Is it normal to hemorraghe so much cash?

Managing Spurs, who are reasonably wealthy. They start the season with a balance of £50mill.

Now, at the tail end of the season we have a balance of 24million. I have spent 6.5mill on transfers(recouped more than that though), I am under my wage budget, and although i have given out a few contracts with million pound signing on fees, i really do mean only a few. The club are building new youth facilities however.

Now, i understand that much money is expended on player clauses, 500k here and there when a player has played a certain amount of games, but i have gotten to the Fa Cup final, and quarter finals of the champions league, always sell out my stadium.

My whole expenditure for this season is £131million, and my whole income is £139million. The relative gap between income/expenditure used to be a lot bigger.

Is this something i should be worried about or is it normal? I'm not planning major transfers in the summer, but i can't see that i'm taking the club on a steady financial decline. Cheers..

Managing Spurs, who are reasonably wealthy. They start the season with a balance of £50mill.

Now, at the tail end of the season we have a balance of 24million. I have spent 6.5mill on transfers(recouped more than that though), I am under my wage budget, and although i have given out a few contracts with million pound signing on fees, i really do mean only a few. The club are building new youth facilities however.

Now, i understand that much money is expended on player clauses, 500k here and there when a player has played a certain amount of games, but i have gotten to the Fa Cup final, and quarter finals of the champions league, always sell out my stadium.

My whole expenditure for this season is £131million, and my whole income is £139million. The relative gap between income/expenditure used to be a lot bigger.

Is this something i should be worried about or is it normal? I'm not planning major transfers in the summer, but i can't see that i'm taking the club on a steady financial decline. Cheers..

definitely need to go right through your finances to see exactly where it is all going

Tottenham own the stadium yes.

I looked through the expenditure, and my main outgoings are;

Player wages- £49mill

Non-footballing costs- £17mill

Player bought- £15 mill, which is despite me only having bought three players. A defender who i had no choice in buying(1.5mill), Pienaar for £2.5 mill plus 2mill over 18mths, and Kadlec, who is coming at the end of the season, for £5.5mill, but not all upfront. This does not equal 15million. It says in my transfer history only 6.5 million spent.

I'm guessing it is the youth facility upgrade, but to lose half of my balance is strange, no?

Player bought- £15 mill, which is despite me only having bought three players. A defender who i had no choice in buying(1.5mill), Pienaar for £2.5 mill plus 2mill over 18mths, and Kadlec, who is coming at the end of the season, for £5.5mill, but not all upfront. This does not equal 15million. It says in my transfer history only 6.5 million spent.

Did you include signing-on fees?

I would say its all completely normal.

At the end of the season you will receive a massive amount for your league finish, playing in the champions league, fa cup money (if you win it) and then you will get a large intake from season ticket sales. I bet you have £50m in bank again come September.

Agent fees may account for why the relative gap between expenditure and income was bigger previously.

I would say that it is normal to lose money through out the season.

Agent fees may account for why the relative gap between expenditure and income was bigger previously.

I would say that it is normal to lose money through out the season.

yes it's normal to lose some, but £25 million, or half of your pre season balance i'm not sure about.

I'm really stingy with club money too.

Also, i did ask for a new 60k contract.

I generally have no clue whether I'm losing money or not until after I've managed a couple of seasons with a club :) It's quite normal to get a substantial portion of your revenue during the off & pre-season period, but I'm not sure how that works for the EPL. I've never actually managed a club at that level in FM.

You will have some idea after a full season has passed when you can see the full income and expenditure over a 12-month cycle.

Ok, well i have gotten a huge amount of money back in through various means, such as tv revenue, sponsership etc, but still the balance is only £30million.

The board have decided, against my will, to expand the stadium at a cost of £21 million. I don't know if that will send me into red or what. Trying to build a youth team here, plus keep the 1st squad competitive but i'm not being given any money to spend really. I have no idea whether the board are being responsible or just silly t**ts, but hey ho just have to wait and see and sell some players to get some money, which is what Harry has to do anyway it seems!

Finances are a tricky thing in FM. You get most of your money in the summer and then can lose a lot over the course of the season, making it difficult to see how much you're actually gaining or losing. To make my life easier I usually don't bother with add-ons in transfer deals, including sell-on clauses when I buy someone. That way I know exactly how much I'm spending.

I'm playing in the Conference North and losing money hand over fist.

I only sign free transfers, offer no signing on fees, keep bonuses as low as possible, stay within the given transfer budget, so I don't worry about too much. The board has pumped 75K into the club, so it could carry on.

I find this better than previous versions, where it was way to easy to make money and get a decent bank balance. I do though have four good young players who are valued at about 150K together, so I am fearing the worst (esp. as they now all have wanted icons next to their names).

Still, the game continues to be fun.

Tottenham have a number of spread payments for transfers previously made (prior to you becoming manager) and have a lot of future clause on players such as Darren Bent. This could account for money 'dissapearing'. Look when it is not the transfer window and see what your monthly outgoings are on transfers and this will provide an indication of these costs. As Mike J suggests dont do any addons or spread payments if you really want to understand/control spending - after a couple of years the old clauses/spread payments will have finished and you will be incharge of a more stabley run club.

As MirrorrorriM said tottenham have a lot of monthly clauses for playas like modric 375k a month which if i remeber correctly latst 24 months from start of game sandro also has a monthly transfer fee for some time as well as payments of 500k here and there for players like bassongs certain amount of apperances. i tried selling my players over with a small amount upfront and the rest over 18-24 months to try balance out the outgoings for the likes of modric and sandro bassong etc

Yeah we do have a lot of spread payments on players, and quite expensivley so(500k-1m).

My balance went up to 50m due to the huge amount of cash we get given after the season ends, and then the shareholders took 13m of that! Still, i don't think i will bother worrying about it, aslong as i don't give out massive contracts and spend too much money in the market, which i cant do anyway because the board wont give me more than the 18mill i've got, soo....

As MirrorrorriM said tottenham have a lot of monthly clauses for playas like modric 375k a month which if i remeber correctly latst 24 months from start of game sandro also has a monthly transfer fee for some time as well as payments of 500k here and there for players like bassongs certain amount of apperances. i tried selling my players over with a small amount upfront and the rest over 18-24 months to try balance out the outgoings for the likes of modric and sandro bassong etc

Yeah good idea, might do that with Keane although he won't take a wage cut to leave

Archived