Absolutely Pointless

I've never ever been so disappointed with a game in all my life. This game is so poor it is stupid.

I will probably get slatted for being "poor" but then the ones suggest I am poor are quite frankly stupid themselves.

How can 2 of my saves go sour so quickly? One of which I was high up the table, my tactics have worked a treat then bang out of no where I can't buy a win for love nor money, a switch back to basic didn't help and I slowly fell down the table regardless of what I tried.

On the second game, I'm using my tried and tested (very successful) tactics which I've used on previous FM models. Yet almost every time I score first to go on and lose by 2,3 sometimes 4 goals! I've got a good pacey defence with a decent keeper, a strong balance midfield and 2 outstanding strikers for the league i'm in.

Im running out of idea how can every go from one extreme to the other and not change back for anything.

:/

so tell me, who's in your team?, what kind of tactic are you trying to play? what kind of goals do you concede?

its somewhat dubtful you will get any help by just blaming the game instead of providing any information on your team or tactic

First Save is Sheffield United (my local side)... GK: Alex Smithies RB Rincon CB: Craig Dawson CB: Winston Reid LB: Stephen Jordan/Danny Fox MR: Alexander Hleb ML: Donal McDermott/Michael Kightly MC: Anthony Pilkington MC: Sunny FW: Ched Evans FW: Billy Sharp

4-4-2... which goes to 4-4-2 to create attacking options, short passing, quick tempo and man marking. This tactic got me up to 3rd for a while then suddenly stopped working.

Second Save is Rotherham..... GK: Dean Brill RB: David McNamee CB: Ryan Creswell CB: Alexis Ghabrian LB: Joe Keenan MR: Nicky Law/Josh McQuoid ML: Joseph Mills MC: Shane Williams MC: Michal Dolinajac FW: Gary Madine FW: Adam Le Fondre

Again similar tactics to the other save except i'm playing wider football and have Madine as a target man.

Both worked a treat for ages then stopped, also they were very successful on previous FM version winning me numerous titles.

Just because a tactic works on an older fm doesn't mean it will be as effective on a newer version. Having said that morlae can make things very difficult, if your players morale has dropped for some reason it can cause you to spiral into some poor form. It should be fixed with the next patch, hopefully.

It has also worked rather for me on 11 for majority of the season then suddenly stopped... I was playing very well up near the top and all sudden bang couldn't buy a win for love nor money

@ Wiitastic... Of course I change my tactics. within reason of course. I don't play the same thing all the time that would be silly

It has also worked rather for me on 11 for majority of the season then suddenly stopped... I was playing very well up near the top and all sudden bang couldn't buy a win for love nor money

@ Wiitastic... Of course I change my tactics. within reason of course. I don't play the same thing all the time that would be silly

silly you say ? i've used the standard 442 that came with the game for FM2010 & FM2011 and this game i've won 4 EPL titles in a row. and i'm just finishing my 4th season now in FM2011.

I keep my tactics similar till I hit a bump in the road, at which I make a small change and it usually works.

For my second save, I've easily got the best squad. Im using the formation suggest by the backroom staff with a few alterations and I just can't get the goals... I'm expected to finish first and im 23rd on this save. Madine is top scorer in league 2 yet his goals aren't enough and Le Fondre is out injured..

The first save where ive noticed the things ive mentioned above the most and I can't go higher than 6th, ill fall to 11th go back to 6th fall back to 11th

its a cycle it just wont come out of...

Amazingly, tactics and strategy have to be modified depending upon all sorts of things. Even the general weather pattern can affect results. I usually play a very controlled passing game, but often have to dump that for a somewhat more direct, up tempo game in the bad weather of deep winter. And of course that can force me to change the formation, the roles of the players in that formation, even the actual lineup of regular starters and subs.

I think very few people will be successful this year with "set and forget" tactics and lineups. Which, of course, is as it should be.

Best suggestion? If you see nothing is going your way the whole game and you're down. Try a calculated change in tactics and formation.

Recently, I've been playing with Argentina and won the Copa America easily, but the first qualifying game for the world cup, i lost to venezula 2-0. This lowered my whole teams moral, so I expected a tough time next game. Against Colombia, i was 1-1 all the way till 80th minute. Switched from a 4213 to a 4222 box and went all out. Got my last goal in the 90th minute :)

Its all in the team talks but sometimes, the opposition also gets their team talks right and its THESE games that matter the most and are the toughest, no matter if its Barcelona, or Stoke. Its all about the performance on the day. Doesn't matter if your 11 are "considered" better, they all underperform at times.

I have 3 tactics set up to fill the match prep slots. Home 4231 att away 42321 def and a 433 all out direct attack. I find switching between my first two tactics throughout the season is good enough to keep it fresh.

If things start going flat and I stop winning sometimes I find deleting all my tactics and starting again works as little tweaks I've made throughout the season can change my original model quite a bit.

Also one big thing I found made a huge difference was match preperation. I forgot about mine and had it set to attacking movement for months. All of a sudden I kept losing games 4-3 or 3-2 or drawing 3-3. Suddenly remembered about it and set to defensive movement and voilà! Started winning again.

Not played FM2011 yet - getting it for xmas. However, i have used the same 442 modified tactic for the last 4 versions of the game and I am always succesful. You do not have to change your tactics to suit the opponents etc. I never do - I use the same one home and away. However, I do make sure the only players that I buy fit in this formation and this is why I am succesful.

The way I look at it is that I play to my strengths not to the other teams weaknesses. This way I do not need to constantly change my tactics.

It works for me and I will stick with it on FM2011 as well.

Evening guys... I thought I would update you.

I've started a season with sheff utd again... to see how well I could cope on £0 budget. So far I'm doing bad, after selling one player for around £1m ive brought in Lee Novak and James Brown. Keith Fahey was offered to me for £0, so got him and joe martin for nothing.

I revised my tactics and so far they seem to be working pretty. As I currently sit 2nd unbeaten after about 7th games and into the 3rd of the league cup where I face Man City.

I suppose patience and tinkering was the answer

Ash

EDIT: SO much so that my minnows came back from 2-0 down to beat Man City 3-2 with a penalty in added time (97min after 6mins added) Im well pleased :D

Archived