Calling players up for adopted country

danilolins.jpg

I am the manager of New Zealand and Auckland City recently I got a news item saying the the above player had decided to take New Zealand nationality as he did not think he would get the chance to play for Brazil. Why can't I call him up to the New Zealand side?

Acquisition of a New Nationality

Any Player who refers to art. 15 par. 1 to assume a new nationality

and who has not played international football in accordance with art.

15 par. 2 shall be eligible to play for the new representative team

only if he fulfils one of the following conditions:

(a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;

(b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the

territory of the relevant Association;

© His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the

relevant Association;

(d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the

age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association.

Source

I think you've misunderstood the OP's question. The time to gain a passport varies from country to country as you have said. It is a minimal of 5 years to represent an adopted country without exception though. Say for instance, Messi could have gotten a Spanish passport (2nd nationality) after 2 years with Barca, but he could not have represented Spain (if he wanted to) unless he stays in Spain for 5 years.

Surely if he said he is taking up New Zealand nationality cause he has no chance of playing for Brazil that would mean he is now prepared to play for the kiwis therefore his nations eligible would now change to show New Zealand as well as Brazil ?

Is this a bug of some sort maybe ??

P.S can you not use FMRTE to change his nations eligible for so you can call him up ?

Acquisition of a New Nationality

Any Player who refers to art. 15 par. 1 to assume a new nationality

and who has not played international football in accordance with art.

15 par. 2 shall be eligible to play for the new representative team

only if he fulfils one of the following conditions:

(a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;

(b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the

territory of the relevant Association;

© His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the

relevant Association;

(d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the

age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association.

Source

Explains it perfectly, cheers.

Surely if he said he is taking up New Zealand nationality cause he has no chance of playing for Brazil that would mean he is now prepared to play for the kiwis therefore his nations eligible would now change to show New Zealand as well as Brazil ?

Is this a bug of some sort maybe ??

P.S can you not use FMRTE to change his nations eligible for so you can call him up ?

That is the part I do not understand surely the news item should have referred to the fact that although he has taken a New Zealand nationality it will be another 2 years before he can represent his adopted country. I will not be using FMRTE I will just wait for another 2 years and see if I can call him up then.

Quite clear to me. He isn't eligible to represent NZ because of the 5 years. He took up NZ nationality so that he won't be considered a foreign player in the league (benefits both player and club).

Gone thru the same issue before. You will definitely be able to call him up after 5 years (receiving a message of eligibility in due course).

The 5 year rule was introduced to circumvent nations from 'buying' up players and giving them instant nationality, some of whom haven't even resided in the country before. A few Middle Eastern countries tried to do so, hence why the ruling.

The 5 year rule was introduced to circumvent nations from 'buying' up players and giving them instant nationality, some of whom haven't even resided in the country before. A few Middle Eastern countries tried to do so, hence why the ruling.

I wondered why the rules was in place, just got a news message about a different player being eligible to play for New Zealand due to living there for 5 years.

Archived