How do you prevent or defend against the through-ball goals?

This happens every game atleast twice a game. I see the CPU opposition forward (we'll call him cpu player A) moving up the pitch passing back and forth, and while this is going on I see a lonely CPU player up near the box (cpu player B) just kinda hanging out moving around a little bit.

Then it happens....

CPU player A kicks a through-ball grounder that somehow goes perfectly past my defenders right in front of the path of CPU player B who is right there for the goal shot. Kick.. Goaaaaaaaaal. I hold my breath every time it happens yelling at the computer screen "SAVE IT SAVE IT PLEASE". Sometimes Steele (I play Boro) makes an incredible save, but most of the time it's a goal.

1. Is there any way to prevent or defend this from happening all the time? I can understand one of my weaker defenders being out of position and this happening, but I mean teams are doing this against David Wheater which is pretty ridiculous.

2. How do I make my defenders go for the attacker and rush him instead of playing away from them all the time?

It's almost like my defenders are letting the opposition setup and pass the ball with ease. They don't rush, or very few do. I want some of my defenders to play AGGRESSIVE ball and tackle tackle tackle all the time. If they get cards, so be it. I want them to play the ball more than they do.

I know how to set opposition instructions but the hard tackle setting just makes them tackle more aggressive, not be in their face all the time which is actually what I'm looking for.

Very frustrating. Any hints/tips would be grateful.

I find that playing 2 deep DM will help. For example is you play a deep 4-2-3-1 your 2 deep DM should be able to mark the creative midfielders who deliver these through balls out of the game.

I don't you'll be able to stop or completely eliminate them as you are always bound to have a defender make a mistake or be caught out of position which would lead to a good opportunity.

I find that playing 2 deep DM will help. For example is you play a deep 4-2-3-1 your 2 deep DM should be able to mark the creative midfielders who deliver these through balls out of the game.

I don't you'll be able to stop or completely eliminate them as you are always bound to have a defender make a mistake or be caught out of position which would lead to a good opportunity.

Got ya. Just so I'm not crazy, are you finding the CPU players doing these through-ball goals to you too?

Got ya. Just so I'm not crazy, are you finding the CPU players doing these through-ball goals to you too?
I think you'll always concede a certain amount of these types of goals, I don't think there is a one size fits all solution. Having said that I find squeezing up the pitch to stop the midfielder's picking out the pass helps, as well as putting you'r more attacking players on support instead of attack, which creates more congestion in the middle. If you put the opp instructions to tackle hard on the midfielder's this will stop them having time on the ball as well as creating counter-attacking opportunities for your team. Also, I would always use at least one DM in any tactic. I find it the most important position in my team.

Obviously there are many other things people do but these are the most effective for me, give it a go.

5-4-1 does a decent job as well.

Problem not solved, then the lack of goals starts to haunt you. So you need a good target-man. The DMC needs to be of a certain quality as well. Then you built it up from there. That is the 2 key roles in those systems I'd say. Sorta same apply to the other deep tactics.

you will find that their CM's will play most of the through balls so setting them to be closed down will always help, you could try playing the offside trap but this can go wrong quickly if your defenders are not up to it. Also employing a sweeper should help as he will sit behind the defenders to mop up the through ball.

I'm pretty sure this problem is related to team gelling. At the start of the season I couldn't buy a clean sheet but by the end I had the meanest defence in the league.

I didn't make any specific changes to my tactics.

Which were these: two supporting FBs, 2 DCs set for stopper and cover, deep defensive line and a defensive MC rather than out and out DMC.

• 5 years later...
  • HUNT3R locked this topic

Archived