Which highlights setting do you use?

Which highlight setting do you use while playing matches in FM?  

391 members have voted

1. 1. Which highlight setting do you use while playing matches in FM?

I use 'Key' highlights mainly, but on what i think may be a tough game i sometimes go to extended highlights.

I'm sort of like this, except I mainly use 'extended' but switch to 'key' sometimes for the 'easier' games.

I mainly start off with extended for pretty much every match but, for instance, if I get a quick lead and things are going really well against smaller opposition, I'll switch to key. Or, if I'm playing in a match which doesn't really count for anything (e.g. I've already qualified or something) then I'll go for key. For the big games, it's always extended.

I'm sort of like this, except I mainly use 'extended' but switch to 'key' sometimes for the 'easier' games.

I mainly start off with extended for pretty much every match but, for instance, if I get a quick lead and things are going really well against smaller opposition, I'll switch to key. Or, if I'm playing in a match which doesn't really count for anything (e.g. I've already qualified or something) then I'll go for key. For the big games, it's always extended.

I should have added my reason for mainly using extended and that is because I think it gives me more time to react to what is happening in the game and more highlights to base my decisions on. I feel a bit more confident tactically when I have seen more of the game.

Full game would be too much for me and key feels like too little.

I play on "key" and i usually watch one match on "full" in the beginning of the season to see if my 442diamond fits the new team/new palyers.

But i stop and pause the game a lot, tweak and study stats during the game, it takes me about a half an hour to go trough one game on "key". Waching a game on extended is just boring, as the highlights you get are yellow cards and people taking throw ins. Key is optimal as with that you get nearly (or it might be all, i don't know) all actions that end up with a shot at goal.

Start every game on full just to make sure everything is going as planned. Unless Ive spotted any problems early on- swap to Extended. If I go 2 goals up, switch to key. Towards the end of the season- if there is not a lot to play for I try and get through them quick. Key / Commentary Only.

Until today it was full game.

15 games in to the season and I can't just take it anymore, aweful players with even worse skills.

Extended highlights from now on, until my team breaks me down, then I go key.

I would never ever use commetary only, I rather start a diff game. Like Bookworm.

• 2 months later...

I use Full match. It's the way to get the real feeling of it. As I read in an old thread, playing full matches creates a whole new feeling other than just focus on having the top players of the game to get you the Champions league in a few seasons. And I use the speed tool in -1 (the level right below the middle). So, yes, it takes a while to get a whole season done!

Now, for all of you who play in full match, let me ask you this: do you get random time fastening when, mostly in second half, you go to your tactics, make a change or two, and then, when you're back to the game, the game just goes forward as if you were in "key highlights". This is very annoying, and even more because sometimes I go back just to see what happened, and there are important chances that are missed (once there was a red card that was skipped...). I think this start happening from patch 10.3 and is now even more frequent in FM11

Surprised to see so many use the key and extended. I know a lot of people who play the game and everyone of them use's only commentary and that's what i also use.

The extended and key doesn't interest me at the min because of some of the things i see in there like my defender booting the ball out even thought there's no one within 30 yards of him and strikers that are through on goal shoot and don't even hit the corner flag.

I would rather leave it to the imagination and use commentary.

Commentary only with goals on replay, time is one reason, things in the match engine annoy me so seein this as little as possible is a good thing i'e player slding 30/40 yards on his knees to meet a ball and score WTF???

like others, key is what i use mainly as it lets me work through seasons quick enough whilst getting to see where chances are being created for and against me. when im at a new side working on my tactics and checking on my main strengths and weaknesses ill use full.

I use Key highlights most of the time.

When i first load FM up afer not playing on it for a while i normally start off with extended highlights, but after 7 or 8 games i start to get bored and switch back to Key so i can get through the season quicker.

Extended and occasionally full matches when I feel my tactics are failing and I can't identify the reason.

I sometimes drop it down to 'Commentary Only' when things don't go to plan and I can't bear to watch!

Tend to do this myself sometimes. Like when going a couple of goals down against a clearly stronger opponent and I know I'll most likely get slaughtered. Rather get this over with quickly and on to the next one.

Always key, and hate how it's too long. Watching players setting up the ball for a free kick isn't really a key moment.

I actually fast fwd parts of highlights that shouldn't be highlights... like the ball being returned to play and the corner taker walking 50m to take a corner. What would normally take 20 secs now takes 5.

Key on important matches, but generally just commentary - I am for one, lazy and two, dont have the time to watch the game when I personally get nothing from it because of reason one. Watching it wont make me look in to the game and change things.

The only time I do commentary only is when it's a penalty shoot-out and I can't bare to watch it. :D

Thats the only time i do watch it in full. So I can use the old 'click on the keeper' trick. The cursor nudging him puts him off you see.

Key highlights for me, has been since the day 2D was introduced. I used to go with extended for cup finals or really important games, but I don't even bother doing that any more.

How anyone can sit and watch the full match is beyond me.

If:

- the engine was sophisticated enough

- it made a real difference if touchline instructions were used

- there were noticeable penalties when players were in the wrong motivation or confusing press comment

- you had a real disadvantage if you were playing 9 men against 10 due to one of your players being treated on the touch line

- there was a change of importance in player performance due to something micro like relationships, passion/hate....

etc. etc. etc.

...then people would be forced to play the full match - paying extra attention to tactics, motivation, press, team talks, relationships - in order to have any prayer of winning anything, let alone a Champions league.

Although FM isn't broken, it has a crack. Once you get there, the game loses its glory.

The really sad thing, is that it is still the best simulation around.

Archived