The Rearguard Tactic is back for FM11 - A rock solid defense (451 Formation)

How do you rate this tactic?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this tactic?

• Excellent! Very solid defensively and quite effective in attack.
    • Quiet good. The defense is quite good but the attack isn't very effective.
    • Average. Good tactic but nothing special.
    • Poor tactic. Didn't work for me.

A new 11.3 patch version of the tactic can be found here:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20156688/4-5-1++Standard+Short+%282%29+%28Liverpool%2C+Sep+

"Invincibility lies in the defense" - Sun Tzu

I am a defensive manager. Those who tried my Rearguard tactic in FM 2010 will know that this updated version of the tactic for FM11 is going to be a defensive/counter attacking tactic with emphasis on having a rock solid defense.

fixturesa.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fixtures2.jpg

countertacticteaminstru.jpg

Main Features of the Rearguard FM11 Tactic Set:

- A rock solid defense.

- An organized team play. Provided that you have the right players and you follow the guidelines further below, your team is expected to play a very well organized football as a unit and it will be very difficult to break down.

Yes, this tactic is for patch 11.1.1

The tactic has been developed primarily for my beloved Liverpool FC, the mighty Reds, the most successful football club in England. For this reason, I am going to talk a bit about the tactic and then give special insight on how to employ the tactic for Liverpool.

The tactic has been developed using the tactic creator - it is therefore a simple tactic with no complex tweaks or instructions. The reasoning behind my decision not to manually tweak mentality, closing down, d-line/width/tempo etc. is due to my trust in SI people who designed the game and the ME have installed settings properly and in the right measures for each tactical choice you make on the TC regarding philosophy, strategy, etc.

The tactic is based on a rigid philosophy because it puts emphasis on maintaining shape. The tactic comes in three versions as follows:

451 Standard: to be used in home games when your team are clear or slight favorites to win the match.

451 Counter: to be used in home games when you are up against stronger opponents and in away games against weaker teams.

451 Defend: to be used mainly in away games when you are facing stronger opponents.

Always ask you assistant manager to employ OI settings.

Key crosscutting attributes for all positions are: concentration, anticipation, determination, decisions, positioning, team work, work rate and stamina. This tactic requires intelligent and hard working players with high stamina. That being said, this tactic may not work for lower league teams.

This tactic set is teams of intelligent, hard working players.

General player requirements for maximum success using the tactic set:

GK: you have to have a quality GK. key attributes are: reflexes, composure, concentration, positioning, agility. other attributes include: handling, decisions, jumping and acceleration.

FB: they've got to have high attributes for passing, tackling, anticipation, decisions, positioning, teamwork, work rate, acceleration and stamina.

RCB (limited defender): marking, tackling, anticipation, concentration, bravery, determination, work rate, jumping, stamina and strength.

LCB: (ball playing defender): a Daniel Agger or Thomas Vermalen type of CB - he has to have high attributes for passing, tackling, technique, composure, concentration, decisions, determination positioning, and jumping.

DMC: marking, tackling, concentration, decisions, positioning, teamwork, work rate, and most importantly: stamina. strength is a plus.

MCR: this is a key position for this tactic. this player has to be a real midfield enforcer who destroys the opposition's attacks high up in midfield and quickly starts a counter attack. therefore, he has to have high attributes for tackling, aggression, anticipation, bravery, concentration, determination, team work, work rate, and stamina. Yann M'vila and Adam Vass are two of the best players I've played in this position. Lucas and Raul Meireles were quite good two in my Liverpool game.

MCL: a traditional box-to-box player. Steven Gerrard in the best in this position and he scores many goals.

Inside forwards: it is important they can dribble, finish, move intelligently (decisions + off the ball), they also have to be quick (acceleration + pace should be at the very least 13+). Agility is a plus.

ST: this is a key position since the tactic mainly relies on the sole striker to score goals. Torres is the best player I've used in this position. key attributes are: finishing, dribbling, anticipation, composure, off the ball, and pace. It is recommended that the striker be OK in the air too (jumping at least 11+). Also strength is a plus if you are playing in the EPL.

Important tips:

1. Use the attached training schedules which I've designed.

2. Match preparation: from day one put the three tactics (standard, counter, defend) in match preparation. Workload: High (until the team reaches high levels of familiarity). Also from day one set match preparation on: team blend until one week from the start of the league matches, when you are recommended to switch to: defensive positioning. Whenever you have a home match against a weaker team, you can change match preparation to attacking movement. whenever you have a game against strong rivals, set match preparation to: defending free kicks. Otherwise stick to defensive positioning and from time to time: team blend.

3. Always ask your assistant manager for OIs.

4. Always try to be positive in pre-match teamtalks. Motivate your players.. Be more demanding when you are playing at home, especially against weaker teams. At half time, always ask your players not get complacent if they are leading by a goal or two. Never say that you are pleased if you are leading at half time because it will make your team become more relaxed and this may result in making mistakes at the back.

5. Ask the groundsman to use minimum pitch size.

Now if you are managing Liverpool. I have the following recommendations:

*Players to sell: Skrtel and Konchesky.

*Players to buy: (Recommended: Adil Rami and Yann M'Vila)

RCB (limited defender) (to replace Skrtel): Adil Rami is my favourite - doesn't cost much (around 4.8m). A great defender - very similar to Carragher (but faster and better in the air). Other options include: Hangeland, Michael Dawson, Phil Jones, David Wheater, Andrea Masiello, Rafael Toloi.

DMC: Yann M'Villa (who can be used as a very good MCR as well), or Etienne Capoue, or Lee Cattermole.

MCR (optional): Yann M'Vila or Adam Vass or Sulley Muntari

Inside forward: Dimitri Payet, Luis Suarez, Pedro, Mata, or Lennon.

To replace Konchesky, I recommend Jose Angel of Sporting (use him as cover to first choice LB Fabio Aurelio).

Recommended staff additions:

- John Versleeuwen (sign him up as a coach)

- Bernhard Peters

- Marco Rota

- Gerald Ehrmann (GK coach)

- and of course Paul Winsper!

Also, it is highly recommended that you pay attention to weather conditions. Never change passing to short unless you have a dry weather.

Try my tactics and please feel free to give me your constructive feedback.

Good luck.

YNWA.

Links to the tactic set:

451 Counter: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OMUS53JJ

451 Standard: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AUHK1HW0

4141 Defend: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VG8DN852

Links to the training schedules:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U6CUVAQ9

VERY IMPORTANT TWEAKS

- If your wingers (inside forwards) are not performing very well at half time and/or your wingers (inside forwards) are not very good at dribbling, lower their (Run with Ball) from 'Often' to 'Mixed.

- If your full backs are good at crossing (i.e. crossing +13), you can increase their 'Cross Ball' from 'Mixed' to 'Often'.

- If you are playing the 'Counter' tactic, use the touchline shout: pass into space.

- If you are playing at home against a weaker side, it is recommended that you increase team closing down from 'default' to 'press more'.

otgame.jpg

Other important tips:

- When you are playing in dry weather at home, you will most probably be playing the standard version: it is recommended that you switch passing style: short.

- When you are leading by more than one goal, it is recommended that you ask your players to retain position.

- If you are playing Liverpool, whenever Torres is injured or not fit, it is recommended that you play either Jovanovic or Ngog as a replacement ST. They are both very capable covers for Torres so there is no need to buy a backup striker.

Would this be a good tactic for a team like Blackpool? I don't want to be one of those guys that try it for 2 minutes and say its **** but I put it on holiday (just to test it) and we got belted every game, made some decent signings as well. I will try control it myself but I really don't know if my side is good enough or the tactic doesn't suit the players i currently have. I tried to follow your guide as closely as possible.

Would this be a good tactic for a team like Blackpool? I don't want to be one of those guys that try it for 2 minutes and say its **** but I put it on holiday (just to test it) and we got belted every game, made some decent signings as well. I will try control it myself but I really don't know if my side is good enough or the tactic doesn't suit the players i currently have. I tried to follow your guide as closely as possible.

Blackpool is going to get trounced in holiday mode no matter the tactic, to win with them you got to watch the matches closely and adapt to your opposition, and don't expect nothing big either, avoiding relegation would be an amazing finish.

• 1 month later...

would this work for chelsea do you think? am using 451 but defensively i not having much luck. do you find it restricts goals scored much? have a feeling this could be quite mourinho ish kind of tactic all about the result which appeals to me right now!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i love tactics of "1-0"...tactics that you have the best defence in the league, and second or third best attack...i dont like 100 and 120 goals, i think they are unrealistic...

Greek Championship in 27 (3 to go) games with this tactic, 23-4-0, 59-12...Champion with 12 points different from second...

Champions League Group, 3-0-3, 7-8, against 3 better teams...(Man U, Schahtar, Sambdoria, i am Panathinaikos)

16 teams of CL, vs Kopenhagen, 1-1 Home, 0-4 Away...

31 matches, 17 cleen sheets !

AND ALL THIS, WITH A MEDIOCRE GOALKEEPER...

i ve started several saves with Panathinaikos after 11.3 patch, with the purpose of building a team with great success in Europe from FIRST year...

this is the best tactic...

BRILLIANT JOB samer...

PS. i ve made some changes to DEFENSIVE set pieces, when i conceeded 3 goals at home from Man Utd, 2 from corners and one from set pieces and from then its working better i think...

Corners : 5 back, 2 posts, 3 forward...

Free Kicks : 4 back, 2 posts, 3 wall, 1 forward...

and something else...i think samer, is the first in the community, that found out the Near Post "cheat"...

anyway...GREAT ROCK TACTIC

Where's the counter version? That link only has the standard.

I want to use this along side tik tok in big/away/european matches where I'm getting dominated.

edit - I modified the 11.3 tactic to use the instructions from the first post for counter, and did some tweaking to the instructions. Made it a bit more direct.

• 2 weeks later...

some more feedback...

66 league matches unbeated in October 2012...

that means that i havent lost a single match in the league from the beggining of the save...

i ve finished my second year conceeding 7 goals in 30 matches...

although, not any big success in europe until know...

first season as i ve written above, won kopenhagen in first knockout 5-1 agg, then won spartak moschow 5-1 agg, but lost to the semi finals from Chelsea...(1-1 away, 1-1 home, 2-2 extra time)

second season i ve finished third in the Group, gone to Europa Cup, won Espanyol to 32 (2-2 agg), won Hercules to 16 (5-1 agg) but knocked out then (8) from City 4-1 agg...

this is not a diablo tactic but it is so solid 99% of the times...

5/5/11 edit...

i ve just finished a match with a lower quality team, with 87-13 possesion :D

• 5 weeks later...

the tactic samer upload for 11.3 was only one...

the three in the first post are for 11.1 i think

My conclusion for the tactic is that it is great if you like conceeding very little and want the Championship with one of the big in any league or you are a mid-low team and you want to overachive in a league, its great...but when you play against the giants in the Champions League with big teams from small countries its not enough...

i think samer made a great job because building a tactic that scores is easier than building a tactic that doesnt conceed...

i hope samer comes back with a better tactic for us that like X-0 scores...:)

Nice tactic mate. Love these tactics with 1-0 2-0 victorys etc... it sounds weird but i hate scoring 120 goals a season, just makes it boring. Anyway, Thank you very much for this tactic, Ive never seen the defence playing better. Well done mate!

Archived