One of the best regens I've had

Appeared at the start of the game at Osasuna, and I snapped him up for 1.7 million. He can play all 6 of the CM/AM positions though is naturally an AM. I'm just wondering where to play him. On the wing, as I think he's got Messi like potential, or in the hole behind the striker, where Gerrard is right now. He'd not get many games in either, as I've got Fabio Coentrao and Maxi Rodriguez on the wings, both doing fairly well, with Jovanovic and Kuyt and Babel as backups. Though Jovanovic has done nothing for me so far so I think Ivan is ahead of him now. Also, the lad scored on his debut against Man City, shame both the games he's played in he's lost(2nd was against Chelsea, lost 2-1)

14ka905.jpg

So what would you do with him? Wing, AMC? Retrain somewhere else?

(Also, before I forget, all my staff say he'll be as good as Gerrard, they've given him 4 stars potential.)

Hmm, the thing is I only play 1 striker up front and I don't like doing that with a poacher. Not to mention that he's got Lukaku, Torres and Livajan ahead of him up front. I quite fancy him as a trequartista.

Also, won't retraining him in a new position take up some PA? I want him to reach his full potential. Though if enough people think it's worth it, I'll probably do it!

Right, been playing him on the wing for now, alternating with Maxi. I'll give him the occasional game in the centre and see how he does. I might look at changing formation in a few seasons when he's a better player, and playing him on the right side of a 3 AM formation.

Um, I seem to see this player differently to some of you.

He is CLEARLY a replacement for Gerrard. Play him CM or AM if you have to.

I wouldn't play him on the wing - I see his attributes more weighted towards playing in the centre.

Hmm that's interesting point of view. I see it that speed and technique are his main strengths which are vital for a winger + he could play well either as winger or inside forward on left side. Oh well I suppose it's a question of taste. Shame I have never found such a gem like this regen :)

Do players this good even appear at the start of the game? I've never seen it happen before.

On my current save of FM2010 i found two gems in my first season. One at Spurs (17, AML, chinese name but English nationality) the other at Wolves (17, ST, English). I paid about £10m for each of them but after one year of sub appearances and then another year of first team regulars, they became England internationals and they were still in my team into their early thirties. These two were absolute beauties and in all my years of playing they were probably the two best ones I found. I did not use any programme to find them - I always get two scouts scouting the u18 leagues and found them this way.

Ha, nice one on leaving FMRTE on!

Update on my regen though, he's been playing on the left wing regularly and has been averaging over 7 and scored a couple of goals. Quite pleased with that. Put my regular left winger, Coentrao at LB, they're working well together. Did for a few games, when we had a blip, try a 3 AM formation with him on the side as a supporting inside forward, but didn't work. Still quite promising though!

I did say 'One of the best'

When I say that I'm meaning he's one of the best I've had at the age of 17. I've had truly quality regens in the past, FM2010 especially. Most of them hit their stride around the early 20's. He's already playing well at 17. A genuine wonderkid.

Definitely winger, and for the record, wingers don't really need nice crossing stats. As I manage Arsenal and use Theo Walcott as well as Chinedu Obasi, both don't have particularly impressive crossing ability but despite that, with their speed and outpacing of full backs, they often score assists or goals just because they're crossing from the byline.

Archived