Should be able to delegate more to the chairman

Ok straight to the point;

When i want to get rid of a player, i should have the option to tell the board to work at offloading him, and they should activley do this while i go about my business, so that i don't keep having to dangle him about all the time.

Same with signing players and handing out new contracts to existing players. We should have the option, because a manager in real life will ask the board for a player and they will say yes, no, maybe....but they will do the contracts and transfers themselves, because there are hardly any managers who deal with this stuff.

Of course this will vary depending on the club status/manager status, and players should have the option to be fully involved aswell in negotiations too.

Yeah, I'd agree on the signing players thing. Although I would never take up that option myself. I know full well the board would be useless in negotiations and leave me with an outrageous wage bill.

It could be workable if the transfer system was more realistic in the first place.

I think it wouldd be great if everything was the same, except the negotiations part was removed. You choose your targets and do all the scouting as before. But instead of making the offer, you tell the board to. And then same for contracts. But the system would have to chance a lot because I would NOT be happy with the AI doing in its current system.

I would love to be able to delegate a staff member to get rid of a player. However, it makes me think that these players agents must be awful if they can't get them another club. I'm still getting rid of the dross from my Notts Forest team, so it's not like they're on cushy wages and want to stay on them.

To be realistic this feature would only work one way, and that is you are told by the board that they handle transfers/contracts.

No manager in real life would say "I like my job, but I don't want to do some of it" whereas chairmen regularly say "It's my money, run the team but I'm handling transfers"

I don't think it would be realistic to be able to tell the board to do certain things that don't happen in real life.

To be realistic this feature would only work one way, and that is you are told by the board that they handle transfers/contracts.

No manager in real life would say "I like my job, but I don't want to do some of it" whereas chairmen regularly say "It's my money, run the team but I'm handling transfers"

I don't think it would be realistic to be able to tell the board to do certain things that don't happen in real life.

I don't quite understand what you mean.

In real life, Harry Redknapp, for example, does not negotiate contracts or transfer fees. Levy does that.

Did Ferguson negotiate Rooney's 180k contract? Nope.

I'm only saying that we should have the option to be hands on in the financial regard, or leave it the chairman. so it is not really delegating, but rather not being hands on. Don't know how it would logistically be implemented. It would require better AI though i think, as im not sure i'd trust my chairman, he would be handing out 130k contracts all the time.

In terms of signing players this was already added in fm 11. I've only seen it when i don't have the funds to sign a player though so that might be what its for. Its been very useful so far.

But it's only used on 'important transfers'. If i want to sign Snejider for example, the board wil ask if i want Daddy to take care of it, and they do it.

Whereas, even if i wanted to sign Pienaar, the board would let me do it, even though in real life they would handle that too

If it was implemented as an option then ok why not.

Personally I like being heavily involved in transfer negotiations. Sometimes I think I care more about my clubs finances than our AI Chairmen!

Id be worried he would pay over the odds for a player or sell a player on the cheap if I left it up to him.

I can envisage many problems with the AI on this one.

I think a lot of people underestimate how much input managers have in transfer negotiations.

FM isn't asking you to write the contract, just set some boundries.

This option would be like a Director of Football option whereby you can hand over lots of work to the DoF such as academy, signings, contracts etc.

It would then make your job more results based. All you would do is train and play. You'd be Head Coach. It's not for me, but it certainly happens in real life and as such I'm sure people would want to play the game that way.

I think a lot of people underestimate how much input managers have in transfer negotiations.

This option would be like a Director of Football option whereby you can hand over lots of work to the DoF such as academy, signings, contracts etc.

It would then make your job more results based. All you would do is train and play. You'd be Head Coach. It's not for me, but it certainly happens in real life and as such I'm sure people would want to play the game that way.

While I agree with you, I think there are a small number of things done irl that shouldn't be added to the game, and this feature is one of those.

In real life I imagine most managers leave transfer negotiating to their Chairman/Directors, but in FM I think the human manager quite enjoys having control over it.

Well it is not one size fits all. Harry Redknapp, for example, tells Daniel Levy what players he wants, and that's it. Whereas there are probably manager who are more involved.

I personally enjoy setting out the contracts, deciding how much a player is worth and so on, but there should be an option to be a Harry type or a Wenger type, who apparentley has much more autonomy over contracts(apparentley).

However, i would say this option would need to be supplemented with a greater, more in depth and immediate training feature and obviously better interaction so that we could feel a little more immersed in that aspect of managment. Also it would be pretty cool to be able to sign a Director of footy, and delegate him as the head of scouting, head of this and that. If a club already has a director of football, you can choose whether to retain his services when you get appointed. A more forceful chairman, like Berlusconi for example, would have the final say though.

And while on the subject of chairman, perhaps it is a good idea to have chairmen who make signings for you over your head, so long as that coincided with the chairmans personality(think mike ashley). It would add to the challenge of managing such a club, although we know it also happens at smaller clubs too. We all know that the manager at Milan is just a yes man.

That's a bit harsh.

Milan are doing the best they have done in the league for about 7 years. Allegri has them playing very well. OK, he doesn't have a massive say in the transfer window, but no Serie A manager does.

Yeah that's what i mean though. Nothing against Milan or Allegri, only that Robinho and Ibrahimovic, even Ronaldinho a few years ago were more Galliani signings. Not that Allegri would've said no, but it really seems difficult for a manager in serie a to have any sort of autonomy in transfers, although, it is a game and to go overboard on this would take the fun out of it.

I agree that a kind or DoF activity should be in the game and I'd like to see it in the game. Benitez doesn't do the same things that did in England, plus I don't think that your assistant should suggest new signs, this is a DoF job basically. But what will you do in the game then?

You "play" with your tactic board or will you just push the continue button.

I think its an interesting idea...but you have to question what our role in the game would be if this was the case. At the moment we are left to juggle our budget and work within a means. If you let the AI chairman do it, it would have to be really well programmed because it potentially could be a nightmare. I dont like the idea of leaving it in the hands of the AI - i like controlling what I choose to do.

Secondly - there isnt alot left for us to do - in real life the manager is on the training pitch, working with players, watching matches of opponents to prepare, and don't have time to thrash out long negotiations. As this is a game we don't get to do any of that so if contracts etc are taken away from us all we do is watch the game and identify targets!

Yes i agree, which is why i would suggest that other aspects of the game would have to be heavily supplemented. I.e- A completley renovated training/tactical/interaction system, which is more immediate, has more repurcussions and so on. So therefore, i think it would be very tricky to implement in the game.

However, i only recommend this as an option. It wouldn't be forced on you, because although that would be more 'realistic', and parralleled with real life, this is a game. I personally enjoy doing all this stuff, but i would like for my chairman to activley work at offloading the players i don't want, for example.

I don't quite understand what you mean.

In real life, Harry Redknapp, for example, does not negotiate contracts or transfer fees. Levy does that.

Did Ferguson negotiate Rooney's 180k contract? Nope.

I'm only saying that we should have the option to be hands on in the financial regard, or leave it the chairman. so it is not really delegating, but rather not being hands on. Don't know how it would logistically be implemented. It would require better AI though i think, as im not sure i'd trust my chairman, he would be handing out 130k contracts all the time.

This is correct. Only a very few managers have the mandate to buy players without going by the board, even Sir Alex, after nearly 30 yrs at United, have to ask the board for funds and permissions. This feature would add a lot more credability to the game.

I remember a version where this would happen, that the chairman bought Buffon on his own. Much like Abramovich and the Arabs.

Archived