Will Queen's Park Ever Turn Professional?

Now, IRL the Scottish club Queen's Park most likely will never give up their tradition and will remain amateur indefinately - but what about in the game? I've had them promoted to the Premier League and no change in their professionality status (amateur). Is this set in stone, or is there a possibility they will become professional at some point in the future?

Basically I can't be arsed to continue the save if I have no wage or transfer budget, players train part time and contracts are unprotected every year Jan/Feb and after if them footballers don't sign new contracts. Curiously I have been the only full time employee after I first signed extention to my manager contract.

I know that in england when a team gets promoted from the conference to league 2 they normally change their status, probably if you survive for a season or so then maybe they will change their status but im not sure though, hope this helped icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by duccio:

Now, IRL the Scottish club Queen's Park most likely will never give up their tradition and will remain amateur indefinately - but what about in the game? I've had them promoted to the Premier League and no change in their professionality status (amateur). Is this set in stone, or is there a possibility they will become professional at some point in the future?

Basically I can't be arsed to continue the save if I have no wage or transfer budget, players train part time and contracts are unprotected every year Jan/Feb and after if them footballers don't sign new contracts. Curiously I have been the only full time employee after I first signed extention to my manager contract.

It's probably written into the game that they will always stay amateur. Wouldn't be realistic otherwise icon_smile.gif

they wont be full time ever unless they make first divison ive heard talk about them wanting to go full time but they have lost most of there good players

and im sad to see trouton go he was our best player not to worry wel be fighting for relegation again this season

To the OP, someone posted a challenge in the challenges forum to win the CL with Queens Park or something not so long ago. I argued it was impossible as they can't turn pro. I reckon this just about proves it.

If you really want to know, you could save where you are, stick it on holiday for a while and see if anything changes? That said if you're not in charge they'll probably just get relegated.

Good effort in getting them that far, btw. Well played.

Originally posted by daemonic:

The other trigger for going pro in the game, other than reaching a certain league, is 5m in the back at the end of the season. If you achieve that and don't go pro then its safe to say its hard coded in.

Having over £5m in the bank doesn't affect Queens Park. When I managed them, I made £15m. Mostly because off getting into the Prem, but I also couldn't spend any off the money I was making because the only people that would accept part time contracts were free players. Was most disappointing.

I ended up giving up on the game when I found out that they could never go professional. You could hardly do anything with them. So I quit and took Elgin to the Prem the fight for the title. icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

I don't think Queen's Park can turn professional in the game which is as per their traditions in real life.

It's possible that if they were to get to the SPL in real life then they might have to or something but until it happens (not likely) then it will stay as it is in the game.

If I ever see them turn professional it will be an absolute travesty. It would be the dumbest thing to happen in this game, as unlike seeing France getting hammered 25-0 by San Marino (which might happen) Queen's Park becoming Professional, or even Semi-Professional won't

Originally posted by Ter:

I don't think Queen's Park can turn professional in the game which is as per their traditions in real life.

It's possible that if they were to get to the SPL in real life then they might have to or something but until it happens (not likely) then it will stay as it is in the game.

Surely it will be possible that in FM'09, if a club is promoted to the top league in their nation they will automatically be changed to full-time(if not alerady), as they would need to be in real life.

Originally posted by Iain_smith:

Surely it will be possible that in FM'09, if a club is promoted to the top league in their nation they will automatically be changed to full-time(if not alerady), as they would need to be in real life.

In one word.... no

In more than one word... Not even if they were to get to the SPL, as although doubtful, Queen's Park have special disposition in the Football of Scotland, as they are the only Amateur side in the Scottish League. You have to be semi-professional at least to enter the Scottish League. Queen's Park don't.

It is their reward for me one of, if not the most important Football Club in the history of the game.

I guess it has been settled then - Queen's Park will not be going full time. Interesting exception, but it makes aiming to the top practically impossible. Certainly it should be the way it is, in the game as it is IRL, but if there is any truth to what RabEss_1879 said about Queen's Park flirting with the thouth of professionality should the club reach the 1st division, in theory that is only 1 year away, it should be reflected in the game aswell.

Originally posted by amplifierworship:

What kind of attendance do you get now you're in the Premier League?

Only played a few games in the Premier. Here are the attendances at Hampden Park:

5567 v Aberdeen

36966 v Rangers

If they go pro or even semi pro ever, they will go bankrupt. The SFA, SFL and the SPL would be forced to pull out of Hampden, SportScotland would stop their funding, and their creditors would call in their huge loan.

No chance will Queen's go back in over 120 years of history, they had the chance to be the greatest club in the world when football went pro... they gave it up then and there would be no Spiders if they didn't again

Maybe they would go bankrupt if the went professional now. In his post Benjamin Williams however said he had made £15M before he quit Queen's Park. £15M is almost twice the debt the Spiders have in the game. Maybe the treshold for professionality for the Queen's could be put to £15M or some larger sum just to please the unprincipled football romatics playing the game? icon_smile.gif

Making money in the FM world is much easier than IRL (Online clan I'm in proves this with most SD3 clubs having £500K+ transfer pots)

As for the issue of Queens Park, the club is about more than just success on the field.

Originally posted by Barside:

As for the issue of Queens Park, the club is about more than just success on the field.

Are there football clubs that do not purport to be about more than just the success they may achieve on the field. It's just that the "more" part is all Queen's Park have left. icon_wink.gif

"ludere causa ludendi" - or in English, "to play for the sake of the game" is all you need to know about Queen's Park.

Although if you want to know, or think you know the history of football you must know about Queen's Park.

Yes I know about Queen's Park. In the past I have even written about them and their history in a small website/blog kind of thingy I have. No need for your patronizing attitude.

To play for the sake of playing - just like young lads in a park (shirts for goalposts). Also the reason why no one is watching the lads play.

Originally posted by duccio:

Yes I know about Queen's Park. In the past I have even written about them and their history in a small website/blog kind of thingy I have. No need for your patronizing attitude.

To play for the sake of playing - just like young lads in a park (shirts for goalposts). Also the reason why no one is watching the lads play.

I doubt that was directed at you, rather at people higher up the thread, unless I read it wrong.

Originally posted by pelicanstuff:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by duccio:

I doubt that was directed at you, rather at people higher up the thread, unless I read it wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thouth it may have been directed at me, since I hinted earlier that SI might want to reconsider their stance on Queen's Park's status as a permanently amateur club.

I didn't mean to sound to grumpy. icon_cool.gif

It is possible to change their status to professional in the editor so I would imagine that if they do this irl then their status would change accordingly. To test this i swapped them with Motherwell and changed their status in the editor beforehand. Once I started a new game they remained professional.

I don't like to use save editors, so I was thinkin I'd begin a new game after making Queen's Park semi-professional (like they wewre presented in earlier Football Manager games) with the pre-game editor. But would they then remain semi-professional? I decided to go all the way: new rich chairman, no debt and and status: professional.

One can always imagine...

Archived