Game cracks your tactics

I'm sorry but I do believe the game 'cracks' your tactics. Last season I won the league and champions league. The following season I can't win an away game I've tried everything small tweaks, large tweaks new formations but nothing. I've even tried very attacking or very defensive tactics. I've watched the games but all i can see is the computer playing really attacking and putting through balls straight down the middle only for my defenders to leave a wide gap (i'm wondering if this is a progamming problem as I've noticed this in fifa 11 and pro evo) My full backs back off and just let the oppo get crosses in. I haven't got a clue what to do. I'm sure my 4-4-2 is cracked.

There has always been a huge debate on these forums as to whether the AI really cracks your tactic - not something I particularly want to get into. You have seemed to have great success with 4-4-2 something I have never mastered on any FM and have always gone with a 4-5-1 and never had any issues with the AI cracking my tactics.

Here's a personal example in my game to prove that they 'crack' it;

I put Ledley King to attack the far post in corners. He scored a handful of goals over a 3 month period, just really dangerous at set pieces and always saving my ass. Sooner or later the goals dried up, and i noticed he was being double marked at set pieces. This is as it should be. However, i'm not sure if this is the same as the op's scenario

What I'd suggest you do is make 2 backup tactics in the pre-match prep and use whichever one is most suitable to the strength of your opponent.

Basically my 3 tactic are: balanced attacking 4-4-2. home games against weaker or same strength opponents and away against far weaker opponents

rigid defensive 4-1-4-1. home and away against much stronger opponents (usually only in the CL).

fluid attacking 4-3-3. for when losing against all opponents late in the second half.

This tactic set has won me 8 SPL titles in a row 5 scottish cups and 5 league cups and has got us into the semi final of the CL twice.

Here's a personal example in my game to prove that they 'crack' it;

I put Ledley King to attack the far post in corners. He scored a handful of goals over a 3 month period, just really dangerous at set pieces and always saving my ass. Sooner or later the goals dried up, and i noticed he was being double marked at set pieces. This is as it should be. However, i'm not sure if this is the same as the op's scenario

Thats not cracking, thats the AI responding, and thats a good thing as you say. He wouldnt be ignored in real life

The ai doesnt crack your tactic, but it will attack you in a different mentaility depending your reputation and other factors. Im still using the same two tactics and they have actually become more and more effective, despite the various different approaches the AI puts out against me.

OP if you tactic falls apart that quickly, all other factor aside like morale etc, then no offence it probably wasnt a very balanced one in the first place. would like to see some screenshots of the tactic though

Just like irl your opponents are always going to change their tactics to counter yours, particularly if you've been successful.

I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is the fact I've watched the game and I can only see my players making awful mistakes or the opposition just barraging me with attacks.

I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is the fact I've watched the game and I can only see my players making awful mistakes or the opposition just barraging me with attacks.

Now you've started losing, your morale has suffered which leads to stupid mistakes (which leads to losing, etc etc)

Also, if you've been changing your system your players become unfamiliar with the tactics, which leads to stupid mistakes (etc etc)

So, you have two vicious circles. In a way, the game does crack tactics but it's only because now you're seen as a major club they are more defensive. A small change but enough.

I agree that although the AI does not 'crack' tactics it will adapt to them. If you have just won the league, then you are suddenly a team people will be wary of playing, and so will employ different tactis against you. Also, just as human managers can get scout reports that tell you about opponents strengths and weaknesses, so too will the AI, and they can use these to change their tactics accordingly to try to be as effective against you as possible.

The fact that the AI adapts to tactics is a positive part of this game, and the fact that there isnt a perfect 'use this and win every single game' tactic you can use is also positive.

I agree that although the AI does not 'crack' tactics it will adapt to them. If you have just won the league, then you are suddenly a team people will be wary of playing, and so will employ different tactis against you. Also, just as human managers can get scout reports that tell you about opponents strengths and weaknesses, so too will the AI, and they can use these to change their tactics accordingly to try to be as effective against you as possible.

The fact that the AI adapts to tactics is a positive part of this game, and the fact that there isnt a perfect 'use this and win every single game' tactic you can use is also positive.

+1 well said

Yes, if you think about it, you vary your tactics when facing weaker or tougher opposition, so why shouldn't the AI as your team proves to be more or less tough as opposition?

And when you change your 4-4-2 to 4-1-4-1 to get more defensive when playing a tough opponent, and it works, you don't sit there and think about how the other side are all upset that their rock-steady 4-4-2 didn't work, and you "cracked" their tactic, do you? On the other hand, when you try changing your tactical setup for a strong team and you still get hammered 4-1, you should try to figure out what the AI did to produce their result, in the face of your more defensive set-up.

If the AI "cracked" the tactics, you'd never do well except by having better players, because your 4-4-2 wouldn't be successful in the first place, the AI having seen what you were playing and already knowing how to beat it. ;)

Yes, if you think about it, you vary your tactics when facing weaker or tougher opposition, so why shouldn't the AI as your team proves to be more or less tough as opposition?

And when you change your 4-4-2 to 4-1-4-1 to get more defensive when playing a tough opponent, and it works, you don't sit there and think about how the other side are all upset that their rock-steady 4-4-2 didn't work, and you "cracked" their tactic, do you? On the other hand, when you try changing your tactical setup for a strong team and you still get hammered 4-1, you should try to figure out what the AI did to produce their result, in the face of your more defensive set-up.

If the AI "cracked" the tactics, you'd never do well except by having better players, because your 4-4-2 wouldn't be successful in the first place, the AI having seen what you were playing and already knowing how to beat it. ;)

I have no problem with that. But I cannot for the life of me work out exactly what the opposition are doing that is beating my team. I can't even say, well we are weak on the left as they overload that side. I can't say my midfield are too seperate from my attack as that's not the case. I will admit that they seem to be harrassing my team (which I think I would do against us) and man marking. I've tried more roaming so they can make space for themselves but that doesn't work. It's really hard to find what is wrong other than they are pushing everyone forward. I think it will take some major tweaking to get things right or to be a tactical genius and work out every little detail the oppo like to play.

I'm sorry but I do believe the game 'cracks' your tactics. Last season I won the league and champions league. The following season I can't win an away game I've tried everything small tweaks, large tweaks new formations but nothing. I've even tried very attacking or very defensive tactics. I've watched the games but all i can see is the computer playing really attacking and putting through balls straight down the middle only for my defenders to leave a wide gap (i'm wondering if this is a progamming problem as I've noticed this in fifa 11 and pro evo) My full backs back off and just let the oppo get crosses in. I haven't got a clue what to do. I'm sure my 4-4-2 is cracked.

It sounds by your own statement that you changed your own tactics. If you changed your own tactics how has the game cracked your winning one??

It sounds by your own statement that you changed your own tactics. If you changed your own tactics how has the game cracked your winning one??

I changed them because I was losing using the winning one.

To be fair it's only away from home that i'm struggling. I'm not worried about winning the league as I'd soon get bored sticking with the same tactics and winning everything I'm just worried they I'll probably never win another away game again. I know that even the best clubs change things slightly each season but I don't know what to do.

FWIW, I find that my team performs more consistently when I holiday through games. I love watching the games unfold, but it seems when I manage them myself, I'll always hit long stretches where I see a lot more instances of the AI scoring in the first five minutes, getting last minute equalizers, incredible long shots from centrebacks, etc. It may just be that my touchline instructions suck or my perceptions are crazy, but you might just try holidaying through some matches when you hit what seems like an improbable losing streak.

FWIW, I find that my team performs more consistently when I holiday through games. I love watching the games unfold, but it seems when I manage them myself, I'll always hit long stretches where I see a lot more instances of the AI scoring in the first five minutes, getting last minute equalizers, incredible long shots from centrebacks, etc. It may just be that my touchline instructions suck or my perceptions are crazy, but you might just try holidaying through some matches when you hit what seems like an improbable losing streak.

I alway seem to find that they score some incredible long range shots from 30-35 yards out. Not much you can do about that than get angry then applaud :) I'm just going to have to rebuild for next season. I do believe I'm playing to my team's strengths and not making players do stuff that they can't do.

The AI does not crack tactics.. there are a lot of users that never change their tactic and still seem to win pretty much everything. In FM10 I won the treble three times in a row with Ajax and even a 'weak' 3-5-2 formation. However, the AI clubs might change their tactics according to your success and your tactic might not work as smooth against the AI clubs' new tactic.

Yeah, they almost definitely don't do anything special to counter your tactic.

All they do is treat you differently depending on your reputation and maybe imitate other sides that have done well against you to give themselves the best chance.

AI managers always tend to use the same tactic. Mancini always does some silly tactic with 2 DMs and one up front for example. Hodgson does a 4-2-3-1.

They'll just adjust mentalities, width, tempo and defensive line. Which you should also be doing.

Yeah, they almost definitely don't do anything special to counter your tactic.

All they do is treat you differently depending on your reputation and maybe imitate other sides that have done well against you to give themselves the best chance.

AI managers always tend to use the same tactic. Mancini always does some silly tactic with 2 DMs and one up front for example. Hodgson does a 4-2-3-1.

They'll just adjust mentalities, width, tempo and defensive line. Which you should also be doing.

+1. Exactly if you are adjusting your tactics, why wont the AI?

Most people play with attacking direct tactics. with the right mentality shift (Usually to Counter), those type of tactics get horribly exposed, usually in 2nd season when your rep has gone up

I have no problem with that. But I cannot for the life of me work out exactly what the opposition are doing that is beating my team. I can't even say, well we are weak on the left as they overload that side. I can't say my midfield are too seperate from my attack as that's not the case. I will admit that they seem to be harrassing my team (which I think I would do against us) and man marking. I've tried more roaming so they can make space for themselves but that doesn't work. It's really hard to find what is wrong other than they are pushing everyone forward. I think it will take some major tweaking to get things right or to be a tactical genius and work out every little detail the oppo like to play.

Ah, here we get to the core of the matter. Yeah, to avoid having trouble you have to be very well versed in how to change things up based upon what you see going on. It may be something so simple as the fact that your players are not well-suited for the tactic you have chosen when the opposition is tending to play a more conservative defense against it.

It's a moral adaptive thing, I just won the league with ATM last season, then the next season it was all going very bad. I swapped out Italy ( cracked in European championship semifinals. ) with Spain. Applied my ATM tactics to the Spanish side. We lost 4-0 to Barcelona, and I just couldn't handle the truth, so I took my cloths and 10 staffs and left. Took a holiday until the world cup started, hadn't played one match with Spain, won the world cup with that tactic.

Oh and now I started the qualifying for the European championships, and guess what, I couldn't win over Montenegro. :p

So it's without a doubt the mental aspect of the game, how to counter it, will be the next aim.

I hope the game 'cracks' tactics... because if the AI tactics are stagnant then the game would be pointless as all hell once you figure their tactics out.

That being said I don't think the game does to the degree insinuated in this thread. The Ai simply is that strong, they're tactics are fairly simple which is only understandable because there is only so much you can code successfully.

As for a winning tactic suddenly losing... maybe the good teams capable of beating your winning tactics hadn't gelled enough and a season later they are better. Maybe they just have better players over all. Or maybe they got some different players that made them use a different tactic that breaks yours.

There is far more to consider then just your tactic and why it stopped working, there a many many variables to consider. Just sounds like people are looking at all over them because making assumptions.

Archived