Refs and 'playing an advantage'

Quote from wikipedia:

"Rather than stopping play, the referee may allow play to continue if doing so will benefit the team against which an offence has been committed. This is known as "playing an advantage". The referee may "call back" play and penalise the original offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue within a short period, typically taken to be four to five seconds. Even if an offence is not penalised due to advantage being played, the offender may still be sanctioned for misconduct at the next stoppage of play."

I have some doubts that this might not be included in the FM11 ME (as I don't recall ever seeing it happen). But if it really is missing from the ME, could it be worked on in the upcoming patches or does it need more work (so maybe included in FM12).

-SnUrF

I have seen this on occasion, though the commentary does not reference it AFAICT. For example, the other day one of my midfielders played a pass and was clearly tripped, but the ball had moved to one of my forwards, so no foul was given.

SCIAG, you stated you've seen this 'on occasion', but I'm not quite yet convinced as if it only happens 'on occasion', then one might be temted to question if the ref simply missed the foul. Maybe if you or someone else had seen perhaps a caution after such incident I would be convinced that the rule of 'playing an advantage' was included in the current ME.

But anyways thank you for the quick reply.

-SnUrF

E: Also it seem that IRL it happens more than just occasionally, in my perception it happens quite few times in a single match, altho it does differ from match to match, but still it seems it happens quite rarely in FM11, if ever (as I personally see it).

SCIAG, you stated you've seen this 'on occasion', but I'm not quite yet convinced as if it only happens 'on occasion', then one might be temted to question if the ref simply missed the foul. Maybe if you or someone else had seen perhaps a caution after such incident I would be convinced that the rule of 'playing an advantage' was included in the current ME.

But anyways thank you for the quick reply.

-SnUrF

E: Also it seem that IRL it happens more than just occasionally, in my perception it happens quite few times in a single match, altho it does differ from match to match, but still it seems it happens quite rarely in FM11, if ever (as I personally see it).

Keep an eye on the ref when tackles come in. If advantage is played, you'll see the ref hold his hands out in front of him though, as SCIAG said, this fact isn't referenced in the commentary so is quite easy to miss. It does happen, but you've got to watch for it to actually be aware of it :)

However, playing advantage and then cautioning a player after the fact is, as far as I'm aware, not in the game.

Archived