Something I Learned about Transfer Rumors

and even after chatting him up with a positive resolution, he'll never talk contract with you again.

Have to disagree with that, I've had Vaclav Kadlec for 8 and a half sesons, he's been praised to high heavens by every manager under the sun and has told me he wants to move to a bigger club more times than I can count. I always tell him 'I want the club to grow to match his ambitions which settles him down and I've got him to sign a new 2 year deal every year so far.

Wweelll, I guess it's good to see it can happen, but I've had two STs now, both my leading goalscorers at the time, come in for by a world-class club. I issued a Hands-Off warning, and they got upset. Knocked on my door, they did. We sat down, had a little face-to-face, and I told him the same thing - "I want the club to grow to meet your ambitions and I need my best players to help me do that." And he's happy and leaves the room. But his Personal tab says he's still Concerned: Wants to move to a bigger club, and his agent won't let me talk contract with him. I had to sell the first ST before he left on a free, and that upset the fans no end...six months later, and they still haven't forgiven me.

Now, I'm in the same boat again, and will probably be forced to sell my current best-goal-scorer before he leaves on a free, and the fans will hate me all the more. But they will still love me, because we're gonna win Ligue 2...

Wweelll, I guess it's good to see it can happen, but I've had two STs now, both my leading goalscorers at the time, come in for by a world-class club. I issued a Hands-Off warning, and they got upset. Knocked on my door, they did. We sat down, had a little face-to-face, and I told him the same thing - "I want the club to grow to meet your ambitions and I need my best players to help me do that." And he's happy and leaves the room. But his Personal tab says he's still Concerned: Wants to move to a bigger club, and his agent won't let me talk contract with him. I had to sell the first ST before he left on a free, and that upset the fans no end...six months later, and they still haven't forgiven me.

Now, I'm in the same boat again, and will probably be forced to sell my current best-goal-scorer before he leaves on a free, and the fans will hate me all the more. But they will still love me, because we're gonna win Ligue 2...

i never let players get to the last year of their contracts for this very reason, if a player has less than 2 years i either try and get him on a new one or sell him before the start of his last contracted season. As for the wants to move to a bigger club thing, give it 6 months and it will dissappear, then get in right away with a new contract offer, although he will prob ask for a wage increase you can negotiate around it.

Have to disagree with that, I've had Vaclav Kadlec for 8 and a half sesons, he's been praised to high heavens by every manager under the sun and has told me he wants to move to a bigger club more times than I can count. I always tell him 'I want the club to grow to match his ambitions which settles him down and I've got him to sign a new 2 year deal every year so far.

That's different from what the OP is saying, i've also issued a hands-off on a transfer speculation and the player wouldn't back off from getting a transfer out of the club.

What you are stating is when a player comes to you saying that he is unhappy and wants to move to a bigger club and doing what you wrote will always keep him happy(almost looks like a bug tbh).

That's different from what the OP is saying, i've also issued a hands-off on a transfer speculation and the player wouldn't back off from getting a transfer out of the club.

What you are stating is when a player comes to you saying that he is unhappy and wants to move to a bigger club and doing what you wrote will always keep him happy(almost looks like a bug tbh).

I should have included in my post that the times my player has come to me claiming he wants to move has coincided with me having to respond to transfer speculation about him, so my point is relevant to the op.

Also I'm pretty sure it's not a bug but more down to the fact that the SPL is now amongst the top 10 leagues in Europe and my team have regularly been in the latter stages of the CL as well as 8 SPL titles in a row meaning that I'm finding it easier to keep hold of my top players, even when 'big' clubs try to unsettle them.

I only respond now if I want shot of the player. Too many nightmare scenarios on FM10 where my title winning newcastle squad was on the verge of being ripped apart due to my players becoming unsettled after i responded to media praise from managers of lesser teams, then rejecting their subsequent bid.

I should have included in my post that the times my player has come to me claiming he wants to move has coincided with me having to respond to transfer speculation about him, so my point is relevant to the op.

Also I'm pretty sure it's not a bug but more down to the fact that the SPL is now amongst the top 10 leagues in Europe and my team have regularly been in the latter stages of the CL as well as 8 SPL titles in a row meaning that I'm finding it easier to keep hold of my top players, even when 'big' clubs try to unsettle them.

My bad then.

The only reason that i think is a bug is because i've used that option " i want the club to grow and you are going to be a part of it" or however is worded like 3 or 4 times in a row without having major success and it always works to settle them down..

It doesn't always work Coentrao. Most of the time I've found it works, but I've had a couple of cases where the player has said he doesn't believe I can keep my promise and I've ultimately been forced to sell him.

that will be the case tho, some players will want to move on no matter what, it sucks but you unless your a huge club its something you have to manage.

Was just about to create a thread on this topic

Similar Scenario, player with a 3 years to run on his current contract talks to me about moving to a bigger club, I say this club is going to grow and he should stay, he disagrees and neither of us would back down. I rejected a transfer request too.

Is there anyway back when a player says that he thinks the relationship has broken down?

Similar Scenario, player with a 3 years to run on his current contract talks to me about moving to a bigger club, I say this club is going to grow and he should stay, he disagrees and neither of us would back down. I rejected a transfer request too.

Is there anyway back when a player says that he thinks the relationship has broken down?

if he has three years left on his contract he may come around, but not always.

I've had two break downs (with important players).

One of them kept me as favourite personnel, but never wanted to negotiate new contract. Contract ran out four years after he handed in the transfer request and he left the club having been an important player and having a good relationship with me. He played thoose four seasons for 1/4, of what he would have gotten had he signed a new contract.

The other arrived at my club last season. After a couple of months with average performances I made him "important first team player" instead of "Key player".

Unhappy->player interaction->angry->handed in a transfer request->denied->break down in player communication.

Kept playing him, and after a good performance I was able to praise him. He was also a topic at many press conferences where I stated he was part of my plans. Now im into next season and he has a slight worry (been denied transfer) but is happy playing for the club and performing well. (and its possible to negotiate new contract with him).

Currently, despite the breakdown, his agent was willing to strike a deal throughout the january window (It all started when Pat Rice tapped him up and I issued a hands off warning right at the end of december). His demanded weree very high but I knew that because arsenal were looking and we werent on good terms were the reasons behind these high demands so I just left the talks (not exit them).

I'll probably try to get him to sign a new deal near the end of the season, he'll have 2 years left by then and I'll be looking to get him to sign. I'm wondering if he'll be still interested in signing a new contract if I blow wind up his arse (i.e. tell him everything he wants to hear). Would it be a case of getting him to sign a new contract then having him getting upset the minute another club comes sniffing again even if he has 4 years left on a deal? Anyone been in that scenario?

This is what I do on FM11:

- On siginng a player, add a rediculously massive Minimum Release Clause.

- Never respond to transfer speculation. Never Never Never Never.

- If a Club makes an Enquiry or Negotiable bid, re-negotiate and state the acceptable value of the transfer to the Minimum Release Clause.

Unless your board interferes, Clubs would leave you alone.

Man City was once rumoured to want to buy my Carlos Vela but I issued a hands-off warning and he claimed he was happy at Arsenal.

You should consider their personalities, but generally, it's a bad idea to respond to transfer speculation stuff unless you are COMPLETELY sure you are the much bigger, more accomplished, more ambitious and more influential team. If I were Barca and Man City wanted Busquets, giving a hands-off warning is a no-brainer unless Man City have been dominating the football scene for 10 years.

I sweet talked the player telling him that i'll do what he wants then I got him to sign a new 5 year contract. He's enjoying playing for the club, happy to have signed a new contract but has personal issues with me in the assistants feedback before a match. How do I improve the underlying bad vibes?

Archived