"I expect you to pick up where you left off last time!" team talk

I'm having trouble with this team talk as whenever I use it I get no response from my players and I've been trying to work out what scenario it actually works in for a few seasons now. Does anyone know what the prerequisites are to get a positive response from players when using this team talk?

Cheers in advance!

Signed a 16 y/o USA wonderkid, scouting reports said he could be inconsistent, he also has a professional personality... I used nothing but 'Expect a win/performance' and 'Pickup where you left off' talks with him during his first season. He was anything but inconsistent and won the league MVP at age 17. Now he's in his second season, none of my coaches are reporting him ass possibly inconsistent and he's got more then 1 goal per game. He's almost always motivated in a match, and combined with regular pats on the back for good play he's got me and my club listed as favorites after 1 1/2 seasons.

So I don't see any problem with that team talk at all... granted it always depends on the player. But in the right situation like I mentioned, it's no problem at all.

Archived