Finding Regens?

Lots of scouts continually scouting nations/continents.

Also browse around foreign countries national u21's and lower age groups. I've found a couple of gems, one from Nigeria the other Swedish i think from the u21 and u19's repectively, both didn't have a club so snapped them up on a free.

It is possible to use the player search screen and use age filters and include the option to see their last club on the screen. So any released youngsters who were with a bigger club could have good potential.

That screen isn't a cheat as it'll only show up players from countries your club has scouting knowledge of.

Twice a year, once in January and once in July, when the regens a generated take a look and sweep through the world, in January in those countries that generate regens in January like in the Americas the ex soviet countries and in Scandinavia and Ireland and some African countries etc and in July in Europe.

You have to do it manually a lot, since even if your scouts have knowledge of a particular region they might miss a good regen without a club or in some small club since the regens have generally very low reputation. You have to be very quick when it comes to picking up regens because if you wait for half a season their reputation will go up and some big club will poach them.

For me is this part one of the most interesting, finding regens and making them players, but it takes a lot of time to search.

Simplified search would be to sweep through Brazil and Argentina every year since there is almost always a good regen from there.

Obviously scout a lot of countries, then create a custom view for the player search and include all attributes that you would want in a good regen. I have maybe 15 columns with attributes. I then check the profiles of those who have the most stats > 15.

Well, some people are very restrictive at what you can do in FM and it might be so that for some it would be "unrealistic" to use the method that I use but twice a year I myself take the role of a scout. This is not so contradictory, I know it for a fact that IRL, the manager of the team I support, FC Partizan Belgrade will go to South America now in January to take a look at some players that our scouts recommended after their visit in South America in October. So scouting as a manager is not so "unrealistic" it depends on what kind of manager you are.

Every July and January I save a shortlist with all the players that are known to me, I then match the July 2010 shortlist to the January 2011 search. All youngsters that are not included in my known players (the ones that are not going to be with yellow letters) are then scouted, after the search I then update the saved shortlist to include the new players and then I match that new shortlist to the search in July 2011 and so on and on.

I go through the clubs team squads, sort the team squads by age and I ask my scouts to give me reports on the youngsters, I don’t go through and look at every player myself if the scout gives 3 or more stars of recommendation for a certain player then I take a look at the stats but otherwise I just get the scout reports. As I said, this is time consuming but it’s not a big deal for me.

Scout, click around clubs, have a look.

I generally check River Plate and Boca Juniors once a year, to see if I can unearth the new Argentian players. I do the same for all the top clubs in Brazil as well as periodically checking the Russian clubs and teams like Shakhtar, Kiev, Minsk as a lot of Brazillians end up there.

I play in the EPL though, and if you are looking for LL players, my advice would be totally different.

I look extensively through Africa myself each year, as I'm on a very restricted budget with a Croatian club. I just go through the main footballing nations (Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast, South Africa, etc) and click the 'Clubs' tab on each nation to see a list of their clubs, then go through each one having a quick glance over all the players using my custom view. It has all the stuff you'd be interested in when looking at youngsters (Age, Value, then the main technical/mental/physical attributes). The best thing about these guys is they're very willing to move and can be picked up for barely a couple hundred thousand $, often even under $10k.

I appreciate that this is rather unrealistic, especially as I have attribute masking disabled, but it's the part of the game that I find most enjoyable so I'd never think to change my ways :)

In January I look at the major clubs in Africa (via the "world" tab). Click on all the teams and look at their youngsters. Once I bought a Nigerian for £1k and he became a stalwart in my title winning side for years. Good old FM07

I don't know if this is brought up already but another good (if a mite slower) way is, if you have the scouts, scout all the major countries' underage leagues. You will see a lot of good up and coming players who are not getting into national teams. But you need to build up a strong network to do this.

Archived