Board Confidence

I'm thoroughly enjoying my game as Leyton Orient, but I'm puzzled by one thing: board confidence.

I don't know iof this is relevant, but I should admit that I gave Leyton Orient a million pound extra before starting the game. Besides that, no cheating.

In my second season I managed to reach the play-offs and subsequent promotion to the Championship. Now, in my third season, I'm supposed to be fighting relegation, but am actually nearer to the middle of the table. Pretty good, right? Any board should be delighted with such a manager, but not my chairman! No sir!

He is merely "satisfied", and complaining that I sold a player that the fans liked (the player handed in a transfer request himself, by the way).

Isn't this a bit harsh? It seems as if the board has completely forgotten I just managed to get the club to the Championship for the first time in its long, but uneventful, history!

So, my question: do boards reset their confidence at the end of each season? Without any brownie points gained because of your past accomplishments?

do boards reset their confidence at the end of each season?

Yes and no. That should clear it up.

The board has both short- and long-term goals. If you watch the board confidence sliders carefully, you'll notice that many of them are reset to zero (that is, the middle) during the offseason. These are the short-term goals (for season-long competitions). The reset occurs about the time that the financial report slides over to the next year. However, the long-term goals will change rather slowly over time. Rest assured that your accomplishments do get factored in. For example, if the board was not expecting much and you produced a very successful season, you should notice at least a slight improvement in the long-term indicators over time. The best time to check is during the offseason immediately after the short-term indicators have been reset. When you know those indicators are at zero, it's relatively easy to pick out the slight offsets in the long-term sliders.

OK, thanks, that makes sense.

Does this mean then that if you do well over many seasons (and your long-term standing has increased significantly), you become immune to short-term failures? i.e. can you have a dreadful season without getting fired because of your succesful past?

Thanks for the help!

can you have a dreadful season without getting fired because of your succesful past?

Yes, although there ain't no guarantees. A lot depends on the temperament of the board. Some may not accept any failure at all even after a long string of successes and some may allow quite a bit before sending you on your way. Kinda like the real world.

Archived