Some tips for new or struggling players

Firstly, i have been playing the FM/CM series since the first version a long time ago on my amiga! :) Back then Champman was fairly easy once you got to know it. Of course it sometimes felt like the Ai would "cheat" but as long as your where managing cambridge (if anyone else remebers) you would have a ticket from div 4 to div 1 pretty easily! More recently i have found the game more difficult. The "modern" FM is much more in depth than it used to be. I havent owned every issue every year but i have generally updated every couple of years and 2011 for me is the best and not exactly easy anymore to be a success.

Over the last couple of weeks i feel like i have "got it". There are certain elements to the game that are weighted heavily regarding your potential success and i thought id share my thoughts with you. Of course, much of this information is available in more detailed form elsewhere on this forum, this is intended as a basic guide.

It is also based on experiences of managing 1 club, hereford, available at the start of the game if unemployed and tipped to struggle against relegation. MY style did not broing innstant success, i finished mid table the first season, 3rd the second promoted (and JP trophy finialsists, and mid table L1 in the 3rd but i have made steady improvments. I got the "over acheiver" thing on steam and manager of the year in the second season.

Ok my advice for what its worth!

Dont under estimate certain player stats - Determiniation is valuable for everyone, they will fight to the end! Off the ball - vital for attack minded players. Postitioning - vital for defence minded players and can negate poor pace to an extend.

also work rate is important and for me Passing - possession is key! Try to ensure most players can pass to an extent - L2 approx 7-10 is good

make sure you have some depth in the squad and if poss contract on a rotation system unless they really are an outstanding player.

Use your Assistant. I made sure mine had good "motivation" i used him for team talks and learnt a lot. Dont always use him tho! dont be afraid to get harsh with your players if morale has been good and above and they are not performing when they should be.

Morale is very very important. use team talks to keep this up and when it is up thru winning games your players WILL get complacent and if you're not careful suddenly lose agame to bottom of the league 4-0! Use "expect a win" in these situations. I was always afraid to say that before, dont be.

Talk to players individually. When u get training reports talk to those that have under performed. They will love you for it. When morale is dropping generally look for players with good form and tell them about it. Likewise if they had a bad game (under 6) tell them. Usually you will increase thier morale.

Defensive Line - check your CB's stats, are they tall good heading or pacy with good tacking? Equally important, check your opponent. If they have a star striker with high pace and acceleration banging in a goal a game consider changing your team around to play 2 big lads deep. Likewise if they have 2 man mountains - have you got someone with some pace you can bring in and push up?

Contracts. This has been said plenty of times elsewhere but be wary of clauses when negotiaitng contracts - try to avoid the 10% yearly rise if you can and check the appearence fee. Better to pay a slightly higher slary sometimes. Key players, sign on a longer deal. Default is often 1 year, make this longer for players you feel you want around for a while to avoid re negotiating. Getting a good bank balance is hard for the first couple of seasons lower down the leagues but this can help.

Anyway im sure there are thousands more tips, and im sure just as many people will disagree with mine! They have worked for me tho and i feel in control for the first time in years and no longer think the Ai cheats! I used to be certain that the AI wouldnt possibly let me go more than 6 points clear at the top and would contrive results to keep things exciting! I dont think so anymore and most if my negative "theories" have been dis-proven. Im finally enjoying some success in Football manager!

bye for now!

Archived