I was leading 4-1 at half-time, said "Pleased"...

Telling your players you're happy when you're three goals up has never damaged their performance when i've used it. Its when you're up by 2 goals thats the worry.

Depends on the context.

• Playing as West Ham, 2-0 up away against Chelsea is at least 'Pleased' if not 'Delighted'
  • Playing as Chelsea, 2-0 up at home against West Ham, I'd say nothing as it is about what I'd expect. I might praise a couple of players and tell one to pull his socks up, but that would be it.

As Man Utd: Comfortable 3-1 lead away to Sunderland at half time.

Tell my players Pleased.

Guess what :rolleyes:

Minute 46. Goal Sunderland 2-3

Minute 48. Goal Sunderland 3-3

Minute 65. Goal Sunderland Darren Bent screamer from 45 yards (think C Ronaldo vs Porto) 4-3

Team talks. :rolleyes:

Tell my players Pleased.

Minute 28. Goal Sunderland 3-3

Minute 65. Goal Sunderland Darren Bent screamer from 45 yards (think C Ronaldo vs Porto) 4-3

Were you actually pleased? Was a 3-1 lead really quite a bit better than expected? Or was it pretty much what you'd hoped for?

I'd have told a couple of guys they'd done well or I had faith in them finishing off the game for me and left the rest of the team to it. I'd have also played more conservatively early in the 2nd half in the expectation that Sunderland would come at me. Once the passion had fizzled out, I'd have looked for a fourth, and then perhaps even a fifth as the crowd got on their backs.

I remember back in FM09...

I was chelsea away at PSV. Im up 3-0 after 30 mins and then in the 40th PSV had a man sent off.

At half time I had the biggest smile on my face.

I tell my players pleased....because I was. We were dominating. PSV only had 1 shot in the first half. I shouldve been up 7-0 tbf.

25 seconds into the 2nd half its 3-1.

3 minutes later its 3-2.

In the 54th....they equalise. A player hits a shot from 35 yards out.

10 man PSV score 3 goals against me in 9 minutes. :rolleyes:

Lucky for me I had a man named michael ballack sitting on the bench.

I threw him on and in the 94th minute he hits one from like 40 yards out into the top corner. :D

Last time I ever said pleased....;)

I never, EVER say pleased. If I am 2 goals up I always say Thrilled. If I am 1 goal up, ill say Encourage or We can Win or something like that. If I am 4 or more up, Dont let your performance drop. Every time I use pleased, I end up losing.

I'm always pleased after we win a game. I'm never pleased half way through it! Gotta keep 'em on their toes!

When you are leading, it's more about what the other manager does than what you do.

If you are already winning, then naturally you will have less motivation to play 100%, while the other team will work extra hard to bring it level, and they will come close to doing it as long as the tactic and the team talk was right.

eg. Bolton vs Blackpool the other day.

Tell my players Pleased.

Minute 28. Goal Sunderland 3-3

That is nothing to do with team talks but more to do with the brilliance of Darren Bent the best striker on any FM ever.

I pretty much used pleased when I am 2 or more goals ahead along with I have faith on anyone playing over a 7.5. Seems to work very well.

Does nobody understand that team talks are contextual? There is no set 'this scoreline = this team talk' formula.

How your team is playing, the pre-match expectations, individual performances, player morale, and player personality all need to be taken into consideration. Although the actual team talks are somewhat ambiguous, the logic underlying them is really quite good.

Does nobody understand that team talks are contextual? There is no set 'this scoreline = this team talk' formula.

How your team is playing, the pre-match expectations, individual performances, player morale, and player personality all need to be taken into consideration. Although the actual team talks are somewhat ambiguous, the logic underlying them is really quite good.

Yeah it's true. You don't say the same thing to your key player who is doing a 6.8 and a fresh new youngster doing the same 6.8 for example.

in the previous versions the "Pleased" option was definitely the "I LOSE" button most of the time but I think it has been improved somewhat this year so that we can go with our gut feeling and come away with a fairly good result. But this requires you to watch the game carefully.

Archived