Why didn't i speak english ?

come on.

now we've reached to the new low of generalization ?

the fact that the manager using the game in one language interface, either it be english or spanish or russian; should be interpreted that the manager (ONE person, not the whole nation) speaks that said one language.

in fact, i don't think it is that hard to implement to the game, that the human manager speak the language of current interface language.

I think it's stupid too. Whenever I create myself as a manager, I set my nationality to American and I automatically speak English and Spanish. Realistically, I hardly know any Spanish and a more realistic profile would have my languages as English and German (Basic). I really wish that there was some control over what languages you can speak without choosing a second nationality. I mean, if I'm American, it's fairly obvious that I speak English so that's fine, but there should be some sort of option to be able to set second and maybe even third languages, as it's just silly to make me able to speak Spanish from the start, especially when I know more German and, hell, more Basque than I do Spanish.

come on.

now we've reached to the new low of generalization ?

the fact that the manager using the game in one language interface, either it be english or spanish or russian; should be interpreted that the manager (ONE person, not the whole nation) speaks that said one language.

in fact, i don't think it is that hard to implement to the game, that the human manager speak the language of current interface language.

it is obviously based on the fact that you have chosen a nationality that doesnt have english as its first language and you are managing in a country that doesnt either, i am assuming by "that the human manager speak the language of current interface language" you are saying that because you play the game in english it should recognise that you can read/speak english?

"now we've reached to the new low of generalization ?" - I will happily admit i am no language expert, but according to the official indonesian travel website, there are 36 languages in total spoken throughout indonesia, not one of them english, and from the itallian travel board there are 7 in italy, not one english, why would the game put it in?

I think it's stupid too. Whenever I create myself as a manager, I set my nationality to American and I automatically speak English and Spanish. Realistically, I hardly know any Spanish and a more realistic profile would have my languages as English and German (Basic). I really wish that there was some control over what languages you can speak without choosing a second nationality. I mean, if I'm American, it's fairly obvious that I speak English so that's fine, but there should be some sort of option to be able to set second and maybe even third languages, as it's just silly to make me able to speak Spanish from the start, especially when I know more German and, hell, more Basque than I do Spanish.

i completely agree that you should be able to choose what language you speak, i just dont think that the game is wrong to base it on what language you have it set to be in

i completely agree that you should be able to choose what language you speak, i just dont think that the game is wrong to base it on what language you have it set to be in

Agreed- I often create fictional managers of other nationalities and I don't expect them to be able to speak English just because the game is set to English.

Being able to implement an option for spoken languages would be easy. Hell, FIFA Manager already has it!

it is obviously based on the fact that you have chosen a nationality that doesnt have english as its first language and you are managing in a country that doesnt either, i am assuming by "that the human manager speak the language of current interface language" you are saying that because you play the game in english it should recognise that you can read/speak english?

yes.

i think it will be a logical addition to the game.

"now we've reached to the new low of generalization ?" - I will happily admit i am no language expert, but according to the official indonesian travel website, there are 36 languages in total spoken throughout indonesia, not one of them english, and from the itallian travel board there are 7 in italy, not one english, why would the game put it in?

ah, sorry.

i merely reply to rather plain post

but the manager isn't english/american/etc...

not you.

and btw, surely there are citizens that speak english or chinese or gibeerish from a country that formally don't speak english or chinese or gibeerish ;) don't you agree ?

and btw, surely there are citizens that speak english or chinese or gibeerish from a country that formally don't speak english or chinese or gibeerish ;) don't you agree ?

100% agree, as said really you should be able to choose languages that you speak, id also maybe like it a bit more in depth, i speak fluent catalan but have to have spanish as a language even though i dont speak it, would be like ArranoBeltza having to put spanish instead of Basque

yes.

i think it will be a logical addition to the game.

I don't think it's logical do base the manager's spoken languages on the selected language for the game. What if I want to create a fake manager who is Russian, but don't want him to be able to speak English? Then, forcing him to know English just because that's the language that I play the game in is almost as illogical as the game making my American manager fluent in Spanish just because I'm American. As I've said, I think you should be able to choose second/third languages when creating your profile.

I'm not sure, for example I would give the OP basic english, he isn't fluent.

Languages have to be in relation to the nationality of the manager.

It would be nice if you could pick as many as possible but I guess SI think that people will cheat by adding loads of languages - but that's their perogative.

OP- I don't agree with you at all. You chose to be Indonesian/Italian therefore you get those languages.

I do however believe that we should have more choice over our 'character' at the beginning. Although I am English (and by chosing so, get only English as a language) I can speak very good Spanish and Swedish, so surely i should be able to select those? As mentioned above, some would abuse this but others like me wouldn't and if someone does abuse it then it doesn't affect me so who cares.

OP- I don't agree with you at all. You chose to be Indonesian/Italian therefore you get those languages.

I do however believe that we should have more choice over our 'character' at the beginning. Although I am English (and by chosing so, get only English as a language) I can speak very good Spanish and Swedish, so surely i should be able to select those? As mentioned above, some would abuse this but others like me wouldn't and if someone does abuse it then it doesn't affect me so who cares.

You speak spanish and swedish edgar ???

well i never ;)

Personally i have no idea why all east europeans automatically is set to speak russian.. 20 years ago maybe.. but now..

well think of it like this, no matter what your birthdate is in-game there is a minimum age requirement which i do believe is about 25. so if you did choose to be from a former soviet country chances are you'd have had at least five years of russian amongst other languages

personally i don't really mind the language part because you do learn to speak the language of the country your managing after a little while. I've started as many great figures in history (including the likes of Adolf Hitler and Oda Nobunaga) so i'd have to sit through press conferences where they criticise the language i speak but that allowed me to discover what is probably the only humerous press conference line i have seen (its the middle one when they asked do you see a problem with not speaking the language)

I take the point the OP is making but I have to agree with those saying our languages should be set by your 'in game' nationallity and not the interface language. We defintely need to have more input when creating our profile though, particualry with languages.

Many people speak more than 2 languages, and we shouldn't have to set multiple nationallities to acheive this in game

It would be nice if you could pick as many as possible but I guess SI think that people will cheat by adding loads of languages - but that's their perogative.

would be pretty easy to stop, just limit it to letting people only choose 2 languages to start with and then they can only 'learn' more by managing in the country like it is now

these issues couldn't offer that much importance in the game, i wish if there are more important details for tours, training & scouting to be added in the game ..

they could, for example, if you were managing in england, but you could speak german as well as english, a german team job came up, it would count in your favour as you can speak the language, could also help players settle if they speak the same language as you

Yeah, this language thing has been brought up before (not the OP one, but the ability to choose your languages). Game says I know English, French, Cantonese, and Chinese (what I consider Mandarin), but IRL I only know English, Cantonese, Chinese, Korean (horribly basic though :p).

Would be nice to choose our languages in a future FM version, without abusing the function of course.

I'm not sure, for example I would give the OP basic english, he isn't fluent.

Languages have to be in relation to the nationality of the manager.

I think your primary language should be set based on the home country you choose for your manager (or an option if there are multiple primary languages for the country), and then you should be allowed to choose 1-2 other languages, to put a limit on it. IIRC, in FIFA Manager if I chose American, for example, I would know English, then could choose up to two other languages with the second being lesser-known than the first two (it may have only been one language extra could be chosen, but the point is that there was some control over it).

Once again, it makes no sense for me personally to create myself as a manager and then have my languages set to English and Spanish. As I've said, I know more German than Spanish, so if I could I would set my languages to English and German (basic). In FIFAM, I would set my languages to English and German (no basic option in that game), and if I were managing in England, German players would settle easier in my team and would be more likely to come- I think it also had some effect on job offers and such as well.

Archived