York City... Should I be proud?

I'm in my second season managing York City, first season ended up winning promotion and into L2.

But the most thing I'm actually happy about is that I have made it into the FA Cup 6th round!

1st Round: York 2-0 Bournemouth

2nd Round: York 2-1 Chelmsford

3rd Round: York 2-2 Stevenge - (REPLAY) Stevenge 2-4 York (was 2-0 at HT)

4th Round: York 1-0 Huddersfield

5th Round: Swansea 0-1 York

6th Round: West Ham ?-? York

Obviously I will be eliminated against West Ham, but have paid quite a lot of my debt with the prize money, and have gotten a lot further than I thought!

And best thing is I didnt cheat, never used any type of editor or whatever =) And tactics are all my own.

What do you guys think? And what's your best run in the FA Cup with a Lower league team?

Sounds like you are doing well! A good cup run is always a great achievement. Esepcially with a lower league club!

Currently my best cup run on FM2011 was with Havant. I was in the Blue Square South. Had a good run a got drawn to League One Plymouth in the 2nd round. I was winning until the last minute when they scored. Luckily I won the replay and got drawn at home to Middlesborough who were in the Premier League at the time. I was 1-0 up at half time but ended up losing 2-1.

Good result away at Swansea, good result to Huddersfield too - guessing Smithies was in goal.

All is not lost, West Ham away - tough tie, but they aren't likely to put out a full strangth team.

I wouldn't be tempted to play for the 0-0. They are less likely to score while you are attacking - in fact if you have the ball they cannot score.

Go for it!

I've actually got myself a descent team. All of them have come in from free transfers, and I got a really strong midfield, defence is pretty good, keepers are better than what I expected to have, but my strikers arent that good, yet I got some guy on loan from Birmingham and scored quite a few, including Will Keane from United (loan). Other than that the only 'average' striker I actually have is Marenghi.

Not sure what tactic I'll use for the Hammers game, most prolly the same I did with Swansea. 4 DF's, 3 central midfielders, 2 wide wingers and 1 striker. Narrow width, slow tempo, balanced creativity, and a counter/standard.

Cant wait. First F.M I've actually got addicted too so much. But selling players is impossible on mine, lots of interested but no bids, only 0k-1k bids for players that even are worth 50k-150k ;/

Be proud of any good cup run, no matter who the opponents are :)

FACup2010-11.png

Particularly pleasing for me on this run, was firstly the win against Crewe Alexandria. We were 2-0 down and playing poorly. A little hair-dryer treatment at half-time, a substitution and some different shouts made all the difference, with the winner coming in injury time.

Second highlight was the win away to Millwall, who were hovering between first and second spots in the Championship around the time we played them. The scoreline didn't do the result justice though, as we completely dominated them, much to my pleasure. I think Millwall's man of the match award should have gone to their crossbar! ;) Incidentally, following their cup defeat, their morale took a beating and they nose-dived in the league. They've since dropped below the play-off positions.

The draw against Crystal Palace at home was pleasing, as although they were hovering between 17th and 19th in the Championship at the time, they looked a much better team than Millwall. We were lucky to come away with the draw at home, but in the replay we were given a good old fashioned drubbing. 3-0 didn't really reflect the superiority Crystal Palace enjoyed, as it could easily have been a much higher score. My keeper performed like the illegitimate offspring hybrid of Peter Schmeichel, Dino Zoff and Gordon Banks!! Palace went on to lose away to Sunderland in the 5th Round, but have since made a huge improvement in their league form, climbing up to 11th place in the Championship.

Overall though, pleasing run from a team in the Blue Square North and a great boost to the finances, gaining nearly 600k. A little disappointed I didn't get to play a Premier League club, but there's always next year!

Archived