Making the most of strikers

How do you make the most of your strikers?

For example, would you set a pacy striker as a poacher, advanced forward or deep-lying forward? I used Febian Brady (very fast) as a poacher on FM10 for Aberdeen with devastating effects for awhile, before the goals stopped flowing.

Pacy striker most likely as advanced forward, but it depends on other stats and also the opposition.

I would set Michael Owen as a poacher, Torres as advanced forward, Drogba as complete forward and Rooney as a deep lying forward, for example. Although the latter 3 players could probably do any of these roles.

Well I just started a game with Wolves and i want Stephen Fletcher to link the play and Ebanks-Blake to get on the end of things.

Would I set Fletcher as deep-lying and Ebanks-Blake as Advanced?

Yes that would probably work.

If you want Fletcher to put through balls in to Blake, set Blake as the target man to run on to ball, this will work against some of the teams in the prem, but some of the bigger teams will either outmuscle or outrun him

Well I just started a game with Wolves and i want Stephen Fletcher to link the play and Ebanks-Blake to get on the end of things.

Would I set Fletcher as deep-lying and Ebanks-Blake as Advanced?

Is Ebanks quick? Does Fletcher have good vision? If you want Ebanks to get on the end of through balls he has to have good off the ball movement, anticipation, positioning etc and hopefully be quick. I'm not sure Fletcher is the man to link the play but i don't know his stats either.

But yes if that is the role you wan tthem to play then those are decent settings. You could buy a target man who will win flick ons etc and Ebanks could run onto the ball.

You can't just make the call off of one stat, or even 2 stats.

Like a player who is strong isn't always a good target man, a player that is fast isn't always a good advanced forward.

For instance I have a guy with only 13 pace but he's got a 15 crossing, so my first thought was advanced forward because if he takes the ball down the wing like poachers/advanced like to do then he'll make excellent crosses. He's also got a 16 dribble so he runs with the ball really well, even though he's not the fastest guy he completely dominates the league with his skill.

On the other hand I have a guy with 15 strength, but only 9 jump... so he could be a fair target man but he's not very good in the air. He's also fast with 15 pace though and has great skill/mental, be he can't cross worth jack. So I set him to a complete forward because he has it all.

You have to look at your players in depth to know how to set them. Like for strikers the only time I look at finishing is to make sure it's not terrible, then I never look at it again. I'm looking at passing, creativity, teamwork, crossing, speed, jumping, heading, etc... my point is just because a player is a striker you can't just look at striker stats, because they are a CB you can't just look at defense stats... you have to know everything about your players to play them the proper way and in the proper system.

i usually convert to classic so dont use any of them, Its so much easier than doing all this target man/poacher and complete forward malarki. Probably due to the fact that when i sign strikers i dont know what is suited for them half the time.

Its so much easier setting 1,000,001 sliders rather than picking a role and selecting support or attack :confused:

How do you make the most of your strikers?

For example, would you set a pacy striker as a poacher, advanced forward or deep-lying forward? I used Febian Brady (very fast) as a poacher on FM10 for Aberdeen with devastating effects for awhile, before the goals stopped flowing.

haha i used to sign him as well for the dons, devastating pace!!!

Archived