Quick question about running with the ball.

i have a new young striker with an 18 dribble skill, he runs with the ball a lot which I like, but seems to have it tackled away more then my others players when he runs. Is there something specific I can do to make this harder on the D? I tried having him learn to knock the ball past as he's fast as well but it didn't take the first time, is there something like decisions or technique that might help prevent it more (he's not poor in either, just wondering if it might help)?

Thanks.

I think Flair can make a big difference. I have a very average young winger who has about 14 Flair and 10 dribbling (this is at conference level) and he's excellent at getting past the fullbacks despite most of his other skills being 10 or less. I would also imagine technique, pace, balance and agility come into it somewhere too but i have no idea how much each attribute counts.

Yes, any technical attribute needs good mental and physical attributes to reinforce it. Maybe your fella is too one-dimensional and is great dribbling round cones on the training ground, but runs straight into defenders on the pitch. He needs to be strong enough not to get brushed off the ball, he needs agility and balance to get round an opponent and stay on his feet, and he needs decisions to know when a dribble is on and when it isn't. That's in addition to CElliott's correct observations. How much each attribute counts varies from one unique situation to another.

Well he's certainly not poor, was released from R.Madrid at 20y/o... stupid transfer system releasing him on a free.

He's got 15 pace and strength, 13+ agility and balance (don't remember specifically). 12 technique as opposed to my other 18 dibble striker who has a 10 tech and never gets the ball taken away. The only other difference I can think of are the mentals, there isn't much difference, he's only 1-2 points lower on decisions, flair, creativity... Hmm just thought, maybe it's his low anticipation at only 6-7, he doesn't see it coming and so loses the ball I guess?

Just trying to figure it out because him and my other young striker are totally dominating my league in every fashion, but just seems like every other run he makes someones dives into a tackles and bye bye ball. *shrug*

Not used to posting SS, and too lazy, but finally made myself do it. Sorry for image quality and such, since I don't do it didn't come out how I'd like...

Anyway the first is my striker that never has the ball taken away, plays as an advanced forward.

Second is the player the has the ball tackled away regularly. His anticipation is higher then I thought earlier and his bravery is actually higher then the other guys. Not really much difference otherwise but he still loses the ball more then I've seen from other players.

fmplayer2.jpg

FMplayer1.jpg

Archived