Can't win a game at all with any team after being unbeaten for 6 months [Help]

JLlo

I was an unemployed manager and the first job I got I went unbeaten for the first half of the season and was joint top of the league going into the winter break, having just beat the previous league leader 4-0 away from home. All my players had very good (or better) morale and my team was flying high. Then after the winter break all my players returned with very poor morale and I had no idea why. Then I only won 2 of the remaining 13 league games loosing 9 of them. I ended up finishing 5th after being almost assured of promotion before the winter break.

2nd season started where the 1st season left off, all players very poor morale and almost half the squad wanted to leave. Could not score a goal, let alone win a game. Even got beat by an amateur team on pens in the cup. Got sacked after 8 games.

Then spent a season without a job and finally got offered a new job. I strengthened my new team greatly and had a decent team. My expectations are to avoid relegation but my team is easily good enough to finish in the top 8. But exactly the same thing that happened in my last job is happening... ALL my players have very poor morale and after 6 league games I have 0 points having conceded 18 goals and only scored 2. I have only managed more than 1 shot in a game once. Then to top it off, the exact same happened as in my previous job as I got knocked out of the cup on pens to an amateur team! The worst result was a 6-0 loss to the best team in league Away... but in that game I had 61% possession and only had 1 shot and 3 of their goals were from 30+ yards out.

I've no idea what is going wrong!? I spend a lot of time doing tactics and monitoring players motivation, morale and development. I pay a lot of attention to press conferences and team talks. It is annoying especially when all of my mates don't pay attention to any of that, they get their assistant managers to do everything and just player a basic preset tactic and have all won leagues/cups easily! Makes no sense at all!

I'm baffled! Any advice would be appreciated.

Just as I posted this thread... I completely went for a different tactical approach and won 3-0 away from home against a much better team, scoring more goals in one match than I have done all season! Hopefully it's not just a one off.

Morale is, I dare say, the biggest factor in calculating results in FM2011. Win the morale mini-games and you win matches.

Arrange some friendlies against hopeless opposition teams whenever you can (eg. vs your youth team with all the good players promoted), even if it means squeezing one in in the 4 days you have between games. Always praise good performances, always praise good form, always criticise poor form (they like this...go figure) and so on. You need to focus 100% on morale right now.

Archived