Tactics - Classic vs Wizard/Touchline shouts.

Been a long term player of FM2008 but took the plunge with FM2011 and overall I’m very impressed! Done a season and a bit with Sheff. Wed before getting the sack and so here I am stuck at the bottom of the conference with Forest Green.

I’ve always been a typical 4-4-2 manager and never really used any of the other formations as I’m unsure of the different slide levels to be used when using these others – have no problems with 4-4-2 as I understand the best way to get the most of it (more or less) but with FM2011 (and indeed FM2010 which I didn’t have), has seen the introduction of real life requests you can forward to your players aka Touchline shouts and with the wizard it seems I could theoretically setup a formation (no matter my understanding of the intricacies of more continental formations) and request how I want them to play.

But I have to ask...does this make the game easier? Is it theoretically FM for dummies? Or is it more a case of making the game easier to setup but with the game still being difficult to master and more than that, gives you much more greater control and for the first time ever perhaps, it allows you to speak to the players as if they’re real people.

Looking at it on the surface it seems a wonderful addition to the game and I believe (or rather hope) that it does give you the ability to setup any formation (greater control) but still makes the game difficult to master (as before). As mentioned I’ve always been a 4-4-2 player but when taking over teams, necessity requires understanding of other formations and so if this tactic wizard is the answer to my prayers then Im starting a new game pronto!

I'd hate to use the new way though and my players do exactly as I request as if they'r robots because as we all know, things rarely go to plan and requires you to tweak things accordingly (which is where the in-game touchline shouts would come in i imagine)

Looking at it, it seems that this goes back to the CM1 way where you requested your players to play Long Ball, Passing etc. but with obviously 1,000x more depth.

Would be interested to hear peoples thoughts though if possible on Classic tactics vs the new way.

Archived