An idea for long term saves

I remember Nigel Clough saying that when he became manager at Burton they had a 10 year plan to get to the Football League. So here is my idea:

When being offered a job in the contract negotiations there could be an option to discuss a plan for the club. This could be broken down into a 3, 5, 10 year plan with a goal at the end e.g. Get to the Football League, Get to the Premiership, Achieve a Top 4 Premiership finish.

During the talks you could also plan each season. E.g. Season 1 - Respectable Finish, Season 2, Improve league position, Season 3, Top Half Finish etc. which you could negotiate

At the start of each season you could then be reminded you expectation.

To take the idea further you could add Chairmen personalities to it. A more patient chairman would give you small targets each season. A demanding chairman would want big steps forward or maybe not even give you the option of a long term plan as they would expect instant results.

I just thought this would make it a lot easier to stay involved in one save and wondered what everyone would think of this.

If I remember correctly, they had an option like this (though not as long as 10 year plans) in FM08. I seem to remember being told I had 3 years to be in the Premier League as Leeds in League One...

I actually thought it would have been a good idea, but they have removed it since, so maybe it wasn't received well by the FM Community...

Chairmen personalities are in the game...

Too bad all they seem to do is affecting how easily or promptly they'll fire a manager.

What the game is SORELY missing is a proper "managers migration" dynamic... Basically, unless a manager is doing really poorly, he'll get automatic renewals for life. No "Mourinho leaving on top to join another Top Club", no "Ancelotti have achieved all he could at AC Milan and both parts agreed to move on", no "you did fine, but we're looking for someone else from next July"...

Long story short, screw-ups aside, every manager has the chance to be pull a Ferguson and stay at the same club forever.

In the end that kills the point of having a nice, realistic career.

Once you've built a bit of success at a club (likely the one you started with, or the first one at a level high enough to start winning) you won't find a good reason to leave... You'll always get your contract renewd, you'll always look to build for the future, so why leaving?

Clubs and managers should, no MUST, look for different challenges after a while... so even the most successful club could just decide not to renew the contract to their manager and advertising for the job for the next season...

Also, mid-term and long-term goals would be a nice addition...

If I remember correctly, they had an option like this (though not as long as 10 year plans) in FM08. I seem to remember being told I had 3 years to be in the Premier League as Leeds in League One...

I actually thought it would have been a good idea, but they have removed it since, so maybe it wasn't received well by the FM Community...

I remember that. There are so many changes each year that I didn't notice it was taken out and then forgot all about it. It was a cool idea too, should have kept it in the game.

What the game is SORELY missing is a proper "managers migration" dynamic... Basically, unless a manager is doing really poorly, he'll get automatic renewals for life. No "Mourinho leaving on top to join another Top Club", no "Ancelotti have achieved all he could at AC Milan and both parts agreed to move on", no "you did fine, but we're looking for someone else from next July"...

Totally agree with you here.

Archived