The Brazilian Conundrum

I find it very easy to find 14-15 year old Brazilian wonder kids who can be snapped up fairly cheaply. The problem is, as they don't arrive until they are 18, I often then find young European players in the meantime who are sometimes just as good or better, sometimes not as good but can be signed straight away and thus trained by me for the first few crucial years of development. The upshot of this is, a few years into the game I find myself with too many wonderkids, with the Brazilian players often under-developed by the AI when they finally arrive. I like having an element of Brazilian flair, but I just can't seem to get the balance of wonderkids right at the moment.

My question is, how do you guys go about signing Brazilian youngsters? Do you snap them up immediately, or wait until they are nearly 18 so that you know you need them/can give them the game time when they arrive?

• SI Staff

I snap them up as soon as possible as their value usually increases and I would rather get them on the cheap. I too have too many players coming in from South America but it's hard to resist signing them when you can.

I snap them up as soon as possible as their value usually increases and I would rather get them on the cheap. I too have too many players coming in from South America but it's hard to resist signing them when you can.

exactly the same as me, Especially when i know im destined to make a profit if ithere not up to scratch considering i signed them so cheap

I'll try to get them as early as possible too, but one thing I've never quite got to grips with...

When I spot Brazilian youngsters who have an additional and European nationality, how come I can't get around the 18 years of age restriction, if they're also of a nationality with more freedom of movement pre-18?

Does their 1st nationality always govern the inflexibility of this ruling?

I'll try to get them as early as possible too, but one thing I've never quite got to grips with...

When I spot Brazilian youngsters who have an additional and European nationality, how come I can't get around the 18 years of age restriction, if they're also of a nationality with more freedom of movement pre-18?

Yes. Fabio and Rafael are prime examples.

However, I think you're thinking of it in the wrong way- iirc you can't sign for a team in the EU, from a team outside of the EU, before 18.

I'm just like Ter.

It's not their nationality but their country of residence that counts.

Yes. Fabio and Rafael are prime examples.

However, I think you're thinking of it in the wrong way- iirc you can't sign for a team in the EU, from a team outside of the EU, before 18.

I'm just like Ter.

Wouldn't be the first time I've got things muddled! ;)

I'm sure I've tried to sign free agents from outside the EU though, who are under 18, thus not tied to any club, yet their movement is still restricted. If they're tied to a club, I could understand, but when they're a free agent, just always seemed a little strange.

I suspect it's more to do with being attached to a Brazilian team than the player's nationality, but I'm not sure. If your youth academy happens to find and recruit a brazilian youngster, I'm sure he can play for you from 14-15 yrs old itself.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the above post before posting this. :p

I tend to wait until they are 17 and in the meanwhile, I send my scouts to give me game reports on him. Its very rare though that I find one before that age since i play with attribute masking so its up to my scout to find them in the first place. If he recommends me one, I send him to scout for a couple games till i get a full report on him. I then wait till he's 17 to buy him since he will probably join me in January which isn't that big of a loss :)

But I have a tendency of signing too many AMC wonderkids... and I'm left having to pick out of 5 which one i want to keep and the other 4 get loaned out and eventually sold. I wish I found wingers rather than amc... :p

How do I sign young Brazilian players? Playing in N2, I always get work permit rejected. Is this option only available for Premier League Clubs.

I've found a few gems during the years who were willing to sign for me, but I get a rejection of work permit, and no option to wait until they are 18...

Archived