see the substitution actually take effect

at some point the match pauses for a second or two and you see the message that tactics are being changed, and then at the next stoppage in the match after that pause happens is typically when i see the substitution actually take effect

That is what I observe also, but I don't believe it just happens at random times. I see in real life that the player to sub in goes up and must announce himself to the 4th official. Then he stands next to the 4th official who is waiting for the appropriate time. I'm under the belief that there are certain stoppages in play where a substitution is allowed and others where substitutions are not.

i think if you viewed a 90 minute game on normal speed the player would be brought on at the next stop of play but i have never actually checked

It's not that simple. I watch all of my games play out. Sometimes I'm eager to get the sub into the game and there will be several play stoppages without the substitution being made.

Archived