Two "Football Manager" unathorized payments inthe past two months--what the hell???

Hey,

In the 1st of November, I got charged $8.27, the description said (Visa purchase Football manager). I contacted Steam; no response.

Today, it shows up I got charged $8 more. What the hell is going on??? I don't understand what is happening. I only bought this through Steam. I need help, don't even know who to contact!

No, I also paid $40 for the game. That's not it.

It turns out i have been paying for this for three months without noticing. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. If this is because I opened an account and paid a one time £5 payment for a month (without giving permission for continuous payments after that), I will be very ****ed off. They never asked me to charge me eight bucks per month. I don't even play FML and my team is not even active. Are you serious? You guys have gotten 70 dollars out of me in the past three months. I demand a response.

You guys have gotten 70 dollars out of me in the past three months. I demand a response.

First off, grow up and learn some manners. You might as well go to the George Lucas Fanclub website and 'demand a response' there.

Sports Interactive DESIGNED the game, if there is an issue with the payment for the game, then you should contact the people who SOLD you the game, the DISTRIBUTOR - Steam in this case.

SI have nothing to do with how much you paid for the game and are not responsible for any errors with Steam's payment systems, because SI and STEAM are two separate companies. Throwing a tantrum and 'demanding a response' won't change anything.

First off, grow up and learn some manners.

Relax pal I dont think he said anything that deserved that kind of response from you.

He is perfectly entitled to bring it up in here, and with some friendly advice he will be able to get in touch with the relevant people.

I would suggest sending steam an email and ask them to clarify the payment system.

It sounds like you signed up to try FML out. With pretty much most things, these type of memberships carry on automatically if you don't cancel them.

If that's the case, did you get FM from Steam or the FML website? If you got it from Steam, you need to contact them. Otherwise, you should have an email with details on how to cancel from when you first signed up. Either do that or if you don't have it, contact SEGA. You'll find a number on the back of your FM manual.

If this is because I opened an account and paid a one time £5 payment for a month (without giving permission for continuous payments after that), I will be very ****ed off. They never asked me to charge me eight bucks per month.

http://www.footballmanagerlive.com/legal/payment-terms.php

I won't even bother responding to that guy saying I should learn manners. Have an automatic payment of 10 bucks come out of your bank account for three months now withouw knowing where it comes from and how to stop it and we'll talk.

OK, now I'm freaked out. FML Support just told me they did not charge me for anything in the past three months. I really have no idea where it could be from now. When I bought FM on Steam, the bank showed "Valve something" on the transaction, nothing about Football Manager like this one. Can anybody from SI help me please?

I won't even bother responding to that guy saying I should learn manners. Have an automatic payment of 10 bucks come out of your bank account for three months now withouw knowing where it comes from and how to stop it and we'll talk.

OK, now I'm freaked out. FML Support just told me they did not charge me for anything in the past three months. I really have no idea where it could be from now. When I bought FM on Steam, the bank showed "Valve something" on the transaction, nothing about Football Manager like this one. Can anybody from SI help me please?

If i were you i'd be getting in touch with my card company.

The other guy was harsh but he kinda has a point. if you dont know where its coming from and its not FML, go to the bank to get the payments stopped and investigated. It would get things sorted much quicker

Next time you're installing or signing up for something, you may want to actually read the ToS before agreeing to continue. That little "I have read and agree... etc" checkbox is not just there to inconvenience you, it is there to ensure that when you sign up for FML you understand that you are granting permission to have the monthly subscription fee automatically deducted using your registered billing details. Unfortunately you'll just have to accept this as an expensive lesson.

By the way, the details to cancel your subscription can also be found in the user agreement which you said you had read and agreed to, so you might want to have a read.

Next time you're installing or signing up for something, you may want to actually read the ToS before agreeing to continue. That little "I have read and agree... etc" checkbox is not just there to inconvenience you, it is there to ensure that when you sign up for FML you understand that you are granting permission to have the monthly subscription fee automatically deducted using your registered billing details. Unfortunately you'll just have to accept this as an expensive lesson.

By the way, the details to cancel your subscription can also be found in the user agreement which you said you had read and agreed to, so you might want to have a read.

FML Support just said that I did not agree to any payments and that they have not charged me for anything. So it's not them.

This is GD though. 98% of people here are stupid.

Pretty much everyone on the internet thinks they're the smart guy surrounded by numpties. All blogs and forums I've ever visited back that up.

With the anonymous card and no chance of having one's teeth smashed down the back of one's throat, it's easy to play the gobby one on here mate.

Hello,

I'm not 100% sure what you have and haven't purchased. You bought Football Manager via Steam and you signed up for FML - or have I misunderstood somewhere?

If you've had contact from the FML team stating that it wasn't them then that clears that up, I would think? Although the amount and the monthly payment would appear to be more likely to be an FML payment than anything that we could charge you for FM (we can't actually charge you for FM, we don't sell it direct - you have to buy via a retailer).

I suggest the next thing you need to try is contacting Steam and seeing if they've made a billing error of some kind and started charging you for FML when you've actually purchased FM?

Cheers

Matt

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

I'm not 100% sure what you have and haven't purchased. You bought Football Manager via Steam and you signed up for FML - or have I misunderstood somewhere?

If you've had contact from the FML team stating that it wasn't them then that clears that up, I would think? Although the amount and the monthly payment would appear to be more likely to be an FML payment than anything that we could charge you for FM (we can't actually charge you for FM, we don't sell it direct - you have to buy via a retailer).

I suggest the next thing you need to try is contacting Steam and seeing if they've made a billing error of some kind and started charging you for FML when you've actually purchased FM?

Cheers

Matt

Well, it's clear now.

I had to cancel my card, request a new one, and change all my payments to the new card, just because of a £5 monthly payment which nobody took accountability for. As I said early, I contacted FML support and they told me I had just signed up for the first month and nothing else, and since they had not been charging me, they could not stop anything.

After going through the hassle of having to change my card and everything that went with it, I receive an email today (the day the withdrawal usually happened), from FML, saying "my subscription payment could not go through". Minutes later, i receive another one saying "my subscription has been cancelled due to lack of payment".

Great job, SI. You kept charging me money every month without asking me if I wanted to play FML (haven't logged in since that one month subscription four months ago), and when i ask you to stop, you say you are not charging me. You might want to check what happened there, this was like I was dealing with a small, very irresponsible company that is trying to scam anyone out of money.

Anyway, i know now that i will never look into FML ever again, that's for sure.

You might want to go back to the FML people and ask them to clarify if you have been charged again, or speak to someone who can advise you how you can retrieve your money, whether it is fraud or an error on SI's part.

I had a £30 payment on my card to "The Bookshop Company". I purchase my books from Amazon and Waterstones, so I knew it was fraud. You could be the same.

First off, you should be able to claim this payment back via your bank so you would not have lost any money. You simply need to backup that you never signed anything for the amount stated. The copy of the receipt says "non-pin" which would clarify it wasnt on your say-so. As annoyed as you are and I can believe you are, you should not lose the money. Sega should be able to back you up on this since they confirmed you hadn't signed up for anything.

Secondly, why do people use Steam? If its ever going to fail it will be with this. They accept no responsibility other than to email them and that takes time, meanwhile you're stressing out and losing it on forums. I cannot see the Steam system as the right way for future sales, if they are unable to tell the difference between FM and FML then they clearly should not be trading in the product. Then again, its a business and as long as payments are made then all is well.

Great job, SI. You kept charging me money every month without asking me if I wanted to play FML (haven't logged in since that one month subscription four months ago), and when i ask you to stop, you say you are not charging me. You might want to check what happened there, this was like I was dealing with a small, very irresponsible company that is trying to scam anyone out of money.

Clearly the information you supplied them wasn't enough for them to identify the correct account which you'd subscribed with, which is a problem.

Secondly, why do people use Steam? If its ever going to fail it will be with this. They accept no responsibility other than to email them and that takes time, meanwhile you're stressing out and losing it on forums. I cannot see the Steam system as the right way for future sales, if they are unable to tell the difference between FM and FML then they clearly should not be trading in the product. Then again, its a business and as long as payments are made then all is well.

Urm I don't see anything that can remotely be Steam to blame.

It seems the payment was for FML which is a transaction between the OP and Sega (or one of their partners).

It also seems the OP got confused between FM & FML and it seems FM was possibly purchased through Steam and then people, inc the OP jumped to conclusions. Is it any wonder Steam couldn't help him when they didn't have a clue what he was on about.

They seem to be an innocent 3rd party that the OP blamed.

Well, it's clear now.

I had to cancel my card, request a new one, and change all my payments to the new card, just because of a £5 monthly payment which nobody took accountability for. As I said early, I contacted FML support and they told me I had just signed up for the first month and nothing else, and since they had not been charging me, they could not stop anything.

After going through the hassle of having to change my card and everything that went with it, I receive an email today (the day the withdrawal usually happened), from FML, saying "my subscription payment could not go through". Minutes later, i receive another one saying "my subscription has been cancelled due to lack of payment".

your attitude is extremely poor, also for future reference dont cancel your card just cancel the direct debit, save you a lot of bother.

steam forums may have been a better place to go if you beileved it wasnt fml

great job on you for entering you bank details to a subscription based game and thinking they wouldnt continue to take payments (being a subscription and all)

bravo!

Well, it's clear now.

Ring FML again and ask them to provide a merhcant view. Nobody can argue with one of these. It shows any "ghost" charges. ( It may be that they are charging you but the system doesnt show this)

A merchant view will show every transaction with your card. Be it charges or refunds.

If they find that they have charged you then brill. A refund will be done :)

Every subscription service that offers you the first x months free always states that it will start charging you the normal subscription rate after the trial period - so great job you, for reading the terms and conditions.

You let your card details be used for something you couldn't be bothered to spend 30s reading the info for: you have only yourself to blame.

Archived