Passing...or failing at it.

Playing as Palace and currently third in the Championship, first season, with fifteen games left. My team have been doing very well, except in one golden area. Throughout my whole season, thus far, my AssMan has consistently informed me during games that the team's passing has been poor. This will need correction, so I wondered how others in the community have bettered their team's overall passing. Training? Match instruction? Player-specific instruction?

To be honest I totally ignore that stuff from the asstman... one game my short passes are bad, the next my long, the next game player X is misplacing many of his passes... except player X has a 7+ rating and an assist or some such.

The information is pretty pointless in my experience. Just find a system you team plays well in and stick with it, only time I change my tactics are for specific opponents. I look at the asstman advance for every match but only to make sure I'm not missing a player I should close down or to see how my teams motivation before the match looks. But I'm most used to working with an assistant with a low tactical knowledge, just do that on my own for the most part.

drag down the tempo and you'll connect more passes, both short and long.

It's not always the case! If the match speed is slow the opposition will have more time to press your players and the pressure could lead to more mistakes

When looking at the team tactics, go advanced, then change the passing to more direct. Also i would judge how the team pass by your own eye and stats, the ass man isn't always right, especially as your not a big team. Also try to play a bit slower, allow players to take time over passes, as the guy up there ^ said, lower the tempo a tad.

Like I said... just need to find what works for your team because all players and teams are different.

My team works with the slow possession style play most of the time, but on occasion one will hold the ball to long and have it tackled away, if your players aren't good at keeping the ball moving or your opponents are very aggressive a slow game could hurt you. All depends on the OP's team/players to start with.

Archived