A couple of questions before I start a long save

I'm about to start up my first long FM game for about 3 years. By long, I doubt it will be 10-20 years like you guys seem to. I've barely gone past 3 before. I have a pretty powerful computer (i7 950 running at 4 GHz and 6 GB 1600 MHz DDR 3 memory) and given I probably won't have a massive career, I'm not worried about loading lots of leagues and players. I also tend to watch videos and browse the web on my second computer simultaneously so long load times don't bother me too much.

I want to start of with a low team, likely in the lowest English division. From memory, there would be a fair few grey players in the teams and I'd like to get rid of them. Is there a way to do that?

Also what players do you guys normally load from? Is it worth checking 'load all players' from countries which you are already running all divisions from? I was thinking I'd load them from football powerhouses like Brazil and Argentina as they supposedly provide good regens but I'll probably load those leagues so there may not be any point.

Also, what about view-only leagues? If you never at all manage in that league, then is there any difference between a league being fully playable and view only? I generally like to load a lot of leagues because I like the feel of a large soccer world. I also like a lot of options to possibly manage in. I know that I'll likely not manage in most of them but that doesn't bother me too much. I also like to have lots of players to find. Here is a list of the leagues that I plan to load as playable:

South Africa (it's the only African league so I'd like to have it)

Australia (I'm Australian)

China

South Korea

England

Portugal

Spain

Belgium

France

Russia

Switzerland

Germany

Italy

Scotland

Turkey

Croatia

Greece

Czech Republic

Holland

Denmark

Mexico

USA

Argentina

Chile

Brazil

Am I missing any important leagues there? Would it be totally unwise to load up additional leagues (heck maybe even all of them?) as view only or would that just murder the performance?

Thanks for the help guys. I just want to make sure I get this right because I want to give this version of the game a good shot and I can't change these things after I start.

Even though you have a fast processor, it still might be better to go for a huge number of players and less active leagues. If you're not going to manage outside Europe you could go for load all players from Brazil/Argentina/China etc. You'll still get all the regens. you could put leagues that aren't likely to provide European powerhouses on view-only too, which cuts down on some processing.

If it's mainly loads of players and staff to plough through that you want, use custom database and load all players based in/from a bunch of nations. Do that for england and all the lower league sides will have full squads (many will be teenage regens but not grays). Also tick 'load key staff' to give all clubs managers and coaches.

Archived