Balotelli for £5.5m - Yes or No?

Sign Balotelli?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Sign Balotelli?

• Yes, sign him up!
    • No, he is a lazy liability!

Does anyone remember a Brazilian player called Djalminha for one of the earlier CM's? Possibly 99/00, 00/01 or 01/02, I can remember the exact version. Anyway, Balotelli is FM 11's version of him - an uncontrollable player who can be a match winner, but is generally more trouble than he's worth.

He is easily worth 5.5mill, you just have to handle him correctly.

He can be troublesome but if you weigh up the good and bad for 5.5mill, it's a bargain.

I signed him for 9mill and in one season he played 38, scored 14 and assisted 20. He played up front, AML and AMR.

He's a good buy at £5.5 m

He is inconsistent and he is VERY selfish. He'll always be shooting from silly angles/distances so you won't want to rely on him as an important player. But he is a good, versatile player so worth having in the squad to cover for injuries/tiredness or to bring on as a sub.

Wow, this guy really splits opinion. I have no money as I got Rooney at the beginning of the season with a budget adjustment. But was thinking of buying him 'at the end of the season' with next seasons funds hopefully in the bank.

I have Rooney, Defoe, Babacar, Cardozo, Sahar, Maletic and Crouch but cannot resist a bargain.

Cannot believe how tight the vote is!

If he's anything like the Balotelli who's listed for 5.5m in my game, he'll want ~8m in signing on fees and about 150k p/w. If you've got money to burn - then he's a good buy. If you're on a bit of a budget I'd avoid.

Yes that is exactly the scenario!

I never buy anyone who doesn't have a minimum of 10 for all three attributes of Determination, Teamwork and Workrate. I don't care how good they think they are. :)

Apart from Goalkeepers....they're a special case with special needs.

So it's a big No from me.

Does anyone remember a Brazilian player called Djalminha for one of the earlier CM's? Possibly 99/00, 00/01 or 01/02, I can remember the exact version. Anyway, Balotelli is FM 11's version of him - an uncontrollable player who can be a match winner, but is generally more trouble than he's worth.

Yeah! A friend and I were talking about him the other night. He was a bit of a nut in real life as well, was he not? I wonder what happened to him - I'm guessing he's long retired now.

Didn't ChampMan have a setting that made certain players more likely to be mental that got removed in later versions in case of legal action? I seem to remember that; they got rid of it about the same time they got rid of visible stats for chairmen IIRC.

With the current patch, you can get similar or better players for that much money if you are at the right place and the right time. So it really depends on who is available for sale. I'd say he's not worth it. He'll probably get unhappy and ruin the team morale.

• 6 months later...

Balotelli is a problem, in all of my saves he has NEVER fufilled his potential, right now at the age of 28 he is playing in Serie B for Foggia with 0 goals in 18 appearances.He never scored in 3 seasons at Sampdoria either, he hasn't scored a goal in 5 years!

This isn't the first time he has fallen off so badly either.

No.

and Yes...

1. No, because he may only cost 5mil, but look at his ridiculous wage bill! (also unless he is transfer listed you will not get him for just 5 mil. fees WILL rise)

2. Yes.. because he is a world class striker who at that age can only improve. You will gain a massive return by selling him on in a few seasons time.

No....

his visible mental attributes are godawful and you know the hidden ones are just as woeful...

For all the good potential he has, it's almost a given his temperament and his lack of professionalism will prevent him from fulfilling said potential.

So why bothering? For that money (and for a fraction of the wage/fees/bonuses) you can sign a professional striker who'll score much more than Balotelli while giving you no headaches whatsoever in the interaction dept.

I signed him for Sunderland for 3.5 million. He bitched ONCE about something or other. I told him to STFU and he did and was just fine after that. Had incredible pace and could play either up front or wide on the right if I asked him too. He even won the premier league for us on the penultimate weekend, with a 35-yard rocket free kick...against Man City!

what transfer bug? (serious question!)

i signed this guy cheaply for my npower championship team, 2 years later the board sold him cause 5.5 mio € were too good to refuse ....

I should have just offered him a new contract (didnt know about that trick before, but not sure whether i consider it cheating)

I signed him for 1.1million and 100k a week. In his first season with my team he played 38 games, scored 18 goals and got 16 assists, finishing top scorer. He won Serie A young player of the year and is regularly picked for Italy.

I've never had any problems with him. I'm on his favoured personnel list and so is my club (Fiorentina). You just have to handle him with kid gloves, but saying that, I've never really pulled any punches with him if he's ever got out of line, which has been rarely, if at all.

I'm now going to cash in on him. I'll probably get around 20-30 million for him as there is a lot of interest and his base value is now 14million.

All in all not a bad piece of business.

Edit - Oops. Just a little late with my reply to the thread. Damn you bumpers!

He is absolutely useless.

He is nearly impossible to motivate, wants astronomical wages, cannot be talked to, upsets his teammates, plays selfishly so unless his dribbling raids ends in him scoring in the first 20 minutes or so he will miss as many ccc's as he gets for the rest of the match. There are hundreds of strikers in the FM gaming world that are better buys even if the initial signing would cost you only 5.5 mills (and like 10m in bribes?).

Edit: oh... bumped post :o

Archived