what is " threading " option ?

Why would anybody untick it, then?

If you want to save your cores for something else, you may want to disable it.

If you enable this option, you can often hurt the performance of your other applications because they don't have a core that is "free". For example, with threading, it might put 30% load on all 4 (say) cores, but when it is disabled, you may get 100% usage of 1 core. So an application other than FM will have 4 70% cores to choose from in the first case, or 3 100% cores in the second.

Threading is a trade-off with diminishing returns - in the sense that two cores aren't twice as fast as one core - so it is more efficient to use less cores. It is, of course, slower - which is the tradeoff.

In addition, for some slow processors with lots of cores, you can render your entire system to become very unresponsive or slow if you turn this option on, because the operating system is competing for all the cores (which will be heavily-used because the processor is slow).

If you want to save your cores for something else, you may want to disable it.

If you enable this option, you can often hurt the performance of your other applications because they don't have a core that is "free". For example, with threading, it might put 30% load on all 4 (say) cores, but when it is disabled, you may get 100% usage of 1 core. So an application other than FM will have 4 70% cores to choose from in the first case, or 3 100% cores in the second.

Threading is a trade-off with diminishing returns - in the sense that two cores aren't twice as fast as one core - so it is more efficient to use less cores. It is, of course, slower - which is the tradeoff.

In addition, for some slow processors with lots of cores, you can render your entire system to become very unresponsive or slow if you turn this option on, because the operating system is competing for all the cores (which will be heavily-used because the processor is slow).

Well explained, thanks. :)

Cheers. :thup:

As an aside, most modern-day computers - even the low-end ones - will benefit from threading anyway. The only case where you will want to turn it off is where you have a slow processor or for some reason like running lots of processor-intensive applications alongside Football Manager. As a result, it wouldn't really surprise me if the threading option is hidden and "enabled by default" in future editions (maybe not FM11 though). After all, parallel computerisation is the future, and in 4-5 years we'll be having dual-processors commonplace (brave prediction) and this dual-core business will be laughed at.

in 4-5 years we'll be having dual-processors commonplace (brave prediction) and this dual-core business will be laughed at.

Aren't they already common enough. Hardly anyone has a single threaded/core CPU.

BTW nice bit of explanation.

Why does FM hang forever when it quits? I save it, hit quit and it hangs long enough to resave about eight times.

Also, why does the sound keep taking it upon itself to turn itself off?

And why when I quit does it turn the media centre on? Do SI have a cunning deal with the media centre people?

Can you tell all this has been irritating me slightly?

When anything memory intensive quits, lots of swapping takes place(Copying of data from pagefile to RAM). This happens more with less RAM.

EDIT : Looks like you edited the media center part. Well it doesn't happen with me.

Aren't they already common enough. Hardly anyone has a single threaded/core CPU.

BTW nice bit of explanation.

Personally, I don't think they're commonplace enough. If you assume the average lifespan of a PC is 4 years, then 4 years ago Intel had released the Core 2 Duo as its upper-end specification processor. So my guess is that there are still quite a few (now-)low-end multi-core processors out there for now, and many processors with one core.

We are, of course, getting there fairly quickly.

Archived