Cardiff not eligible for Europe?

As part of the club and country challenge, I was looking at taking a small nation to the top of the world and their domestic competitions by building up players in a youth system. Been trying it with the Canadian team Toronto FC, but they lack regens that are linked to your own facilities so it seems a bad choice. Was going to start a game as Cardiff, instead, and use them to build Wales up to World standard but I read somewhere that in reality Welsh clubs playing in the English leagues are banned from European competitions. Is this carried over into FM2011?

welsh clubs were banned as they are still under the control of the welsh fa even though they play in the english league. so they could only be in europe if the welsh fa entered them. but the rule got altered after cardiff reached the fa cup final

I'm fairly sure this was never a rule, just a misunderstanding on the part of the FA. The FA believed that they would not be allowed to enter Cardiff due to them being a "Welsh" team. But it must have been UEFA I guess that clarified it, stating that National Federations are allowed to select any teams they want. So in theory, the FA does not even have to select the top 4 placed teams to enter in the Champions League. They could easily select the top 4 from League 2. At least as far as I understand it.

I could be totally and utterly wrong, but I seem to recall reading this...

I'm fairly sure this was never a rule, just a misunderstanding on the part of the FA. The FA believed that they would not be allowed to enter Cardiff due to them being a "Welsh" team. But it must have been UEFA I guess that clarified it, stating that National Federations are allowed to select any teams they want. So in theory, the FA does not even have to select the top 4 placed teams to enter in the Champions League. They could easily select the top 4 from League 2. At least as far as I understand it.

I could be totally and utterly wrong, but I seem to recall reading this...

They're allowed to set their own criteria for how they assign European slots.

Like how in some countries, the League Cup winners doesn't have a Europa League spot (Scotland), and some leagues have playoffs to determine European places (Holland/Belgium).

Archived