Question about Team Strength

soo, i was playing a lot of managers back in the amiga years, and alot of the fifa managers, but i got bored of them they are really easy to beat.. and my cousin is saying to me for almost 2 years now play football manager play football manager play football manager

so i decided this year to buy this game and after a long struggle with the interface and all the menus i finally got used to it

now my single problem left with this game is, how do you know how strong your team is?

am i missing something here?

in all the games theres a simple number put up for position xy the strength is say 20 out of 100~~

is there such a display in this game? the game shows which attributes are important on which position, but unless i add all numbers up in a calculator i dont really have a clue which player is better than the other

so is there some kind of trick?

how do you guys do this?

the attributes even change during the season and training etc... obviously

this game would be so much easier and more fun if they could just put up some sort of number, or at least let the player self decide how he likes to rate his strikers... like 50% technical abilities and 20% mental for example or so..

this way this game is just annoying :/

FM is different from FIFA Manager in this way, so it'll take some getting used to for you. Whereas in FIFA, you can simply look at their overall rating and easily deem that a 85 rated ST is better than a 78 rated ST, FM is far more subjective and diverse. It does not attempt to summarise any player in one number, because to do so would be to overlook the basic and fundamental fact that no two players are ever the same, and to directly compare them in such a simplistic fashion is nonsensical. A 6'8" target man with 20 for Jumping and Heading may be a brilliant striker, as too may be a 5'6" forward with 20 Acceleration and Off The Ball. A left back who can't defend for his life but will run rings around the opposition right back and deliver killer crosses all day is very different to a very defensive full back who wouldn't dare venture past the halfway line.

FM understands that there are infinite player types, and to reduce their abilities to a single figure is a terrible misrepresentation of their attribute spread.

So, the task of identifying the 'better' player lies almost entirely with your interpretation of an individual's attributes. You need to be able to focus on the attributes which are most pertinent in the role he will be playing within your tactical set-up.

this game would be so much easier and more fun if they could just put up some sort of number, or at least let the player self decide how he likes to rate his strikers... like 50% technical abilities and 20% mental for example or so..

this way this game is just annoying :/

No it wouldn't.

One key reason is because you don't pick players based on who has more attribute points unless you are a bit of a moron. What you should be doing is thinking what attributes are needed for a player to fit into whatever tactical system you are using and then pick the player who fits that mould best.

For example, if your tactic relies on a poacher, i.e. a quick striker who is able to run with the ball and is good at taking 1 on 1 chances, and you had 2 players to pick from. If we call them player A and player B to make things simple. If you simply add up all of their attributes player A comes out as having more "points" overall, but player B has much higher dribbling, finishing, composure, positioning, acceleration and pace. By your system you would pick player A, whereas in reality player B would be much better in the role you were picking them for.

If you are to get anywhere with FM then you need to forget everything that Fifa Manager taught you about management games as it is all wrong.

Archived