Contract Negotiations Are Pontless!!

I find when try to negotiate either players or staff, very annoying and ultimately pointless. The whole point of negotiations are to come to an agreement that both parties are willing to accept. But on FM11 that doesn't happen, what happens is that you suggest a wage and then they compromise a small amount and that is it. Even if you're not happy they stand firm on their decision. There is no way to change their position, and on some occasions when you suggest a wage they then come back with a wage higher than they were will to accept.

I would hope that this gets sorted out but I'm not holding my breath. It is very annoying especially when you are playing a lower-league and are on a budget.

There's also some kind of exploit when you can offer someone 200,000 per week after 30 league games for club and the player will happily accept your offer even if his basic wage is 1€ per week.

But wouldn't you have to pay him 200,000 a week after he played his 30 games?

The spellcheck function on the forums also seems pontless.

I hope for your sake you're just trolling...

There's also some kind of exploit when you can offer someone 200,000 per week after 30 league games for club and the player will happily accept your offer even if his basic wage is 1€ per week.

Other way around. Wouldn't be much sense doing it your way.

And to OP, I think you may actually be the one missing the point of negotiations. I find the whole system quite good, as a matter of fact. It's all to do with finding a balance between the different areas of the contract- If their wage demands are too high, offer them a higher signing on fee instead; if their requested signing fee is too high then dangle a carrot instead by significantly increasing the bonus for scoring a goal. I find players are generally very flexible if I am too- On a previous save in a salary-capped league, I even got a few key players down to $0 wages with huge bonuses for playing/scoring instead, effectively a "pay as you play" type contract.

But wouldn't you have to pay him 200,000 a week after he played his 30 games?

Sure, but I use it when I sign young stars who won't play every week - this way I can spend MUCH less on their wages and when they get close to 30 games (in a year or two) I simply offer them a new contract.

He thought he was being funny because I made a typo, but in actual fact he wasn't. Because by taking the p**s out of me forgetting the "i" in pointless, he didn't realise that spell check is two different words. So if you are going to comment on someones language, then you better be 100% sure you are spelling your words correctly.

getting back on topic, you can also save money by offering an agent more. in 1 case the opening deal was 20k a week for the player and 60k for the agent. i got the player on 12k a week by offering the agent 100k. so after 5 weeks i had already saved money.

erm not really, hes just that contradicting and serves him right for trying to make the op look an idiot when he was just expressing a view.

If you look at the post again though, he highlights "pontless", therefore insinuating the 2nd poster had spelled that word incorrectly.

Haha, spelling/grammar arguments are the most pontless things on forums!

i think the negotiations are pretty good, better being real time than offering a wage and waiting a few days before going through it all again. You just have to use all the different contract features to lower the main wage, give huge bonuses for things like teams of the year and goals after x amount of games and you can reduce their wage demands easily depending on the agent you are dealing with.

Contract negotiations in FM11 are a lot better than in FM10. If you keep trying to lowball them it won't work. Compromise with your players (get rid of some of the clauses. Accept their wage demands for example) and it would all work out and both sides are happy. :)

Contrary to the experience of the OP, I find that I can end up in a quite healthy set of negotiations. Of course, if your idea of negotiations is to haggle over weekly wages like the player is a rug in a market, you will be disappointed. But if you love figuring out ways to get the player what he wants while keeping within your Board's restrictions, or leaving yourself room in your wage budget for further acquisitions, you'll really love this version's negotiating. At least, I do. :)

As for the spelling debate, the accepted spelling according to Merriam-Webster Online is "spell-check", that is, a single, hyphenated compound word. So y'all are all wrong. :D

The funny part is how SI just adds a few new parameters to negotiations and pass it off as a new feature which the faithful welcome as agents.

Certainly nothing new just another fee to pay.

Then you compare the value of 'agents' against a broken transfer system... FM11 didn't get better then FM10.

Contrary to the experience of the OP, I find that I can end up in a quite healthy set of negotiations. Of course, if your idea of negotiations is to haggle over weekly wages like the player is a rug in a market, you will be disappointed. But if you love figuring out ways to get the player what he wants while keeping within your Board's restrictions, or leaving yourself room in your wage budget for further acquisitions, you'll really love this version's negotiating. At least, I do. :)

As for the spelling debate, the accepted spelling according to Merriam-Webster Online is "spell-check", that is, a single, hyphenated compound word. So y'all are all wrong. :D

+1 I love the contracts in FM11, negotiating them actually requires you to do a little thinking.

I also found at the lower level players are willing to accept a higher appearance fee and a lower weekly wage. I was renewing the contract of a 34 year old player he wanted £50 appearance fee and £600 a week, I got him to accept £100 per week and £200 per appearance. The league I play in means there is only one match a week due to a very short season.

The negotiations are a new feature in FM10 they were awful at least this one gives you the chance to get it all done in one go and you actually have a chance of getting them to accept a lower wage.

I think if you're a club with money then you have the room to play, like adding higher bonuses. But when you are a lower league club and you offer a contract to a player who's asking for alot at the beginning, there is no room to negotiate. You can't offer him bigger bonuses, as your club can't afford them and if you do offer him a lower wage there is a chance he will ask for more wages than he originally asked for. How is that right?? Did I offend the player so much he said a big f**k you?? How dare you offer me £300 when I asked for £750, now I'm gonna ask for £1000. Oh and by the way if we don't come to an agreement I never want to hear from you again. How is that good?? At least on FM10 if you couldn't come to an agreement you could offer him another contract in a week or so.

So no the contract negotiations aren't very good!!

I have found it far too easy to do contracts... Staff I want to get rid off easily agree far shorter contracts with just a modest payrise, so I save lot of money when terminating their contracts, when signing new players and staff I can get them go down some amount from their demands and overall I seem to be able to sign too good players and staff considering the level my teams are playing...

In spite all the "bugs" being reported by some of the gamers, i like the current contract negotiations. However my main point of frustration is when i agree all the personal details with the player, but get stuck on the agent fee. He demands 625k and i can offer just 600k...and i miss out on a very good player:mad:

I think if you're a club with money then you have the room to play, like adding higher bonuses. But when you are a lower league club and you offer a contract to a player who's asking for alot at the beginning, there is no room to negotiate. You can't offer him bigger bonuses, as your club can't afford them and if you do offer him a lower wage there is a chance he will ask for more wages than he originally asked for. How is that right?? Did I offend the player so much he said a big f**k you?? How dare you offer me £300 when I asked for £750, now I'm gonna ask for £1000. Oh and by the way if we don't come to an agreement I never want to hear from you again. How is that good?? At least on FM10 if you couldn't come to an agreement you could offer him another contract in a week or so.

So no the contract negotiations aren't very good!!

you should read the post above as a way of dealing with contracts at lower clubs. of course it will be tougher further down the leagues. football always is

I find when try to negotiate either players or staff, very annoying and ultimately pointless. The whole point of negotiations are to come to an agreement that both parties are willing to accept. But on FM11 that doesn't happen, what happens is that you suggest a wage and then they compromise a small amount and that is it. Even if you're not happy they stand firm on their decision. There is no way to change their position.

The only point I would make is, that the key word is negotiation. The player has compromised a little you say, If you then compromise a little too. Things happen. Try and offer a better bonus. Or a better appearance fee. I've found very often the players will negotiate more than the first round offer. Of course, it is also dependant on the agent somewhat and his patience attribute. I think you might be just expecting the player has to accept your offer and that's it!

I've decided I like the new contract negotiations, actually. It took me a while, but I'm enjoying bargaining over clauses and the like.

Not sure if the AI is doing so well, seeing they seem to often struggle to seal deals, and I think that tends to depress the transfer market - but the base of the new system is really good.

I have found negotiations to be pretty good, and they do vary depending on the agent you are dealing with. They could ask for £100k per week for their player, I offer £50k then they come back and ask for £80k, so they have shifted from their original request since they realise I am not willing to pay it. Also there are all the other factors like appearance fees and bonuses, like other people have mentioned.

I like the negotiations for the most part, because you can actually negotiate more.

Although I'm only playing a lower league save at the moment, it's been really helpful managing my clubs finances, that I've been able to haggle with players and agents, thus getting demands for most players down towards something affordable.

I'll simply point out, too, that it's quite realistic that, if your counter-offer is too low, the player might very well decide to jack his demands up in response. As someone who negotiated settlements for years and years, that's not an unrealistic response to a low-ball offer.

Btw, if you are offering a contract to a player who you have scouted, I find that the scout/coach's opinion of the salary range in which you can land your fish to be fairly accurate. I tend to split that range down the middle, sometimes to the light side of the middle if I think the player will be very interested in coming to the club, sometimes to the heavy side of the middle if I think he's attracting a lot of attention. And I play almost nothing but lower-league saves, so I'm quite well aware of the financial limits that places on you. ;)

The more annoying part is not being able to have the current club pay off some of his contract. It works the other way if one of your players leaves and agrees to a lesser deal but good luck trying to get it to work the other way. That's why certain players are always on the transfer list and never get bought. I like Fernando Gago as a player and he's always listed but his £80,000 wages mean only a handful of clubs could afford him and he ends up rotting until his contract runs out. The same thing with half of Man City's squad.

I've found it pretty good. I've evn played hard ball with an agent, and gave a far smaller wage and demanded it was the final offer - (I didn't have any choice due to a small wage budgetl) - and the agent praised my tough negotiating skills and the player signed on the dot.

Archived