FM eating my PC up.

This is only really noticeabler if I'm watching a DVD or Blu Ray through Power DVD. Although it does happen other times of course, just not as noticeable.

If FM is running alonside it, the movie starts jittering for like 3 minutes. Opening up task manager shows FM using 1GB of RAM and 95% CPU. Appreciate that the RAM will stay up there, but the CPU doesn't drop for aaaaaages after the processing has stopped. ie continue has been pressed and the results have gone through. I'm back to my news screen and not touching anything. CPU stays up in the 90%'s for a few more minutes. Is this normal? What else could be happenign at this point? I've chacked settings to make sure that data collection is disabled and hyperlinks not clickable etc. (Not sure if that makes a difference but did it anyway)

Even as I type, FM has ben sat there for 10 minutes doing nothing, yet the CPU is floating in the 20s.

SPEC

I7 950

12GB RAM

Radeon HD 6850

Thanks.

It's normal, FM is likely processing other teams' fixtures in the background. HD video playback and FM are both very CPU intensive tasks, so simple time sharing between the two will result in the jittery playback you mention as the video player has to wait too long for CPU time to decode the video frames. You could try playing with the CPU priority of FM and your player to make Windows bias the video player, or, seeing how you have a multi-core system, assign them to a different set of CPU cores. Processing will be slower but your video should play more smoothly (assuming the cores you assigned to it are fast enough).

Use gamebooster mate,it worked for meand a lot of people on these forums

Just wanted to say thanks for suggesting that. Hadn't heard of it before but tried it now and it makes a difference.

Oh and I know it's beside the point but not having a DVD and FM needlessly open at the same time would solve it too ;-)

If you have the money, why not?

I'd guess he's running a minimum 10+ leagues for so much background processing. I run 6 active leagues (England Spain France Italy Germany and Scotland) on a PC with 6gig ram and an intel i5 and after about 10 minutes CPU drops under 10 - but it will hit performance of any other application when processing as you would expect. Solution? Laptop. Play FM and watch TV!

An i7 should have no trouble processing FM fixtures and watching a HD movie at the same time. I do it all the time (I got an i7 870). I always browse the web, watch movies or do other stuff while FM calculates the matches. Even if FM is using all the cores fully windows will just free up a bit of processing power to keep the video and browsing smooth (unless you've messed with FMs priority of course).

The only way my pc is running at 100% is when I have BOINC running. If I want to I can keep it running while playing FM (BOINC will snooze when FM needs to process fixtures).

Now that I think about it, perhaps you should try another media player. Like VLC player.

Archived